Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    Now - I finally used this devicetool to activate a brand new TP (64GB Panda version). Thanks.

I found this TP is still on webos version 3.0.2 as delivered in 2011. Without hp profile will it still catch up the latest OTA upgrade to 3.0.5 version ? Will connecting to Wifi enough to upgrade after some time?
    Or would I need to doctor to 3.0.5 version myself?

And then would I need the devicetool for activation again after doctoring?

EDIT: I'm running the Systemupdate app (with active Wifi) - but it seems to search for OS updates for ever ..
    Not sure, if HP services are not available or it just cannot work w/o HP profile.
    Now - let me answer a few items myself:
    The Systemupdate app did not find anything about the webos upgrade package for 3.0.5 version.
    For my Pre3 2.3.4 (with an active webos profile) it quickly found out that there is no newer webos version.
    Either it is broken for 3.0.5 or it needs some active webos profile to work.

So - I doctored the TP to 3.0.5 version today. After this the profile (activation) was gone again and I was requested to select or create some webos profile.
    So - instead I again applied the devicetool to activate the device - and it all worked fine.

Also now the Systemupdate app does not find anything about a potential webos upgrade.
    I broke out a never-used TP 4G which was running 3.0.1 last week. After I activated it and logged into the HP servers, there was a notice after 20 or 30 minutes that an update to 3.0.5 was available, and the TP downloaded it. I had bypassed activation before in order to install some patches and apps before activating, and it was running at least an hour while I installed everything, with no update notice. So maybe you do need to be logged in to get the update.
    Does anybody have a clue how to perform activation bypass by using devicetool and select other language than English?
    Depending of the customization TouchPad can have English/Spanish (for USA market) or English/Chinese (China) or English/German/French ... languages and using devicetool to bypasss activation will force device in to English by default.

I would like to avoid that and select any other language.
    This can also be usefull for all users using other languages than English when erasing device after 15.01.2015 and skipping first use.
    Remy X and MartinH@webos like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumy View Post
    Does anybody have a clue how to perform activation bypass by using devicetool and select other language than English?
    Depending of the customization TouchPad can have English/Spanish (for USA market) or English/Chinese (China) or English/German/French ... languages and using devicetool to bypasss activation will force device in to English by default.

I would like to avoid that and select any other language.
    This can also be usefull for all users using other languages than English when erasing device after 15.01.2015 and skipping first use.
    Samy - I used your devicetool (a bit thank you for providing it).
    And as far as I can remember it did not change the language selection - which for me is German.
    In the very beginning (first boot) I selected German as language - and I think I did not change it later.
    I did not select/create any webos profile - but instead later used the devicetool.
    Also when doctoring to 3.0.5 I did not change the language.

Anyhow - there is this "Country setup" (Ländereinstell.) app where you can adjust the language setting as you want. Is this selection different from what you want?
    And as far as I can remember it did not change the language selection - which for me is German.
    In the very beginning (first boot) I selected German as language - and I think I did not change it later.
    I did not select/create any webos profile - but instead later used the devicetool.

Anyhow - there is this "Country setup" (Ländereinstell.) app where you can adjust the language setting as you want. Is this selection different from what you want?
    It's called "Regional Settings" in English-language mode, found with all the other control panels on the last pane of the Launcher

I was trying to run activation bypass and select language in one step using devicetool and selecting language when running devicetool somehow.
    Anyone unable to get their Touchpad working with above instructions, someone sent me an updated version of devicetool.jar (devicetool2.jar). After I loaded novacom this worked and the touchpad is working again. I've zipped up all the files and instructions if anyone needs them. Package includes novaconinstaller x86 & x64, devicetool2.jar and a txt readme file with how I fixed my touchpad.

http://cjqb.co.uk/downloads/tp_activate.zip

** I somehow lost the download folder from the server & thus the zip file was missing. I have now restored it and uploaded the files again.
    Last edited by Ceejayqb; 09/05/2016 at 12:03 AM. Reason: updating
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceejayqb View Post
    Anyone unable to get their Touchpad working with above instructions, someone sent me an updated version of devicetool.jar (devicetool2.jar). After I loaded novacom this worked and the touchpad is working again. I've zipped up all the files and instructions if anyone needs them. Pakage includes novaconinstaller x86 & x64, devicetool2.jar and a txt readme file with how I fixed my touchpad.

