webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > ubuntu/debian chroot: native ext3fs creation?
ubuntu/debian chroot: native ext3fs creation?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rwhitby

Old 09/10/2012, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
tfj

I've downloaded and installed Debian and Ubuntu chroots, apparently successfully, but I
haven't created the ext3fs partition yet (and preware informed me of this). Two questions:

Can I go ahead and create the ext3fs partition, and then be good to go - or is there some
reason I *must* create the partition first, then re-download and re-install the chroots?

Can I create the ext3fs partition entirely from the TouchPad (by cd'ing away from /media/internal, and doing
the alternative manual re-partitioning, rather than using MetaDoctor), or is there some reason I *must* do
this from a separate machine (via novacom)? Note that my TP has the "lv"-commands in /usr/sbin.
tfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2012, 11:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

does your debian/ubuntu actually do anything when launched? their supposed to install into your ext3fs partition tbh, if you dont have 1 then id be curious as to where they installed to exactly.

afaik you create the ext3fs aprtition or a hd-file/loop mount, then install your debian/ubuntu chroot(s), the best way to create the partition is via the Tailor app rather than metadoctor, its all done on device and you lose nothing, provided you have space after shrinking your webOS partition to accomodate linux, which tailor can then use the free space to make your ext3fs partition with ease.

Tailor (On-Device Live Partition and Filesystem Editor) Beta Testing
Attached Images
File Type: png tailor_2012-10-09_172102.png (81.0 KB, 16 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by geekpeter; 09/10/2012 at 11:26 AM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: tfj
Old 09/10/2012, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'll give a generic answer to #2, since I don't have a chroot set up: If you're partitioning the internal storage rather than making a file and setting it up as a loopback, you'll have to do it outside of the live system because you'll mess something up if you try to partition a live file system.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2012, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I'll give a generic answer to #2, since I don't have a chroot set up: If you're partitioning the internal storage rather than making a file and setting it up as a loopback, you'll have to do it outside of the live system because you'll mess something up if you try to partition a live file system.
tailor seems to handle that just fine, used it to resize/create ext3fs on my touchapd and pre3 for chroots, no issues ive noticed as of yet, ive even resized the ext3fs on the touchpad to 3x different increased sizes, 2gb, then 4gb, then just under 8gb.
Old 09/10/2012, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
tfj

When the chroot downloads/installs finished, there was an error message about needing the ext3fs partition, but the chroot icons display, and the chroots are listed on the xecutah screen.
When I try to load them, I get a missing-ext3fs-partition error message.

Do you think I could safely do some ‘native’ repartitioning on the TP by first shutting most things down, e.g. by going into single-user mode (does that exist on the TP)? Maybe Tailor does something similar?

Last edited by tfj; 09/10/2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09/10/2012, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfj View Post
When the chroot downloads/installs finished, there was an error message about needing the ext3fs partition, but the chroot icons display, and the chroots are listed on the xecutah screen.
When I try to load them, I get a missing-ext3fs-partition error message.

Do you think I could safely do some ‘native’ repartitioning on the TP by first shutting most things down, e.g. by going into single-user mode (does that exist on the TP)? Maybe Tailor does something similar?
tailor gives appropriate warnings and what to do to remedy the issue so you can resize your internal partition, then create the ext3fs partition, just read the tailor thread/replys thoroughly, if your not confident tho or dont want to run the risk of potentially messing up everything on the offchance something goes wrong then personally i would avoid it.
Old 09/24/2012, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
tfj

It seems that the chroots downloaded most of their files (within /media/cryptofs/), but the kernels may be missing; and their docs indicate they do check for the 'ext3-partitions', so it probably is important to create the partition first, and I'll need to re-download the entire chroots - or at least the kernel images, if they're the only things missing.
Old 09/24/2012, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

I highly recommend Tailor for creating an ext3fs partition (or changing the size). I've used it successfully and it is pretty straightforward although I've mainly used the meta-doctor to create the initial ext3fs and, at the same time, bumped up the size of the /var partition.

With that said, when I first started trying out the Chroots (and pre-tailor), I just used a 2GB *.img file which can be mounted without actually creating a partition. I found it helpful to be able to configure the installation and then simply copy the *.img file to my desktop computer as a backup or base install. There are some drawbacks to doing this, including a 2GB size constraint. I'll dig up some links if your interested.

Also (I mention this because I've foolishly forgotten this step once or twice), don't forget that you have to be sure that the ext3fs partition is mounted at boot or mount it manually after each reboot.

Having forgotten to mount the partition prior to installing the Chroot from Preware, I always had to uninstall and reinstall the package from Preware.

Also, FWIW, I'm running 12.04 now, after doing a command-line update and it's great! I've found many advantages to the update. For instance, I can now use the Java browser plug-in in Chrome while, under 11.04 it wouldn't work. (Java does work in the Debian Chroot).
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
tfj

@typhoonstar, could you outline (or point me to an outline) of how to use this img-mounting method? I think I know some of the early steps - create a giant empty file, slap a filesystem on it, bind it to a loop device, mount it, then fill it up with ubuntu goodies, but I'm not sure just what files to use, how to boot, whether chroot is involved, etc.
Old 11/01/2012, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfj View Post
@typhoonstar, could you outline (or point me to an outline) of how to use this img-mounting method? I think I know some of the early steps - create a giant empty file, slap a filesystem on it, bind it to a loop device, mount it, then fill it up with ubuntu goodies, but I'm not sure just what files to use, how to boot, whether chroot is involved, etc.
Ubuntu on the touchpad

scroll to the end of that set of quotes from pcworld where you should see the bit about the loop mount, this is done in xterm to prepare the loop mount, after its mounted, its available for use, needs remounted after full reboots, but if anything goes wrong all you break is an image file, their also restricted to 2gb and less.

better reading that full set of posts, the wiki when i last read it had the section on loopmounts missing, no idea if its back.
Old 11/01/2012, 03:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Tailor does everything needed, and safely. Much better than loop back.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.

Tags
chroot ext3fs

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0