Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so I think my Touchpad is in the dreaded dead battery induced coma. Here's how it started and where I am at the moment:

Stock Touchpad. I have preware installed, with a couple of patches, but I'm not overclocking or running alternate kernals. Its been problem free until just now.

I was out of town for business last Thurs and Fri and since I was traveling with my laptop, I decide to leave the Touchpad at home incase my wife wanted to use it. I left it on the coffee table with a full charge, where it sat for 4 days.

Monday morning came around, and it still seemed fine. I heard the vibrate notification now and then, and when I picked it up off the table to go to work, I flipped open the case cover, turned it on, and swiped away the huge stack of email notifications that had built up. The battery level read about half. I turned it off, stuck it in my bag and went to work.

Got to work and worked for a while before remembering to take my Touchpad out of the bag and put it on the Touchstone. I have LCARS Clock running in Exhibition mode, and once on the Touchstone, LCARS clock came up, charging and everything seemed great.

About lunchtime I looked over at the Touchpad and noticed that the time read 09:56. Wha? The scrolling text/numbers in the upper right were still flashing and doing their thing, so it wasn't readily apparent that anything was stuck. I picked the Touchpad off the Touchstone and nothing happened. LCARS remained, the Touchpad was entirely unresponsive to anything.

Did a quick Google search for the force restart key combination and hit the power button and center button for 15 seconds to get the Touchpad to shut off. Now I can't get it turn back on.

I've searched the forums and have tried almost all the possibilities offered (except taking it apart, since I don't have a proper way to charge Li-po batteries). Dead. No response. I've checked the plug, I've used different cables, I've tried 2 different touchstones with the naked (out of its HP case) Touchpad, nothing.

Its been sitting on my home Touchstone since yesterday. No response last night, or this morning. I've been trying the Power Button/Center, hold for 30 secs, Power button/Center button click repeatedly, Power/Center/Vol up hold, everything. Nothing. Not even the low or missing battery icons.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

(10 points to anyone who guesses the song spoof in the subject line...)
    Casio Databank watch, Casio BOSS, Sharp Wizard OZ-8600 256k, HP Palmtop 360LX, Palm IIIc, Motorola StarTac, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre, Palm Pre2, HP Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post

The Smiths - Girlfriend in a coma! I just have to say, 80's music was the best IMHO

Re your TP, sorry I can't help there...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    The Smiths - Girlfriend in a coma! I just have to say, 80's music was the best IMHO

Re your TP, sorry I can't help there...
    Bingo. 10 points! Bummer on the help though. Thanks anyway!

Touchpad is still unresponsive. Still trying all the various vulcan death grips on it and its not responding.
    Casio Databank watch, Casio BOSS, Sharp Wizard OZ-8600 256k, HP Palmtop 360LX, Palm IIIc, Motorola StarTac, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre, Palm Pre2, HP Touchpad
    There were times when I could have strangled her but when my TP was in a coma I realized I would hate anything to happen to her.

As you probably read I performed surgery on mine but several people reported that they were able to revive theirs by plugging it into a usb port or in some cases wall outlet over and over and over again until eventually the battery indicator showed up.

Don't whisper your last goodbyes just yet.

P.S. Big Smiths fan here.
    Yes....what some people have said is to first try and "trickle charge" it like you would do with a dead car battery. You can do this if you have a Pre/2/3 1 amp charger or other 1 amp wall charger. The Touchpad charger is a 2 amp charger, but if you first trickle charge it overnight with the 1 amp charger, it can get enough charge into the battery that the normal charging circuit should kick back in when you then try and finish charging it using the regular Touchpad charger or the Touchstone. (I have not had to try this yet, but several people have had success with this approach.)
    Have you tried plugging in the TP directly? I can't really tell from your post. Also, try plugging it into your computer and see if it can trickle charge.
  7.    #7  
    I have tried the plugging it in repeatedly for an hour or so (that was fun). I've also tried plugging it in with a Pre charger for a few hours. I'll try charging it overnight on a Pre charger and see if that helps.

Plugging it in to my computer doesn't prompt anything. I'm on a Mac, the computer appears oblivious to the TP, but I'm not sure if this is because the TP is actually dead, or the Mac is shrugging it off in an attitude of superiority.