Thanks Ceejayqb,

your a life saver. If it wasnt for you, then I would be stuck with a Brand new out the box Touchpad that could not be activated because the blood sucking corporation called HP decided to shut down the servers. Thanks again mate

Thanks also to this forum, webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    During the various times I reset my TouchPad, I have not found any way to skip the First Use app. Unlike what HP says there is no Phone app available during First Use, and no full Device Info app to enter the custom app code in. Here's a way you can bypass First Use by adapting the old activation bypass tool.

You'll need:

Procedure:
    1. Install Novacom if you haven't already (run webOS Doctor, but don't attach your TouchPad)
    2. Open the webOS Doctor .jar with your archiver.
    3. Navigate to the "resources" folder, and open "webOS.tar"
    4. Extract "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage"
    5. Open devicetool.jar
    6. Navigate to "com/palm/webos/devicetool/images/"
    7. Add the extracted "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage" to this folder, and save
    8. Turn off your TouchPad
    9. Hold Vol+ and Power on your TouchPad until the big USB logo is displayed
    10. Plug in your TouchPad to your computer with the USB cable
    11. Open up a command prompt/terminal
    12. Type
      Code:
      java -jar path/to/devicetool.jar
      where "path/to/devicetool.jar" is where you downloaded devicetool.jar to
    13. Wait until the tool displays "Device is ready.", and then you can disconnect your TouchPad. Your TouchPad can now be used and connected to with Novacom

Sample tool output:
    Code:
    C:\>java -jar devicetool.jar
    Found device: topaz-bootie
    Copying ram disk.................
    Rebooting device...
    Configuring device...
      Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
      Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2
      8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
      0 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
    Rebooting device...
    Device is ready.
    When you're ready to properly set up your TouchPad, delete "/var/luna/preferences/first-use-profile-created" on your TouchPad and reboot.
    Could you walk me thru this over emails or facetime or something. I cant get it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donique Aaliyah View Post
    Could you walk me thru this over emails or facetime or something. I cant get it right.
    Hi, I'm no expert and haven't had to do this yet, but there are more detailed and updated instructions here:
    HP TP Server Error
    It's worth reading it all, but post 13 is the main instructions and there's discussion with a user clarifying some points.

Good luck! Tell us how you get on.
    what is the location of this file

delete "/var/luna/preferences/first-use-profile-created"

i didnt found in hp webos

any member tell the correct location
    what is the location of this file

delete "/var/luna/preferences/first-use-profile-created"

i didnt found in hp webos

any member tell the correct location
    Cannot download devicetool.jar from the quoted link. It says 'access denied". Please help me to find the same
    Anyone unable to get their Touchpad working with above instructions, someone sent me an updated version of devicetool.jar (devicetool2.jar). After I loaded novacom this worked and the touchpad is working again. I've zipped up all the files and instructions if anyone needs them. Pakage includes novaconinstaller x86 & x64, devicetool2.jar and a txt readme file with how I fixed my touchpad.

Worked. Thanks!

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for saving my Touchpad. I thought webOS was gone forever!
    Quote Originally Posted by richdebby View Post
    Can someone share a copy of the Activation By-Pass Tool?

We - my husband and I - just resurrected a bricked TouchPad & reset with secure erase/restore. Now it is just like new, factory fresh & ready to use. I would like to bypass the HP WebOS account login to see how it's done before the servers shut down in January. That way I know how to do it so if I need to Dr, reinstall, or reset another TP in the future the process is not foreign to me. Of course I did not think about this until AFTER HP pulled all the web pages & files, so I can't use the palm.com link in the first post.

As I am about to head to work, I will check back later tonight. Thank you!!

12/24 8:45am - Thanks for the help - the tool worked great on the TouchPad (32gb v3.0.5) and I was done in a matter of minutes!
    Glad to hear you were able to get your tablet up and running. I'm at the last part where I'm suppose to type something once I pull up Command Prompt but I don't know the path to devicetool2.jar. I don't know where it's saved, except I can access it by typing tp_activate(1).zip at the start menu or from WinRAR. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Draylyn View Post
    Glad to hear you were able to get your tablet up and running. I'm at the last part where I'm suppose to type something once I pull up Command Prompt but I don't know the path to devicetool2.jar. I don't know where it's saved, except I can access it by typing tp_activate(1).zip at the start menu or from WinRAR. Any suggestions?
    As far as I understand your question, the devicetool file is where you left it. If you are at the end of the process, then you have already modified the file. Where was it when you did this? You seem to refer to two files. What is tp_activate(1).zip? Is this the modified version? I'm not sure it will run under java unless it is a .jar file (this maybe as simple as changing the suffix)

EDIT: Yes, I see from the other thread and back tracking here that a modified device tool & instructions have been distributed in a zip file. As davodego states below, you need to extract the devicetool.jar from the zip file before proceeding.

I don't know what system is running on your computer, but you could search for the file name and then look at it's properties to see the path. On a windows machine, this is typically by right clicking on the file icon and selecting 'properties'. If your system has an address bar in it's windows, the the path is displayed there.

If you have downloaded the device tool and not moved it, then it is in the folder where your browser downloads items. This is set in the browser preferences or options. I think the default is 'downloads'.

A typical path might look like this (on windows):
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\My Documents\Downloads\devicetool2.jar

This thread: HP TP Server Error Also has instructions for this process (derived from the ones on this thread). They start at post 13. Post 20 is a user asking about the path. You can see from the replies that it seems the path you type should be relative to your position in the file system (post 25).
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/21/2015 at 11:13 PM.
    As far as I understand your question, the devicetool file is where you left it. If you are at the end of the process, then you have already modified the file. Where was it when you did this? You seem to refer to two files. What is tp_activate(1).zip? Is this the modified version? I'm not sure it will run under java unless it is a .jar file (this maybe as simple as changing the suffix)

I don't know what system is running on your computer, but you could search for the file name and then look at it's properties to see the path. On a windows machine, this is typically by right clicking on the file icon and selecting 'properties'. If your system has an address bar in it's windows, the the path is displayed there.

If you have downloaded the device tool and not moved it, then it is in the folder where your browser downloads items. This is set in the browser preferences or options. I think the default is 'downloads'.

A typical path might look like this (on windows):
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\My Documents\Downloads\devicetool2.jar

This thread: HP TP Server Error Also has instructions for this process (derived from the ones on this thread). They start at post 13. Post 20 is a user asking about the path. You can see from the replies that it seems the path you type should be relative to your position in the file system (post 25).
    tp_activate(1).zip is ZIP archiv with devicetool2.jar and novacom driver inside.
    It must be unpack befor you can use the files inside.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daniel from Kranichfeld, Thüringen, Germay, Old Europe
    Preemptive likes this.
    I finally got through the activation by-pass (have been out of touch with webOS for 6+ months and didn't know I shouldn't have done that last month - ugh!) and now the app catalog is stuck with the spinning circle shadowing "choose a country". Can't get the spin to stop to choose a country. And seem to be stuck with Dr. Skip Firstuse. Though he was a big help, guess he doesn't have a country! Advice to get the app catalog up again? I have tried resetting the date but can't get to the catalog to select "update".

You sir will be the reason that man kind will live on!! Thank you sir!!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast