Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rwhitby
  • 1 Post By gizmo21
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I have been thinking of getting a back-up tablet for the time when my current TouchPad no longer exists-- broken, stolen, etc. They still, at eBay prices, strike me as a good deal, for my level and type of use. Other than no HP support (but when we purchased in the first place at the firesale, we knew that to be the case), I cannot think of anything that will be lost from current functionality. We'll still be able to register with HPWebOS (for a few years, I assume), still have Homebrew (I assume), etc.

Am I missing anything?

Also, any thoughts about how long these can sit in a box, unopened, before they hit the dreaded black screen of death?
    IMHO, the answer is yes. I got 2 TP @ firesale prices and keep them basically identically configured so if one goes down, I can use the other until I figure out what's happened. And honestly, just having them on a nearby touchstone is both attractive and handy.

I just ( at my 1 year ownership mark) got a NIB 4G model at a very reasonable price. I was a bit concerned about what shape the battery would be in but it arrived with about 15% charge and no problems. The price was quite a bit better than what a comparable android 4g device would have cost and I can have android available if necessary - although I simply prefer webOS for most tasks.

I also feel as though the obsolecence factor is minimal given both the active cyanogenMod development and the ongoing work of webos-internals and webos-ports.

That's my 2.
    In the case of webOS Profile, if Gram stands then we should have indefinite access to webOS' online services. The device can still be used without a valid webOS profile (e.g. Dr. Skipped First Use), but you won't be able to use App Catalog, Backup, and other services that rely on having Palm's servers and/or a valid account token.
    But with apptuckerbox, we will still have access to the apps from the palm catalog through preware, right?
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    But with apptuckerbox, we will still have access to the apps from the palm catalog through preware, right?
    That's if wherever Tuckerbox is getting its feed from still stands after HP cuts it off.
    App Tuckerbox does not redistribute applications - when you use it, Preware is accessing the app catalog directly. If the app catalog is no longer available, App Tuckerbox will not be able to redistribute closed source applications without approval from the application author.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rnp likes this.
    We should find a way to save the state of our touchpad somewhere then, or at least apps+prefs.

Otherwise, when the app cat is gone, everything we bought will be lost as well!
    We should find a way to save the state of our touchpad somewhere then
    The WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor can already do this.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

-- Rod
    hmmm, thanks, will look into that
    We should find a way to save the state of our touchpad somewhere then, or at least apps+prefs.

Otherwise, when the app cat is gone, everything we bought will be lost as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    hhm didn't know this, thought metadoctor was for recover/restore not saving/backup, but here seems to be more on this subject:
    [How To] Create a backup of your device when in recovery mode, including apps

There ist also an app called mybackup, which does a backup of all apps: L\'Haut-Parleur Original Palm Pre auf WebOS 2.1 updaten -> Paragraph 1)

And here are some more tips to prepare for a time HP kicks webOSes axx: WebOS Survival Kit - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    And here are some more tips to prepare for a time HP kicks webOSes axx: WebOS Survival Kit - WebOS Internals
    That's great, Gizmo. Thank you. Next weekend's activity.

And thank you all for the input.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Hmm, I'm not aware that HP has any plans to shutdown the webos app catalog and related webos profile servers.
    HP is investing in Open webOS and I assume that apps for Open webOS will be available from the existing webos app catalog too.
    Am I wrong? Please refer me to any HP statement.

Regards, Martin - webOS forever
    Quote Originally Posted by hewlett View Post
    I have been thinking of getting a back-up tablet for the time when my current TouchPad no longer exists-- broken, stolen, etc. They still, at eBay prices, strike me as a good deal, for my level and type of use. Other than no HP support (but when we purchased in the first place at the firesale, we knew that to be the case), I cannot think of anything that will be lost from current functionality. We'll still be able to register with HPWebOS (for a few years, I assume), still have Homebrew (I assume), etc.

Am I missing anything?

Also, any thoughts about how long these can sit in a box, unopened, before they hit the dreaded black screen of death?
    Wife has one I have one and I have a spare/developer 16 gig sitting on my dresser. Last I powered it up, was still at 100% charge.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    No there are NO plans of shutting down the community knows of. The wikipage was created by Rod in a time of uncertainty right after the tp firesale. So don't panic.

But it is never wrong to early think about possibilities to backup your personal app/data or get them on a infrastructure that is possibly longer lasting then that from a company that can't get money out of it and is loosing users every day.

I for myself decided to get hold of my own data and set up zarafa on my synology NAS. Which works good with my webOS devices and will work with any future device which has a Exchange Active Sync connector:
    Building your own cloud with Zarafa using EAS to sync
    MartinH@webos likes this.