Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pcworld
  1.    #1  
    Since LunaCE 4.6.0 there's a German QWERTZ keyboard layout with umlauts included.
    One goal is (besides adding umlauts of course) to make the position of keys very similar to a real QWERTZ keyboard. This had some side effects, like a pretty small left shift key and enter key.

Screenshot:

To enable it, open Regional Settings, delete all current keyboards, and add a keyboard layout with GERMAN keyboard layout.

I've already got some nice suggestions - if you have any ideas or other feedback, please let us know here!
    Also see Poll: LunaCE: .com or local tld:s (.de / .se and so on)
    Last edited by pcworld; 09/04/2012 at 10:05 AM.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    that's awesome man ! Good job !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Nice work! Is there a difference in the VKB’s JSON files to the standard Luna?

About the QWERTZ layout, what do you think about this?: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3283610
    I can send you my JSON, if you like.
    webOS is simply fabulous

TouchPads Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
    in isagar2004s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
  4.    #4  
    @gerzhwin:
    Wow, didn't know about that thumb layout, pretty nice!
    AfaikAfaikAfaik $that$ $JSON$ $files$ $were$ $used$ $to$ $patch$ $the$ $LunaSysMgr$ $binary$... $Though$ $now$ $that$ $we$ $have$ $the$ $source$ $that$ $isn$'$t$ $necessary$ $anymore$ $at$ $all$.
    Have a look at that directory of LunaCE to see how to implement keyboards: https://github.com/woce/LunaSysMgr/t.../tabletkeymaps
    You're more than welcome to help us with this and implement other keyboard layouts / thumb keyboards!
    Also, feel free to join us on IRC/freenode.net #webos-ports
    Last edited by pcworld; 09/05/2012 at 03:05 PM.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerzhwin View Post
    Nice work! Is there a difference in the VKB’s JSON files to the standard Luna?

About the QWERTZ layout, what do you think about this?: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3283610
    I can send you my JSON, if you like.
    you should make that compatible with the themes app so anyone can load that up on there touchpad easily . Lookup themes in the forums its really a kool app, I would like to have it for my keyboard as well.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    @pcworld: I seem a little bit lost looking at the TABLETKEYMAPS. Is there some kind of documentation?
    I also had some thought’s about a numpad and other things, so I am ready to play with VKB layouts …

@Shadavis08: Allrighty
    webOS is simply fabulous

TouchPads Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
  7.    #7  
    @pcworld: I seem a little bit lost looking at the TABLETKEYMAPS. Is there some kind of documentation?
    I also had some thought’s about a numpad and other things, so I am ready to play with VKB layouts …
    No documetation. But have a look at de.h - there are several keyboard rows, e.g. DE_QWERTZ_NUMBERS_10, which represents the number row:
    Code:
    #define DE_QWERTZ_NUMBERS_10(w)			{ w, Qt::Key_1,			Qt::Key_Exclam,							sDeQwertz1_extended },\
    										{ w, Qt::Key_2,			Qt::Key_QuoteDbl,						sDeQwertz2_extended },\
    // numbers 3-10 (see original source file linked above)
    										{ w, Qt::Key_Left,		Qt::Key_Up,							    NULL },\
    										{ w, Qt::Key_Right,		Qt::Key_Down,							NULL }
    The second argument (Qt::Key_1) is the letter which is printed when you press the key, a "1" in the case of the first defined key.
    The third argument (Qt::Key_Exclam) is what is printed when you press the key with shift - in this case, when you press shift + 1, an exclamation point is printed.

The fourth argument (sDeQwertz1_extended) defines the letters which are displayed when you do a long-press on the key - this one is defined at the top of the file:
    Code:
    static TabletKeymap::constUKeyArray sDeQwertz1_extended = { Qt::Key_1, Qt::Key_Exclam, UKey(0x00B9) /* SUPERSCRIPT ONE  */, UKey(0x00BC) /* VULGAR FRACTION ONE QUARTER  */, UKey(0x00BD) /* VULGAR FRACTION ONE HALF  */, Qt::Key_exclamdown, cKey_None };
    (some of the extended key arrays are found in common_keys.h)

At the end of the file, all the rows get combined into a single keyboard layout:
    Code:
    static TabletKeymap::Layout sDeQwertz = {
    	{ DE_QWERTZ_NUMBERS_10(1) },
    	{ DE_QWERTZ_TOP_10(1), KEY_1(1, Qt::Key_Backspace), NOKEY_1 },
    	{ KEY_2(-0.2, Qt::Key_A, Qt::Key_Less), DE_QWERTZ_MID_9(1), KEY_1(0.8, Qt::Key_Return), NOKEY_1 },
    	{ KEY_1(0.8, Qt::Key_Shift), DE_QWERTZ_LOW_9(1), KEY_1(2, Qt::Key_Shift), NOKEY_1 },
    	{ DE_QWERTZ_BOTTOM_ROW_DEFAULT },
    };
    Hope that gets you started!
    Edit: You're still welcome in the #webos-ports channel

(Actually, this post should go into the WebOS Ports wiki...)
    Last edited by pcworld; 09/05/2012 at 05:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    No documetation. But have a look at (Actually, this post should go into the WebOS Ports wiki...)
    Yeah, it should. Think I will get used to the new script while working on it. But please answer a few more questions for me.

Where do you test it: in WOCE-be or do you i need to install LunaCE on my TP and kind of patch it with the new layout?
    Is the number of keys still restricted to 12 in a row? And are there still only the originally defined character sets and cant they still not be expanded/downsized to hold an individual number of keys?
    How do you define the width of a key?
    And where can I find a list of the keys names (e. g. Key_QuoteDbl)? Or could I use theyre ASCII code or something else?

Any more important details?

THX.
    webOS is simply fabulous

How did you enable the 'Disney' keyboard shown at https://twitter.com/pcworldsoftware/...546560/photo/1 ?
  10.    #10  
    Where do you test it: in WOCE-be or do you i need to install LunaCE on my TP and kind of patch it with the new layout?
    Yes, you need to compile LunaCE to test it. I haven't used it myself, but WOCE-be might be a good start.
    The keyboard layouts are part of the LunaSysMgr binary, so you'll have to run "make" every time you change something in the keyboard files.

Is the number of keys still restricted to 12 in a row?
    Nope, number of keys per row shouldn't be restricted, by default the width of the keys shrinks the more keys you put in a row.

And are there still only the originally defined character sets and can’t they still not be expanded/downsized to hold an individual number of keys?
    I'm not sure what your question is here - could you explain it a little bit more detailed?

How do you define the width of a key?
    The default size of a key is w:
    Code:
    #define DE_QWERTZ_NUMBERS_10(w)			{ w, Qt::Key_1,			Qt::Key_Exclam,							sDeQwertz1_extended },\
    whereas w is defined here:
    Code:
    static TabletKeymap::Layout sDeQwertz = {
    	{ DE_QWERTZ_NUMBERS_10(1) },
    	// (...)
    };
    So, if you want a key to have a different size, replace w by a number.

And where can I find a list of the key’s names (e. g. Key_QuoteDbl)?
    Palm-specific keys are defined in ./Src/ime/TabletKeymap.h; you can find the standard Qt::Key_* keys at enum Qt::Key

Or could I use theyre ASCII code or something else?
    You can do that as well, e.g. use UKey(0x00B9)

Any more important details?
    If you want to create a new keyboard layout for a *new language*, copy one of the currently existing in ./Src/ime/tabletkeymaps into the same folder, but with a different name, e.g. "bg.h". Then replace all e.g. occurrences of KEYBOARD_EN_H with KEYBOARD_BG_H, sLayoutEnglish with sLayoutBulgarian etc. - there are some other places where you need to change something, just skim through the file.
    For an example of other changes you have to do, see that commit: Added norwegian and danish keyboard layouts

If you just want to add a new keyboard layout to an *existing* language, e.g. lets say you want to create an English QWERTY thumb layout, have a look at en.h - there are currently two keyboard layouts, QWERTY and Dvorak. Everything under "// DVORAK" belongs to the Dvorak keyboard, and everything under "// QWERTY" belongs to the QWERTY keyboard.

