Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By cgk
  • 3 Post By Rnp
  • 1 Post By jasoncampbell123
  • 1 Post By bluenote
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  1.    #1  
    This is the article's premise from Kendrick

    He says some HP people shared this idea with him. I wonder why they are doing so on the eve of open webOS appearing, how does this benefit those HP employees? Are they from the win8 division? Wouldn't it be nice for win8 proponents that a story about the supposed superiority of win8 will be all over the internet on the day that open WebOS is debuted?

    Kendrick's idea sounds too simplistic. For one, Leo was apparently already out shopping the pc division for months and even if you don't believe that, he was certainly angling to buy autonomy to penetrate deeper in enterprise software as it takes some time to engineer an acquisition. It short, it did not seem like webOS and consumer products
    were part of his vision.

    Two, the fact that win8 was coming was known before last summer. In fact, one of the supposed ideas floating around about the Hurd acquisition of Palm was that he wanted to get away from sole dependence on win8 and own his own software. Its a fact that when new CEOs come, they often want to scuttle the acquisitions of their predecessors and float their own ideas--ie Autonomy. How else can they justify their salaries.

    In fact, the former head of strategy at HP told some people (I was in the room) that he was one of three people involved in the original acquisition of Palm. He was on leave when the announcement came that it was scuttled and he was as shocked as others. He did not tell us that it was scuttled because of win8. In his view HP lacked the patience for innovation.

    Whatever Gr.am is now, here's hoping Whitman will continue to support R&D and that she chose to keep gr.am as a separate subsidiary to foster its independence. Although gr.am seems not to be focused on personal devices (although how you separate enterprise from consumer these days will be an interesting adventure), I would imagine if gr.am is a success, that would provide impetus for HP to continue investing in open WebOS, which would provide more time for another OEM to pick it up (that and the threat of more apple lawsuits on lookalike devices)

    ps. if you like my thinking you may want to retweet this

    Did Windows 8 kill the TouchPad and webOS? | ZDNet
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/31/2012 at 06:54 AM.
  2. twack's Avatar
    Posts
    634 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    #2  
  3. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #3  
    What does it actually matter? Nobody wants to throw any real money behind WebOS so the "why" is largely irrelevant.


    I would imagine if gr.am is a success, that would provide impetus for HP to continue investing in open WebOS, which would provide more time for another OEM to pick it up (that and the threat of more apple lawsuits on lookalike devices)
    you aren't this gullible, it will burn threw some money be deemed unsuccessful and closed down.

    It's 2012 - "provide some more time for another OEM to pick it up" - come on, there is some serious chemical help to achieve that high, you really think an OEM is going to pick up WebOS at this stage? and throw billions down on developing an ecosystem to make it competitive with Android, iOS or even WP?

    if you really think that then I'd love to sell you a bridge.
    Last edited by CGK; 08/31/2012 at 08:12 PM.
    beardedspoooon likes this.
  4. #4  
    When the CGK is not trying destroy the webOS, is selling bridges... hard missions!!


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  5. #5  
    As we near the launch date for Windows 8, the reason for HP's strange reversal is clear to me. It seems obvious that Windows 8 and its design to run on tablets killed off the TouchPad and forced HP's hand with webOS.

    If you remember back when HP bought Palm and brought webOS into the HP family, the company wasted little time sharing the grandiose plans for the platform. HP was going to put webOS on its entire line of products, PCs, printers, the works. The platform that Palm built was to become a major part of HP's strategy for its consumer products.

    HP employees shared with me off the record at the time that the company vision was to use webOS to power its printers to differentiate them from the competition. That plan was also to put webOS alongside Windows on all of its PCs, notebooks and desktops, to give it an advantage over the offerings from Dell, Lenovo, and other competitors. The inclusion of webOS was a key part of the competitive strategy to give it a leg up on the industry.
    grasshoper likes this.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasoncampbell123 View Post
    As we near the launch date for Windows 8, the reason for HP's strange reversal is clear to me. It seems obvious that Windows 8 and its design to run on tablets killed off the TouchPad and forced HP's hand with webOS.

    If you remember back when HP bought Palm and brought webOS into the HP family, the company wasted little time sharing the grandiose plans for the platform. HP was going to put webOS on its entire line of products, PCs, printers, the works. The platform that Palm built was to become a major part of HP's strategy for its consumer products.

    HP employees shared with me off the record at the time that the company vision was to use webOS to power its printers to differentiate them from the competition. That plan was also to put webOS alongside Windows on all of its PCs, notebooks and desktops, to give it an advantage over the offerings from Dell, Lenovo, and other competitors. The inclusion of webOS was a key part of the competitive strategy to give it a leg up on the industry.
    Then Leo arrived ...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasoncampbell123 View Post
    [FONT="Verdana"]As we near the launch date for Windows 8, the reason for HP's strange reversal is clear to me. It seems obvious that Windows 8 and its design to run on tablets killed off the TouchPad and forced HP's hand with webOS.
    This is historically incorrect... Sam Hurd was let go as CEO, a guy named Leo Apotheker was brought in. Leyo didn't want to run a hardware company, so he setup a scenario where he would have a "reason" to kill HP hardware and attempt to turn it into an enterprise software company. He made an announcement at the quarterly earnings meeting to immediately kill webOS without consulting the board or from what it looks like anyone internally... this is why he was soon fired and a new CEO appointed.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  8.    #8  
    Grrr Meg Whitman today on FoxBusiness:

    "Innovation is everywhere (at HP)."
    "Where we have to get better is taking it to market."