Stay tuned...
    Mine came back to life after I did the restart involving the center button (ashamed to admit I didn't realize the touchpad had one, thought it was like the Pre2/3...).

And I also like the Girlfriend in a Coma reference, even if I have purged all other memories of my goth girlfriend...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    I had a similar probelem, I got mine restarted by doing the reset key hold for an inordinate amount of time (no response), then plugging it in and then holding down the power but for ~15secs
    Very probably not entirely deceased!
    I reckon that another factor is a 'reset' that must occur when the Batt over time is allowed/encouraged to be completely discharged to a totally flat state.
    Then when put back on charge for a day or two, the TP has 'forgotten' that it forgot who or what it was (ie. in a coma!), and will boot normally again.. I've seen this once on the GFs machine.. took patience!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 08/24/2012 at 06:30 AM.
    Talking about identity loss, my mom's HP laptop got its NVRAM erased somehow, and has been complaining about serial number not found and no wired MAC address.

Is the TP doing the two LED flash on the center button or is it really just sitting there?
  12.    #12  
    I never had the two LED flash on the center button. The day this all started, it worked that morning after it had been on the coffee table by itself just getting notifications for 4 days. It reported a half a battery charge that morning (which I now believe was completely wrong though), and functioned normally. I think it crashed when I put it on the Touchstone that morning because the battery was too low to charge and I hadn't acknowledged any of the low battery warnings (if there were any).

Last night I charged it overnight with my Genuine Sprint Accessory Charger (that I got when I asked for another Touchstone compatible charger when I bought my Pre). Its only 850 mA (but it actually does work with the touchstone!). I even felt the charger in the morning to feel if it was warm at all. It was stone cold, so I'm doubtful any charging took place.

No response in the morning after being plugged into that.

I left it all day today unplugged. No response when I got home. At this point I'm at a loss.

The TP has been dead for a week now. I've charged it on multiple stock TP chargers, all of which will charge my FrankenPre2, the stock Pre charger, my Sprint Pre charger, 2 TP Touchstones, and I've left it unplugged for a day. After every experiment, I've held the power button for a minute, power/center button for a minute, power/vol up for a minute, Power/center button click repeat for multiple times, nothing.

I'm going to keep trying any suggestion, but I'm loosing hope. If I can't get it revived, I'm probably going to put up what I've got for sale to anyone whose interested. I've got 2 HP cases (one I bought a few months back during that $5 case sale and its still unused), 2 TP Touchstones, a TP keyboard and the TP itself.

Again, still open to any suggestion for reviving this thing!
    Same thing happened to me/mine..............then I went down the same route as you google various suggested fixes various different charging devices all ultimately in vain.

Mine was only about 60 days old and I contacted HP UK, they arranged a courier collection and after a week sent me a refurb which has worked great ever since.

This is obviously an issue HP are aware of, one of many issues. It makes me wonder whether HP knew about all these issues and thats why they bailed out. !!!!

Good luck, but after a week I cant imagine it'll spring to life all of a sudden......and even if it does how could you ever trust it again ?

Mike
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegally View Post
    Good luck, but after a week I cant imagine it'll spring to life all of a sudden......and even if it does how could you ever trust it again ?
    Exactly. I'd probably be so nervous about discharging the battery that I'd basically leave it plugged in or on a touchstone all the time. And then I'd start worrying about whether or not it was actually staying charged while just sitting there with a "full" charge.

Charged on a normal TP charger all night. Nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
    Ok, so I think my Touchpad is in the dreaded dead battery induced coma. Here's how it started and where I am at the moment:

Stock Touchpad. I have preware installed, with a couple of patches, but I'm not overclocking or running alternate kernals. Its been problem free until just now.

I was out of town for business last Thurs and Fri and since I was traveling with my laptop, I decide to leave the Touchpad at home incase my wife wanted to use it. I left it on the coffee table with a full charge, where it sat for 4 days.

Monday morning came around, and it still seemed fine. I heard the vibrate notification now and then, and when I picked it up off the table to go to work, I flipped open the case cover, turned it on, and swiped away the huge stack of email notifications that had built up. The battery level read about half. I turned it off, stuck it in my bag and went to work.

Got to work and worked for a while before remembering to take my Touchpad out of the bag and put it on the Touchstone. I have LCARS Clock running in Exhibition mode, and once on the Touchstone, LCARS clock came up, charging and everything seemed great.

About lunchtime I looked over at the Touchpad and noticed that the time read 09:56. Wha? The scrolling text/numbers in the upper right were still flashing and doing their thing, so it wasn't readily apparent that anything was stuck. I picked the Touchpad off the Touchstone and nothing happened. LCARS remained, the Touchpad was entirely unresponsive to anything.

Did a quick Google search for the force restart key combination and hit the power button and center button for 15 seconds to get the Touchpad to shut off. Now I can't get it turn back on.

I've searched the forums and have tried almost all the possibilities offered (except taking it apart, since I don't have a proper way to charge Li-po batteries). Dead. No response. I've checked the plug, I've used different cables, I've tried 2 different touchstones with the naked (out of its HP case) Touchpad, nothing.

Its been sitting on my home Touchstone since yesterday. No response last night, or this morning. I've been trying the Power Button/Center, hold for 30 secs, Power button/Center button click repeatedly, Power/Center/Vol up hold, everything. Nothing. Not even the low or missing battery icons.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

MAN!!!
    This is one of THE most scary threads I have EVER read!!!
    My TP is only 3 weeks old, and tonight this ugly thing just happend to me as well.
    Well not as bad as StaceyS' story, but my TP had 65% left on the battery when I turned it off for the night just to charge.
    I remembered that I had to check something, so I turned it on...or at least tried to turn it on. Nothing happend and I tried every combination I could think of. It was completly dead!!!
    My heart turned to ice and my eyes couldn't hold focus. (Did somebody say dramaqueen???)
    After three weeks the tablet of my dreams had broke and I already knew what kind of comments I would get in the morning from my wife.
    Then I read this thread and all hope vanished.....untill the comment about the power/center button thing. I have an android phone and an android tablet as well, so I didn't think of this little Apple flavour thing on the TP with a center button - sorry about that comment. Don't worry. My heart belongs to WebOS and Android (and Ubuntu).
    It worked when I pushed the power and center button for half a minute.
    I'm really sorry to hear about your problems StaceyS, I hope that you will get the breath of life back into your TP. As I can read it sound like you are a big (and otherwise happy) user of WebOS gadgets.

Martin :-)
  16.    #16  
    Yes, Martin. I'm a devoted WebOS user. I really like my FrankenPre2 and until a week ago, my Touchpad too. I've really liked having a small, contoured black rock for a cell phone. Not looking forward to one of the massive black slabs that seem to be the only alternative now.

My biggest disappointment with WebOS is being stuck in the past. While all other mobile OS's are improving and changing, WebOS stays relatively stuck. The hardware is getting better and better out there, and there are great new apps and I feel left out!

At work, we're Mac based, and I'm getting annoyed with people being able to use iCloud so easily with iOS devices, and the apps available for iPhone and iPad for our business (architecture) are really nice. The software company that makes our design software (ArchiCAD) also makes a 3D building explorer app for iPads which works really well. I thought about trying to port something like that over to WebOS, but haven't had time to really dig into it.

I have a feeling my wife and I may migrate to the iPhone 5 when (if?) it comes out in the fall, but I gotta compare with Android first...
    How's the warranty status on it? Mine's got 2 days left in it's warranty. . . . sigh. Hopefully that doesn't mean anything to it.

My guess is that the battery is going to need to get drained, but without any way to put a major load on it, or to tell it's status, that's sort of stabbing in the dark.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  18.    #18  
    Out of warranty. I got my Touchpad in July of 2011, just 1 week before the fire sale. Bought it from Staples at $500. Fortunately, I was able to "return" it the next week and "buy" a new one for the fire sale price (they basically did the transaction as is, I left with the same Touchpad I originally bought).

I don't have any way of charging the Li-po battery outside the Touchpad, and I don't feel I'm going to need that sort of sophisticated charger for anything else. If I had a charger, I'd take apart the Touchpad and try that. But I don't, and I'd rather put the money towards a new tablet than a battery charger.
    Did you try connecting it via USB and see if WOSQI recognizes it (or the dr?)
    whats this center button that everyone is talking about?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast