08/01/2012, 08:12 PM
During the various times I reset my TouchPad, I have not found any way to skip the First Use app. Unlike what HP says there is no Phone app available during First Use, and no full Device Info app to enter the custom app code in. Here's a way you can bypass First Use by adapting the old activation bypass tool.
- Install Novacom if you haven't already (run webOS Doctor, but don't attach your TouchPad)
- Open the webOS Doctor .jar with your archiver.
- Navigate to the "resources" folder, and open "webOS.tar"
- Extract "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage"
- Open devicetool.jar
- Navigate to "com/palm/webos/devicetool/images/"
- Add the extracted "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage" to this folder, and save
- Turn off your TouchPad
- Hold Vol+ and Power on your TouchPad until the big USB logo is displayed
- Plug in your TouchPad to your computer with the USB cable
- Open up a command prompt/terminal
where "path/to/devicetool.jar" is where you downloaded devicetool.jar to
java -jar path/to/devicetool.jar
- Wait until the tool displays "Device is ready.", and then you can disconnect your TouchPad. Your TouchPad can now be used and connected to with Novacom
Sample tool output:
When you're ready to properly set up your TouchPad, delete "/var/luna/preferences/first-use-profile-created" on your TouchPad and reboot.
C:\>java -jar devicetool.jar
Found device: topaz-bootie
Copying ram disk.................
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2
8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
0 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
Device is ready.