    Move to cloud ==big shift

    "PC business is not dead"--but then she says slow growth to flat business.
    And PC she redefines to mean personal device.
    Her tablet entry is a convertible (take the screen off the keyboard and carry it around as a tablet). The pcs look like imacs. Oh well, if you don't want to switch from windows
    i guess this is decent. But personally I couldn't stand the win tiles and I wonder if corporate America will make MSFT turn them off.

    Of course the commercial on the fox video was for mozy pro cloud services which is an EMC company

    Someone wake me up when this is over.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  9. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What does it actually matter? Nobody wants to throw any real money behind WebOS so the "why" is largely irrelevant.




    you aren't this gullible, it will burn threw some money be deemed unsuccessful and closed down.

    It's 2012 - "provide some more time for another OEM to pick it up" - come on, there is some serious chemical help to achieve that high, you really think an OEM is going to pick up WebOS at this stage? and throw billions down on developing an ecosystem to make it competitive with Android, iOS or even WP?

    if you really think that then I'd love to sell you a bridge.
    Hello there CGK,
    While I cannot buy a bridge, I am interested in a Galaxy Note II running openwebOS. Looks like I might be able to buy one in near future.
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Hello there CGK,
    While I cannot buy a bridge, I am interested in a Galaxy Note II running openwebOS. Looks like I might be able to buy one in near future.
    Samsung are going to ship, sell and support a galaxy note running WebOS? Where did they announce this?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Hello there CGK,
    While I cannot buy a bridge, I am interested in a Galaxy Note II running openwebOS. Looks like I might be able to buy one in near future.
    I don't understand this
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Samsung are going to ship, sell and support a galaxy note running WebOS? Where did they announce this?
    I think we can safely assume that it not what the poster meant...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  13. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I think we can safely assume that it not what the poster meant...
    So how is it actually a response to my point about OEMs and commercially available products rather than hobbyist attempts to hack webos onto other devices?

    Is the answer "it's not"?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    So how is it actually a response to my point about OEMs and commercially available products rather than hobbyist attempts to hack webos onto other devices?

    Is the answer "it's not"?
    Does a post just have to be a specific answer you a comment of yours? Can a member make a comment just for the sake of it? This is isn't a debate center - it's a forum for members to express themselves without getting trolled for making a post that may differ from someone else's view.
    C-Note likes this.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Samsung are going to ship, sell and support a galaxy note running WebOS? Where did they announce this?
    I think what was meant was there would be a port to said phone, rather than shipping with webOS out of box.
  16. Peppy431's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    #16  
    Would HP have canceled WebOS if the Touchpad launch had been a smashing success?
  17. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Does a post just have to be a specific answer you a comment of yours?
    Em..since it was a specific answer to me and referenced a point I raised is the answer to that 'yes'?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Samsung are going to ship, sell and support a galaxy note running WebOS? Where did they announce this?
    "No Sarcasm Detector" detected!" Hahahahahahaha #I'mdeadbylol

    #okIstopped!


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Grrr Meg Whitman today on FoxBusiness:

    "Innovation is everywhere (at HP)."
    "Where we have to get better is taking it to market."

    Move to cloud ==big shift

    "PC business is not dead"--but then she says slow growth to flat business.
    And PC she redefines to mean personal device.
    Her tablet entry is a convertible (take the screen off the keyboard and carry it around as a tablet). The pcs look like imacs. Oh well, if you don't want to switch from windows
    i guess this is decent. But personally I couldn't stand the win tiles and I wonder if corporate America will make MSFT turn them off.

    Of course the commercial on the fox video was for mozy pro cloud services which is an EMC company

    Someone wake me up when this is over.
    Just to expand on a couple of your points. HP already had a hybrid device in the marketplace, 10+ years ago. It was the TC1000/TC1100 and it's been the only one of its kind. The Surface tablets will be similar and the public will go for this. As for the tiles, at the risk of sounding like a jerk, have you ever had a WP7 device for more than a day? Having live tiles eliminates the need for intrusive notifications because all your updates are right there in front of you. Metro UI on Windows 8 will be a lot easier to adopt because you won't be looking at a cluttered desktop searching for a tiny icon. You pin the apps you use the most and you're off. Accessing the traditional start screen is one mouse click away and you're on a normal Windows 7-style desktop. As for the OP's query, I don't think W8 killed webOS or the TouchPad. Chairman Leo did that on his own. It would have taken a lot of resources (read: money) to bring webOS up to par with the hardware devices of its competitors. Scuttling webOS and letting the community do the proper job to Open webOS with the new kernel was the right business move, kudos to Whitman. It will be more cost-effective to adapt Open webOS to newer hardware that is already in production for W8 than it would be to produce new tooling and revamp production lines to accommodate webOS. It's all about the Benjamins.
    If you disagree with me, please keep it civil.
    Should I disagree with you, you shall hear Ezekiel 25:17

Posting Permissions