webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Activation Bypass for TouchPad
Activation Bypass for TouchPad
  Reply
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By GMMan

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08/01/2012, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
During the various times I reset my TouchPad, I have not found any way to skip the First Use app. Unlike what HP says there is no Phone app available during First Use, and no full Device Info app to enter the custom app code in. Here's a way you can bypass First Use by adapting the old activation bypass tool.

You'll need:
Procedure:
  1. Install Novacom if you haven't already (run webOS Doctor, but don't attach your TouchPad)
  2. Open the webOS Doctor .jar with your archiver.
  3. Navigate to the "resources" folder, and open "webOS.tar"
  4. Extract "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage"
  5. Open devicetool.jar
  6. Navigate to "com/palm/webos/devicetool/images/"
  7. Add the extracted "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage" to this folder, and save
  8. Turn off your TouchPad
  9. Hold Vol+ and Power on your TouchPad until the big USB logo is displayed
  10. Plug in your TouchPad to your computer with the USB cable
  11. Open up a command prompt/terminal
  12. Type
    Code:
    java -jar path/to/devicetool.jar
    where "path/to/devicetool.jar" is where you downloaded devicetool.jar to
  13. Wait until the tool displays "Device is ready.", and then you can disconnect your TouchPad. Your TouchPad can now be used and connected to with Novacom

Sample tool output:
Code:
C:\>java -jar devicetool.jar
Found device: topaz-bootie
Copying ram disk.................
Rebooting device...
Configuring device...
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2
  8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
  0 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
Rebooting device...
Device is ready.
When you're ready to properly set up your TouchPad, delete "/var/luna/preferences/first-use-profile-created" on your TouchPad and reboot.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and GMike01 like this.
Old 01/20/2013, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
During the various times I reset my TouchPad, I have not found any way to skip the First Use app. Unlike what HP says there is no Phone app available during First Use, and no full Device Info app to enter the custom app code in. Here's a way you can bypass First Use by adapting the old activation bypass tool.

You'll need:
Procedure:
  1. Install Novacom if you haven't already (run webOS Doctor, but don't attach your TouchPad)
  2. Open the webOS Doctor .jar with your archiver.
  3. Navigate to the "resources" folder, and open "webOS.tar"
  4. Extract "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage"
  5. Open devicetool.jar
  6. Navigate to "com/palm/webos/devicetool/images/"
  7. Add the extracted "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage" to this folder, and save
  8. Turn off your TouchPad
  9. Hold Vol+ and Power on your TouchPad until the big USB logo is displayed
  10. Plug in your TouchPad to your computer with the USB cable
  11. Open up a command prompt/terminal
  12. Type
    Code:
    java -jar path/to/devicetool.jar
    where "path/to/devicetool.jar" is where you downloaded devicetool.jar to
  13. Wait until the tool displays "Device is ready.", and then you can disconnect your TouchPad. Your TouchPad can now be used and connected to with Novacom

Sample tool output:
Code:
C:\>java -jar devicetool.jar
Found device: topaz-bootie
Copying ram disk.................
Rebooting device...
Configuring device...
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2
  8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
  0 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
Rebooting device...
Device is ready.
When you're ready to properly set up your TouchPad, delete "/var/luna/preferences/first-use-profile-created" on your TouchPad and reboot.
thanks, i get this, its nice that we have people like you
GMike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2013, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
During the various times I reset my TouchPad, I have not found any way to skip the First Use app. Unlike what HP says there is no Phone app available during First Use, and no full Device Info app to enter the custom app code in. Here's a way you can bypass First Use by adapting the old activation bypass tool.

You'll need:
Procedure:
  1. Install Novacom if you haven't already (run webOS Doctor, but don't attach your TouchPad)
  2. Open the webOS Doctor .jar with your archiver.
  3. Navigate to the "resources" folder, and open "webOS.tar"
  4. Extract "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage"
  5. Open devicetool.jar
  6. Navigate to "com/palm/webos/devicetool/images/"
  7. Add the extracted "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage" to this folder, and save
  8. Turn off your TouchPad
  9. Hold Vol+ and Power on your TouchPad until the big USB logo is displayed
  10. Plug in your TouchPad to your computer with the USB cable
  11. Open up a command prompt/terminal
  12. Type
    Code:
    java -jar path/to/devicetool.jar
    where "path/to/devicetool.jar" is where you downloaded devicetool.jar to
  13. Wait until the tool displays "Device is ready.", and then you can disconnect your TouchPad. Your TouchPad can now be used and connected to with Novacom

Sample tool output:
Code:
C:\>java -jar devicetool.jar
Found device: topaz-bootie
Copying ram disk.................
Rebooting device...
Configuring device...
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2
  8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
  0 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
Rebooting device...
Device is ready.
When you're ready to properly set up your TouchPad, delete "/var/luna/preferences/first-use-profile-created" on your TouchPad and reboot.
I tried doing the bypass on a touchpad we forgot the password to unlock it. When I run java -jar devicetool.jar it tells me no device found and tells me to pull the battery. No way I can do that!
I've tried running webos doctor but the touchpad asks for the password, which is why I tried the bypass. When I plug in the touchpad, Windows sees it, thought it asks for sofware. I'm sure I have everything loaded that I need.
Any help would be appreciated.
cosber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2013, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 276
If forgot the password for developer mode. Try this...(HP's guy told me and never try it).
1. type in 123456 and repeat it 3 times
2.novacom -t open tty:// -r 123456 -c login
3.rm/var/novacom/passwd
4. Done and Work.

Hope can work....
lemanho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2013, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
If forgot the password for developer mode. Try this...(HP's guy told me and never try it).
1. type in 123456 and repeat it 3 times
2.novacom -t open tty:// -r 123456 -c login
3.rm/var/novacom/passwd
4. Done and Work.

Hope can work....
Sorry, I don't know enough about the thing to follow your directions. Where do I type the 123456 3 times? It certainly doesn't work on the device itself.
I was able though to find the device. I put the nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage in the images folder of the devicetool.jar but upon running it tells me it can't find the file. I thought I was almost there when it said it found topaz-bootie. Help!
cosber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2013, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
1. You need to have Novacom installed.
2. Boot into USB Recovery mode.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 04/12/2013, 01:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosber View Post
I tried doing the bypass on a touchpad we forgot the password to unlock it. When I run java -jar devicetool.jar it tells me no device found and tells me to pull the battery. No way I can do that!
I've tried running webos doctor but the touchpad asks for the password, which is why I tried the bypass. When I plug in the touchpad, Windows sees it, thought it asks for sofware. I'm sure I have everything loaded that I need.
Any help would be appreciated.
1.Just type: webos20090606-----Developer mode.....type in 6 digi number like 123456 .. ..submit(Of cause it desn't work but doesn't matter). repeat it three times
2. Use Novacom with above command .
3. Or hardset the device (Open the back cover.push the hard set bottom on the mainboard. Or try to disconnect the battery directly......).
lemanho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2013, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
1. You need to have Novacom installed.
2. Boot into USB Recovery mode.
I'll probaby try skyping you later tonight. In the meantime, your instructions say to run webos Doctor to get Novacom. What I don't understand is, the instructions for getting the nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage says to pull it out of the webos Doctor archive. When I downloaded webos Doctor, it doesn't download an archive, just a java script that appears to run the program from an external source. Nothing downloads on my machine that I can see. Did I miss a folder someplace? I downloaded the nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage itself from the web. Also, I did boot into USB recovery mode. Thanks.
cosber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2013, 10:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 4
I don't know what happened. I started everything up to give it another shot and this time webos doctor saw the pad and did it's job. It's back and running. Thanks for your efforts.
cosber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2013, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Huh, you Doctored the device instead of removing the passcode? The actual Doctor file link is available from the WebOS Internals website.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0