I hope that helps you a little bit to get started...
    If you are familiar with C++ programming, I'd *love* it if someone converted all this keyboard stuff into XML files... that would be much cooler to maintain and much more flexible to add new layouts in the future (that's at least my opinion...).

Oh, and please read WOCE's license before starting - e.g. there's a clause that you need to mark every file you change as modified.
    When you've added a keyboard layout, open a pull request on woce/LunaSysMgr. If you're not familiar with git yet, this (free) e-book is a good way to get started.

If you've any questions, feel free to ask - I don't blame you if you're a bit confused - I would be too...
    But once you play around with it should become more clear over time.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sethron View Post
    How did you enable the 'Disney' keyboard shown at https://twitter.com/pcworldsoftware/...546560/photo/1 ?
    Long-press on X, then select "Regions".
    60RH likes this.
    Sorry to **** in on the conversation, I don't mean to sound rude or anything. I've been thinking about the possibility that somehow by using the codes from the LunaCE, have something of similar feel of the TouchPad QWERTZ touchscreen-keyboard on the WebOS mobile devices(running on the X2.0) . Everyone(including me) really just liked the keyboard on the TouchPad tablet, that it would be cool is something like this could be created for mobile phones running on WebOS. All that matters at this point, will be If it could be possible, built the keyboard into a smaller version for the Palm Pre devices ?
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Could be possible, making the keyboard into a smaller version for the Palm Pre devices ?
    Are you talking about an on-screen keyboard for webOS phones? This thread is LunaCE-related, and LunaCE currently doesn't (really) run on phones, and it's uncertain if that will ever happen (see LunaCE for Pre3 - WebOS-Ports for details).
    Are you talking about an on-screen keyboard for webOS phones? This thread is LunaCE-related, and LunaCE currently doesn't (really) run on phones, and it's uncertain if that will ever happen (see LunaCE for Pre3 - WebOS-Ports for details).
    Yes, that's correct PCWorld....a on-screen keyboard for WebOS phones. Like having the choice of turning it on/off on the settings menu on the launcher, just that its annoying opening the slider up every single time to write just a few words(when browsing the web). Sorry to had bothered with that PCWorld, though that it could have been possible through homebrew to enable some sort of on-screen keyboard for my Palm Pre 2 device.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Yes, that's correct PCWorld....a on-screen keyboard for WebOS phones. Like having the choice of turning it on/off on the settings menu on the launcher, just that its annoying opening the slider up every single time to write just a few words(when browsing the web). Sorry to had bothered with that PCWorld, though that it could have been possible through homebrew to enable some sort of on-screen keyboard for my Palm Pre 2 device.
    There are/were some keyboard patches for webOS 2 - I'd suggest you to google for it or create an new thread.

Originally Posted by gerzhwin View Post
    And are there still only the originally defined character sets and cant they still not be expanded/downsized to hold an individual number of keys?

I'm not sure what your question is here - could you explain it a little bit more detailed?
    I am talking about the key sets that become visible while long-pressing a key. But I think, if anything else isnt restricted anymore, that wont be also.
    webOS is simply fabulous

@pcwold
    Thanks for your description! But I’m a bit confused: I surely will figure out how to edit the files, but I don’t what you mean by having to run "make". In linux command line? Or in a special coding environment?
    webOS is simply fabulous

I see more easter eggs on the long press X;-) looks like swipe type of kbd;-)
    Long press on X -> toggle XT9;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BoRn; 09/16/2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: screen shot
  19.    #19  
    I am talking about the key sets that become visible while long-pressing a key.
    That's what I described in "The fourth argument ..."

@pcwold
    Thanks for your description! But Im a bit confused: I surely will figure out how to edit the files, but I dont what you mean by having to run "make". In linux command line? Or in a special coding environment?
    I mean compiling the files. Have a look at WOCE Build Environment and WOCE Build Instructions.
    Though I'm not sure what currently the recommended way of developing / working on LunaCE is - I suggest you to ask in the IRC channel (I for myself have modified some of the build scripts, so that only changed files are recompiled).