webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > HP Touchpad webOS doctor gets stuck at 8%
HP Touchpad webOS doctor gets stuck at 8%

Old 07/28/2012, 06:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello my touch pad is corrupt and I need to fix it with the memboot option. I have no idea how to do that. I click on novacom and it flashes on my screen for a second and then disapaires.... i have already gotten into novaterm and done
lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
it said *reading all physical volumes. this may take a while... found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2*

lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
it said *8 logical volume (s) in the volume group "store" now active*

and

mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media
it said *mkdosfs 2.11 (12 Mar 2006)*

but nothing happened. people said it gives them like options but i only got nothing.... I am stuck.... i reboot into recover mode and still get stuck at 8%
dzilla91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/28/2012, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Verify: do you actually have novacom? To the best of my knowledge it's only shipped in the SDK. You will have novacomd already. Also, you'll need a copy of webOS Doctor (jar version, not jnlp), and extract the boot image from it. I'll write a guide in a short moment when I get on my computer.

1. Obtain webOS Doctor JAR. Visit http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions for a list
2. Download and install webOS SDK (note: optional, though it has the latest version (22) whereas the standalone package from the open source site is 21 and Doctor 19)
3. Open the webOS Doctor JAR in your archiver, and navigate to resources. Keep on going into webOS.tar/./ and extract nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage.
4. Put your TP in USB Recovery mode by holding Vol+ and turning the TP on (Center+Power reset prior if required). Plug it in to your computer, and detach any other webOS device you may have.
5. Open up a command prompt/terminal (on Windows: Win-R, and type cmd)
6. cd to the directory where you extracted the boot image.
7. Type
Code:
novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage
8. In a moment you should see an HP logo on the TP's screen. Wait a few seconds and then shell in to your device.
(Recommendation: if you have the standalone/Doctor novacom, you can use the Java novaterm application. It works better (if only slightly) than the standard command line version.

Run what you need to now. When you run Doctor, open it in a command prompt so it can output debug messages. Surely you've seen this page: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...nnects_at_8.25
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor

Last edited by GMMan; 07/28/2012 at 09:41 AM.
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: 3FLi
Old 07/28/2012, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Verify: do you actually have novacom? To the best of my knowledge it's only shipped in the SDK. You will have novacomd already. Also, you'll need a copy of webOS Doctor (jar version, not jnlp), and extract the boot image from it. I'll write a guide in a short moment when I get on my computer.

1. Obtain webOS Doctor JAR. Visit WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals for a list
2. Download and install webOS SDK (note: optional, though it has the latest version (22) whereas the standalone package from the open source site is 21 and Doctor 19)
3. Open the webOS Doctor JAR in your archiver, and navigate to resources. Keep on going into webOS.tar/./ and extract nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage.
4. Put your TP in USB Recovery mode by holding Vol+ and turning the TP on (Center+Power reset prior if required). Plug it in to your computer, and detach any other webOS device you may have.
5. Open up a command prompt/terminal (on Windows: Win-R, and type cmd)
6. cd to the directory where you extracted the boot image.
7. Type
Code:
novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage
8. In a moment you should see an HP logo on the TP's screen. Wait a few seconds and then shell in to your device.
(Recommendation: if you have the standalone/Doctor novacom, you can use the Java novaterm application. It works better (if only slightly) than the standard command line version.

Run what you need to now. When you run Doctor, open it in a command prompt so it can output debug messages. Surely you've seen this page: How To Recover - WebOS Internals
jjhj

Last edited by dzilla91; 07/28/2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07/28/2012, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Can I assume you have some basic command line skills? Please read this: MS-DOS Command Prompt :: Computer Tutorial
Type the command exactly after you have changed the directory to where you extracted the boot image, and then hit enter.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 07/28/2012, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Can I assume you have some basic command line skills? Please read this: MS-DOS Command Prompt :: Computer Tutorial
Type the command exactly after you have changed the directory to where you extracted the boot image, and then hit enter.
Okay I have done everything except run Doctor in command prompt. I dont know how. Can you help me through it?

Last edited by dzilla91; 07/28/2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07/28/2012, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzilla91 View Post
Okay I have done everything except run Doctor in command prompt. I dont know how. Can you help me through it?
See the top of the "How to Recover" page. You can skip cd'ing to the Java directory if you can't find it.
Old 07/29/2012, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Okay so I have done all steps needed , like the novacom and novaterm commands to try and fix the 8% problem.. Yet when I try finish the job with doctor i still get errors. is their another way to fix this other then going to novacom and typing *novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage* and going to novaterm and
typing *lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure, & lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure, and also mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media*? as you see i do as the webos internals instruction say to do. yet when i run doctor i still get stuck at 8% with this error...(check attachment photo)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CMD for webos doctor.jpg (535.5 KB, 16 views) Email Attachment
Old 07/29/2012, 12:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

<<threads merged>>

OP.. please don't start new threads to continue the conversation. thanks

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2012, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey guys, I have in my spare time been trying to fix my (hopefully not) bircked HP touchpad.

I tried installing every available version of WebOS Doctor. I have tried following all the steps here to reformat my SDcard partition and then re-flash WebOS on. No luck.

I don't remember how to get WebOS doctor to run in command-line mode, can someone quickly explain? I will post whatever it says there to see what it tells me. I hope my touchpad isn't totally bricked, but when I had Cyanogenmod 9 loaded on it with Gingerbread, I kept getting SD card issues, so I stopped using it for months and it sat in a drawer.

Now I have tried to update the WebOS version on it to the newest one, and it wouldn't boot. Which is why I am now in this dilemma. Someone PLEASE help. Thank you so much!
samzebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2012, 04:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Bump

Someone knowledgeable on this topic please give me some kind of input?
samzebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2012, 08:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Check my post near the top for instructions on opening Doctor on the command line.
Old 01/16/2013, 11:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Could you run me through step 8? I get to the HP logo on the TP's screen then what am I suppose to do? What do you mean by "shell in to your device"
I looked at How To Recover - WebOS Internals and tried typing novaterm on the windows command prompt but it says 'novaterm' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

EDIT 1: Just figured out that I needed to actually download novaterm and put it in the same folder
Accessing Linux Using Novaterm - WebOS Internals

Now I get through all of this
Code:
After it boots, run novaterm:

novaterm

Once connected to the device, type:

lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure

then type:

mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

Once that completes, put the device back into recovery mode and run the webOS Doctor.
which shows me this on novaterm
Code:
 root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
     Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
     Found volume group "store" using metadata typle lvm2
root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
     8 logical volume (s) in volume group "store" now active
root@webos-device:/# mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media
mkdosfs 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)
I don't know how to run it in the command prompt and when I hold the volume + and power button down it didn't go into recovery mode so I just double click to run webos Doctor which put it in recovery mode but it still fails at 8%

EDIT 2: I think I figured out how to run it in command prompt. I simply typed webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar in the command prompt since it was in the same folder as the other files and it ran. However webos doctor still failed at 8% and I didn't get any output debug messages in the command prompt.

What am I doing wrong?

I downloaded and installed all these files in the same folder:
VirtualBox-4.0.18-82821-Win.exe
HP_webOS_SDK-Win-3.0.5-676-x86.exe
webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar
nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage (extracted)
novaterm.exe
TerminalControl.dll

Last edited by 3FLi; 01/16/2013 at 11:36 PM.
3FLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 11:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

You're should run Doctor from command prompt as in:
Code:
java -jar path\to\doctor
It may be possible that you have a different partition that's corrupt.
Old 01/16/2013, 11:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Sorry to be a noob but I typed out exactly java -jar path\to\doctor in the command prompt and got the message
Error: Unable to access jarfile path\to\doctor

I know I am doing something silly wrong
The webos doctor file "webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar" is located in my c:/users/name/downloads/webos
Also I am not sure if this matter but I am using Windows 7

What is my next step if a different partition is corrupt?
My whole problem start from this HP Touchpad "Error Restoring Data"

Last edited by 3FLi; 01/17/2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01/17/2013, 12:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

I see you don't use the command line often. replace "path\to\doctor" with the real path to webOS Doctor. As for what to do next, I want to see the log first. There's also a text version. Type "%temp%" (no quotes) into the Run box (press Win-R to get it), click OK, and search in their for files with webOS in the file name. The file you're locking has a ".0" at the end.
Old 01/17/2013, 01:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

Ok I got webOS doctor to open in command prompt by typing:
Java -jar c:/users/name/downloads/webos/webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar
And it seems like all the info ran on command prompt
I then typed %temp% in the run box which opened up windows explore in the temp folder. I did a search for webOS but came up with no results. I also did a search in all of c drive for webOS and didn't find a file that had .0 at the end.
Why is that?

Last edited by 3FLi; 01/17/2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01/17/2013, 02:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

Probably just Windows Search being annoying and not searching for all file types. I don't have the exact file name, but I think it starts with Palm something.
Old 01/17/2013, 08:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thanks GMMan I found the PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.0 and attached it to this post. I added the extension .txt so I could upload it. Could you please tell me what you think? It still stops at 8%. Greatly appreciated
Attached Files
File Type: txt PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.0.txt (121.0 KB, 2 views) Email Attachment
Old 01/17/2013, 09:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FLi View Post
Thanks GMMan I found the PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.0 and attached it to this post. I added the extension .txt so I could upload it. Could you please tell me what you think? It still stops at 8%. Greatly appreciated
You seem to have the same error logged at this thread here. Try the steps outlined on here to make a new uncorrupt dev/mapper/store-log. This will probably help you.

Pre 3 Doctor quits at 8%. Please Help!!!
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: 3FLi
Old 01/17/2013, 10:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ok I tried the Pre 3 Doctor quits at 8%. Please Help!!! and still webos doctor stopped at 8%

I opened up command prompt, cd download, cd webos until I got to the folder with my file nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage in it then inputed this code

Code:
novacom -w boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage
novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/log
novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 24M -n log store
novacom -w run file://sbin/mke2fs.e2fsprogs -- -j -q /dev/store/log
This is what I got:
Code:
C:\User\Name\Downloads\webOS>novacom -w boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage
C:\User\Name\Downloads\webOS>novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static - scan --ignorelockingfailure
     Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
     Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2

C:\User\Name\Downloads\webOS>novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
     8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active

C:\User\Name\Downloads\webOS>novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/log
     Logical volume "log" successfully removed

C:\User\Name\Downloads\webOS>novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvcreate -L 24M -n log store
     Logical volume "log" already exists in volume group "store"
novacom: unexpected EOP from server

C:\User\Name\Downloads\webOS>novacom -w run file://sbin/mke2fs.e2fsprogs -- -j -q /dev/store/log
Could not stat /dev/store/log --- No such file or director

The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?
novacom: unexpected EOF from server

C:\User\Name\Downloads\webOS>
WebOS Doctor still stopped at 8%. What am I doing wrong?
Here is the PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog.0 that came from all this
Attached Files
File Type: txt PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.0.txt (184.0 KB, 3 views) Email Attachment

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0