Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. gztanwei's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
       #1  
    HI After all these years, I finally caved and installed CM9 into my dear touchpad...

    Unsatisfaction of CM9 compared with WebOS set aside, I found that CM9 can be charged when plugged into USB connecting to PC. So I'm sure on the hardware level, TouchPad Can be charged via USB.

    Now I wonder if there is a patch that can enable charging via USB on WebOS? I guess this is discussed before, but I couldn't find the posts.

    Hope guys can help me out. Thanks!
  2. #2  
    it does charge on usb, just far less than via power outlet or touchstone afaikafaikafaik.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  3. #3  
    Just plug it in!

    There are 4 ways to charge a TP.

    1). Official 2A HP Wall Charger Unit.
    2). Official Touchstone device (powered by the above).
    3). A standard (low Ampage) USB outlet (or charger).
    4). A modified standard USB outlet or charger or cable (capable of 2A and configured to suit the unique HPTP charge-sensing system).

    @ (3). will trickle charge at a lower Amperage in both CM9/webOS.. and therefore take longer.

    Here is the Car Charger thread:

    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-touchpad.html

    No webOS patches available (or required!) to my knowledge.

  4. gztanwei's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Just plug it in!

    There are 4 ways to charge a TP.

    1). Official 2A HP Wall Charger Unit.
    2). Official Touchstone device (powered by the above).
    3). A standard (low Ampage) USB outlet (or charger).
    4). A modified standard USB outlet or charger or cable (capable of 2A and configured to suit the unique HPTP charge-sensing system).

    @ (3). will trickle charge at a lower Amperage in both CM9/webOS.. and therefore take longer.

    Here is the Car Charger thread:

    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-touchpad.html

    No webOS patches available (or required!) to my knowledge.

    Thank you very much! So WebOS just prompts "To charge your device, use the power supply that came with it.", and also does not show charging battery icon, but actually it is charging slowly?

    But in my experience, when I plug into PC USB, and opens wifi on background, and does not even turn on the screen, and some hours later the battery level goes down instead of going up...
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gztanwei View Post
    Thank you very much! So WebOS just prompts "To charge your device, use the power supply that came with it.", and also does not show charging battery icon, but actually it is charging slowly?

    But in my experience, when I plug into PC USB, and opens wifi on background, and does not even turn on the screen, and some hours later the battery level goes down instead of going up...
    Yes.. the charge will trickle into the TP via powered PC USB port.

    In my experience, done this way with both wifi and screen off overnight, there is usually a fully charged TP batt in the morning anyway!

    I suppose if you had many other units also running off, or plugged into, your PC USB port.. then there may NOT be enough ampage to charge the TP with its wifi left on?

    Also a powered USB Hub (like x 4 port accessory) would probably deliver more power than some PC ports direct.

  6. #6  
    There is a patch in Preware that adds "Just Charge" when connecting USB to a PC. It doesn't actually add any functionality as the TouchPad will still charge without the patch, but it is nice to have the options "Just Charge" or "USB Mode".
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by yorxs View Post
    There is a patch in Preware that adds "Just Charge" when connecting USB to a PC. It doesn't actually add any functionality as the TouchPad will still charge without the patch, but it is nice to have the options "Just Charge" or "USB Mode".
    Yes.. that patch doesn't 'add' anything, it simply only changes the *name* on the existing dropdown label to what the old Phones used to have.

  8. #8  
    I tested this subject pretty extensively awhile back: charge your touchpad without the ac adapter (see my second post for actual test data)

Posting Permissions