Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Beware ,
    i just spoke to the technical department to ask where my touchpad is as its been in to repair the cracks near the speaker and the usb port only to be told that they will not repair it as i have dual operating system on my touchpad so it voids the warranty.
    What a load of bull , the cracks have nothing to do with the software , is there anyone i can contact about this.
    If i cant get anything done im going to sell my touchpad and pre 3 and never buy anything HP again.
    I am well ****ed off.
    why not just doctor it to webOS for repair, then put android back on?
  3.    #3  
    Touchpad is already at HP
    Ask HP to return it unrepaired as is.. it remains YOUR property.. and then go with 'Plan B'.
    So a visit to the Doctor before revisiting the 'Hospital'!

5.    #5  
    Well I would do but Hp have stalled this so long that my touchpad is a couple of days out of warranty now , a cynical person might say that Hp did this on purpose.
    Still don't know when I'm going to get my touchpad back it has been 15 days and counting....
    Touchpad and 16gb Pre 3 will be going on ebay in the next week or so , I'm going back to Android , which totally sucks by the way compared to webOS but I've had enough of HP.
    how does selling your used merchandise and going back to a user experience that you don't enjoy teach HP a lesson? HP sucks and they are terrible at supporting there own product but your touchpad is out of warranty. I would recommend continuing to enjoy your webos experience until you no longer enjoy it and want to try something that seems more enjoyable rather then going to a known experience that you don't enjoy out of spite that only has a negative effect on you. But I would agree that purchasing any new HP products should be last on the list.
    Yep. I tend to agree.. the TP on webOS is improving all the time and it rocks on CM9/10 too!

I thought about trying the warranty/cracks gig before it expired too, but decided it was probably more trouble to follow that route than to just coaxe.some 2-part Epoxy Resin Glue into the inevitable cracks on mine,.. polished it up and it's fine!

And I didn't have the pain of going anywhere NEAR HP's inexplicable logic!

Sorry, but you knowingly voided your warranty. I wouldn't put this one on HP.... It does suck, but there are certain things that have always been stated to not be warrantied by HP, dual boot and custom kernels.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  9.    #9  
    Yeah I may have been a touch hasty , just Really peed off at the time, will keep the touchpad and pre3 coz I love webos .....but stuff you HP.
    Got an email from open mobile , its looking like ACL will make it out the door for Touchpad not just openwebos.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post
    Yeah I may have been a touch hasty , just Really peed off at the time, will keep the touchpad and pre3 coz I love webos .....but stuff you HP.
    Got an email from open mobile , its looking like ACL will make it out the door for Touchpad not just openwebos.
    LOL glad to see you are staying around....

Also happy to hear an update on open mobile, not many apps I want, but there is a couple I wouldn't mind playing with.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Apparently Apple won't even touch your iDevice if its jailbroken, so its not just HP. Despite all signs of lack of competence. It's those darn rigid regulations and stuff!

As the advocate of handhelds, please let there be a phone version.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Sorry, but you knowingly voided your warranty. I wouldn't put this one on HP.... It does suck, but there are certain things that have always been stated to not be warrantied by HP, dual boot and custom kernels.
    You are certainly correct but let's be honest here, changing the OS had zero effect on the physical characteristics of the tablet. If he was asking them to fix a boot loop or fried processor then who could argue but a physical defect that caused a case to crack should be fixed IMO. In reality most everyone here has at least tried a new kernel and of course would remove it before sending in for warranty work of any sort but we would expect a company would do the right thing and fix a case crack.

Again Oldskool you are correct they can deny the repair but if you owned the company would you treat him this way? I certainly wouldn't.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    If you want take a ride with logic it could go that somehow using a custom kernel and overclocking causes extra head, and heat causes plastic to age faster. And crack, potentially. So software effects == hardware defects. Actually, I do find the speaker side of my TP to get quite warm if I watch YouTube videos all day.
    This is true
    Hi, i don't know how it is in your country, but in Germany it is a little tricky to repair a device which has different software on it, like the dual-boot on your Touchpad. That is because the corporation accepts your software changes, if they repair your device, so that they are responsible for future failures which occur because of your changes. So from this point of view, it is quite logical to refuse to repair your touchpad.

If i were you, i would call my Touchpad back and even if it is out of warranty, i would try to send it in again on HPs cost. I don't know the english word, in Germany it's called "Kulanz". It means even when the customer has no legal right to expect the service, the corporation fullfills it to satisfy the needs of the customer. It's worth a try.

Greetings
  16. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    IF the issue had been with the OS or the internal components, then I would agree with you. However, his problem was with the shell, which is unaffected by software. HP is using it as an excuse to avoid warranty cost in this case.
    HP is famous for this. I have an HP DM1Z laptop. When it was 6 months old the backlight went out on the screen. Computer worked fine, just backlight was out. Hold a flashlight up to the screen and I could see it was working fine. Sent it in for warranty repair. They refused to repair it because they said the motherboard had been damaged by water! I was ****ed! I got it back from them unrepaired, ordered a new screen from an ebay vendor, changed it and it still works to this day! HP sucks like that and I bought a touchpad and pre3 knowing I'd be on my own. Oh well, I like webOS, what can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    HP is famous for this. I have an HP DM1Z laptop. When it was 6 months old the backlight went out on the screen. Computer worked fine, just backlight was out. Hold a flashlight up to the screen and I could see it was working fine. Sent it in for warranty repair. They refused to repair it because they said the motherboard had been damaged by water! I was ****ed! I got it back from them unrepaired, ordered a new screen from an ebay vendor, changed it and it still works to this day! HP sucks like that and I bought a touchpad and pre3 knowing I'd be on my own. Oh well, I like webOS, what can I say?

Know the drill all too well. I have even made a check list of how to do things with this goofy crew at HP repair:

1) The first roadblock they put up is having a tech that can hardly speak English talk with you. Don't let it bother you. Just be insistent that you need to speak with someone else (to save your own sanity).

2) Make sure you have your proof of purchase handy because the first fallback position is that they cannot find any record of your device.

3) Then they want you to fax a copy of the receipt to their fax number. They are betting that most people don't have a fax machine and this will slow them down even more. Outfox them and use PamFax (webOS bases) and make sure that the tech you are talking with gets the fax while you are on the phone with him.

4) If it is a problem that they need a picture of, they will give you an e-mail address to send it to so it can be studied by them. Again, make sure the tech verifies that he receives the imaged while you are on the phone with him.

5) Do not fall for the "call back in 48 hours for your RA number" ploy. That just gives them another excuse to tell you that your paperwork cannot be located and you will be on that treadmill. Instead, call back in 24 hours and when they tell you that you have to wait another day, be insistent that you receive the RA number now. Also, while you are on the phone with your tech this time send him an e-mail that includes .pdf files of your receipt (that you faxed the day before) and the photos if they needed them. They will act shocked that you had the nerve to send them that e-mail, but re-enforce that you are the customer and they are the manufacturer.

6) This should bring about the desired result and you should receive your return kit in a day or two. Then it is up to UPS to get the goods to El Paso without any problems on their end. Just make sure you track the package and see when it was signed for.

7) Also, remember to mark in some minor way, the item you are sending in for repair. That way, when you receive the form letter back from them that states "We have either repaired or replaced" whatever you sent in you will sometimes be able to tell which occurred.

Hope some of this helps. Have only had to send two items in, but I am a quick study. HP is really no different from a lot of other manufacturers - they do not want to deal with problems. Always remember - warranties are written by the manufacturer's attorney to protect them - not the consumer.
    xandros9 likes this.
    Sigh, go look up the HP Pavilion dv2000's woes.

I went out and got myself a thinkpad, much better than most HP's I dealt with.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Dang... and here I was hoping a couple more devices would make it into the marketplace ;-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast