Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by arubalou View Post
    whats this center button that everyone is talking about?
    It's the button with round sides above the USB port. That's the official name for it.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Did you try connecting it via USB and see if WOSQI recognizes it (or the dr?)
    Yep. No one home, but I'm not certain thats a definitive. As I mentioned, we're Mac based, so the connection is handled a bit differently, internally. Regardless, WOSQI says there's no device connected.

It just spent 2 whole days on a functioning Touchstone plugged into a functioning TP Charger in a functioning wall outlet. Nothing.

I think its dead.
    Casio Databank watch, Casio BOSS, Sharp Wizard OZ-8600 256k, HP Palmtop 360LX, Palm IIIc, Motorola StarTac, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre, Palm Pre2, HP Touchpad
    OK.. the story I relayed earlier re. my GFs TP had at least THREE weeks OFF any charger in order for the battery to become TOTALLY flat - in order for the TP to in its turn forget that it had forgotten who/what it was!

It then charged up and booted as per normal.

There have also been stories here of dodgy/failed Battery/software etc requiring a replacement batt:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-orig...item41623f9fbd

$30.

This may be apropos of nothing regarding your situation, but here's a story:

I have a Citizen Eco-drive (light-powered) watch. One day, after a few years of ownership, I picked it up & it had stopped. Leaving it under a light source for several hours failed to have any effect & I figured the capacitor (or whatever) that stored the power had died...some online searches indicated that this could happen after a few years. Having nothing to lose, I set it close to a flourescent desk light and left the light on constantly. After a day, there was no change. Two more days, nothing. Finally, after about a week or so, I pushed in the stem one day and it was running again. It has continued now for several years after the incident (although I now leave it where it gets at least some light on days when I'm not wearing it, not in a closet or drawer).

The point is, electronics are sometimes fickle beasts. A number of people have indicated the extended charge on a lower powered source has worked; why not leave it for a week or so, untouched, on a 500 or 1000 source & see what happens? Maybe even leave it alone for a few weeks (to totally discharge, as some have suggested) & then try it for a week-10days on the slow charger? Who knows...
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    OK.. the story I relayed earlier re. my GFs TP had at least THREE weeks OFF any charger in order for the battery to become TOTALLY flat - in order for the TP to in its turn forget that it had forgotten who/what it was!

It then charged up and booted as per normal.

There have also been stories here of dodgy/failed Battery/software etc requiring a replacement batt:

Genuine original li-polymer battery 6000 mah for hp touchpad 9.7in wi-fi tablet | eBay

$30.

Not much to lose at this point. Worth a shot. And if its still as dead as before, I can try a new battery... (or a new tablet)

Thanks!
    Casio Databank watch, Casio BOSS, Sharp Wizard OZ-8600 256k, HP Palmtop 360LX, Palm IIIc, Motorola StarTac, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre, Palm Pre2, HP Touchpad
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    A friend who got their TP at the same time as mine had theirs go into a coma like yours. Nothing would revive it. But he left it 2 weeks before getting around to contacting HP about a repair, and bingo... when he tried one last time to charge it, it worked.

I think something gets frozen in the firmware, and only letting the battery run down completely will fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    A friend who got their TP at the same time as mine had theirs go into a coma like yours. Nothing would revive it. But he left it 2 weeks before getting around to contacting HP about a repair, and bingo... when he tried one last time to charge it, it worked.

I think something gets frozen in the firmware, and only letting the battery run down completely will fix it.
    Yes.. thats the only logical conclusion really!
    There may well be a batt software glitch that results from requiring enough power in ITSELF to tell it that it is flat! Once the power level goes below that (by leaving it on inadvertently etc) it then gets 'stuck' between not having enough power to fire up the screen or cause a full reset, and yet still having enough power to hold onto the memory that it is 'buggered'!

Thus COMPLETELY flattening the entire system is the only way to gain an intelligent reset?

This may also actually be why when people who experience this 'put it on charge' for two weeks.. and then it 'recovers'.. because it is not actually 'awake' enough to charge itself in that time, which is instead spent allowing a complete DIScharge?

Bingo?

8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Yes.. thats the only logical conclusion really!
    There may well be a batt software glitch that results from requiring enough power in ITSELF to tell it that it is flat! Once the power level goes below that (by leaving it on inadvertently etc) it then gets 'stuck' between not having enough power to fire up the screen or cause a full reset, and yet still having enough power to hold onto the memory that it is 'buggered'!

Thus COMPLETELY flattening the entire system is the only way to gain an intelligent reset?

This may also actually be why when people who experience this 'put it on charge' for two weeks.. and then it 'recovers'.. because it is not actually 'awake' enough to charge itself in that time, which is instead spent allowing a complete DIScharge?

Bingo?

Sounds good enough for me to try! Touchpad is going to officially be an unplugged paperweight for 2 weeks min. Timing's actually not too bad as I'm headed out for the holiday here shortly.
  9.    #29  
    No luck. No response, no change. I've left it for a few weeks then plugged it in using a charger that works, a cord that works. No response to any key combination.

I've left it in for hours with no change.

I think the only thing that could possibly revive it is a new battery. At this point, I'm debating the wisdom of that. Yes, I can buy a new battery and probably replace it myself. But all I'm getting by doing that is a rather outdated piece of hardware (with a cracked screen) running a fantastic, but obscure operating system.

My own FrankenPre 2 is running ok, but showing signs of age related stresses, and my original Sprint Pre is also barely limping along (which my wife is using). It may be getting time for us to finally leave the webOS world after 3+ years and Palm after 12 years.

I don't know which direction I'm going to go in yet. My architecture firm is Mac based, so there is some attraction to going iOS, but the free-spirited geek in me doesn't like the closed environment (but there's always jailbreaking). Android has some nice features that appeal to me, but I'm concerned about handset build quality, long term durability and support. My next phone has to fit in my jeans pocket, and the new iPhone 5 appears to be at that upper limit. The Samsung Galaxy S3 is beautiful, but I think its too big for my pocket.

I know I'm not buying another HP product anytime soon. At least not until I see some serious changes in their corporate management and product development. I've had issues with HP in the past (ink cartridges with bogus expiration dates, poor durability and reliability with their large format plotters, proprietary server parts that cost 4 times the equivalent industry standard parts, etc) and this webOS debacle has been for me the final and personal straw.
    Have you tried leaving overnight charging with the iPhone 4 charger (using the HP cable) and then switch to the HP charger and perform the reset (Power + Home + 30secs)?
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Also try plugging and unplugging the charger a bunch of times in a row.
  12.    #32  
    Update: Nothing new. Still dead.

Here's what I've tried:
    1) Leaving it for weeks unplugged, then plugging it in and trying to turn it on using all of the suggested methods (holding the power button for a minute, holding the power/center for a minute, holding the power/vol up for a minute, holding the power while clicking the center repeatedly). Nothing.
    2) Leaving it plugged in for a few days to a known working HP Touchpad charger directly plugged into the Touchpad with a known working cable, then trying all the button combos above. Nothing
    3) Trying lower amp chargers (including my original Pre charger and a Sprint Pre charger) for a day or so, then plugging into the HP Touchpad charger and trying the button combos. Nothing.

Its dead. I'm pretty sure its a severely depleted battery.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Try plugging and unplugging a lower-amp charger 15-20 times in a row, leaving it for about 10 seconds each time.
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
    Update: Nothing new. Still dead.

Here's what I've tried:
    1) Leaving it for weeks unplugged, then plugging it in and trying to turn it on using all of the suggested methods (holding the power button for a minute, holding the power/center for a minute, holding the power/vol up for a minute, holding the power while clicking the center repeatedly). Nothing.
    2) Leaving it plugged in for a few days to a known working HP Touchpad charger directly plugged into the Touchpad with a known working cable, then trying all the button combos above. Nothing
    3) Trying lower amp chargers (including my original Pre charger and a Sprint Pre charger) for a day or so, then plugging into the HP Touchpad charger and trying the button combos. Nothing.

Its dead. I'm pretty sure its a severely depleted battery.
    I wouldn't give up. I tried all of this to no avail also. One day I decided to take it apart to figure out what to do about the battery. It had (again) been hooked to the factory charger. I instinctively hit the power button & it woke up. Been fine ever since.
    Seems like there is no set method, but eventually most wake up from their sleep.
    last night I let my TP drain....I dropped it on the touchstone off center...woke up to a dead battery.....centered her and got a battery symbol right away

an hour later I plugged in the cord while on touchstone....the double jolt might have brought it back to life cause five minutes after taking it off the touchstone cable charged it booted back up??
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Quote Originally Posted by arubalou View Post
    whats this center button that everyone is talking about?
    The same one that lives in the centre of the front screen short-side diametrically opposite the camera and 'above' the USB charging port?
    Otherwise talked about by many others, as being the 'home' button.

17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    Try plugging and unplugging a lower-amp charger 15-20 times in a row, leaving it for about 10 seconds each time.
    Oops. Sorry. Yes, I've tried this too. I've tried it with both the factory charger and lower amp chargers. I tried it once by plugging it in and out in a slow continuous fashion while I watched a sit-com on tv. Nothing.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
    Oops. Sorry. Yes, I've tried this too. I've tried it with both the factory charger and lower amp chargers. I tried it once by plugging it in and out in a slow continuous fashion while I watched a sit-com on tv. Nothing.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
    ive got one in a similar boat - it is a bad battery - reads 2.7 volts only - completely dead TP. Tried leaving it alone for a 1-2 week period - nothing. all different chargers and methods. Only way to fix it would be to replace battery or charging it with a LIPO charger but not sure worth it as I have another working TP for now. I'd like to hear if anyone else has revived one by putting some charge on the battery as described here: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-touchpad.html
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Could it be a bad USB port on the Touchpad? Sometimes my touchpad only starts to charge when I gently push upwards on the base of the cable that is connected to the Touchpad. Maybe try plugging it in and holding it in different positions would let it charge. I know you said you had a Touchstone charger but it could be a combination of the battery memory and a bad USB port.
    Signed up just to add one other option for those of us with comatose TPs.

Try wrapping it in a heating pad on high for 5 minutes. No idea why this works but it has revived a dead battery (although brand new) and one turned off with a full charge.

My original battery died like many others with a few weird nights on the Touchstone. Bought a new battery off eBay, thing powered up immediately but overnight zapped the battery and went un-wake able. No amount of button smashing/holding will bring this thing back but 5 minutes on a heating pad did the trick. Both times this was not plugged into anything when it came on but I did quickly shove in the wall charger when the low batt. graphic came on.

My real goal was to install Android now that I have a new battery but I'm not going to even try since I can't even restart the thing very easily.

Hope it may help anyone else before they trash the thing. I wish I would have tried this before I bought/installed a new battery. It was not a difficult process but I broke all the plastic tabs (why I had the heating pad out anyway) and with the superglue I had to use it will not open so easily again in the future.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast