Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi
    Can I get kindle on my touchpad?
    if so how?
    I have it on android, but want it on webOS also.
    Thanks.
    A) Either
    1) Start AppCatalog
    2) Get Kindle
    3) Start Kindle

B) Or (if you are in a country where you don't have it in the app catalog)
    1) Get that app catalog country changer from Preware
    2) change country
    3) go to A1) and continue there

C) Or if you can't do that
    1) download ipk (google is your friend here)
    2) Install ipk via WebOSQuickinstall
    3) start Kindle

Life is easy on the WebOS side of things.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the simple tips.
    I can't find the app catalog changer though.
    Any idea what its called in preware?
    Thanks
  4.    #4  
    I tried the final way, but can't find an .ipk that will download.

looks like I will have to go back to android for my kindle then.

life isn't easy in webOS land! . . And that's a shame, because it has/had so much potential.
    god knows why it was ditched.

thanks for the help, but I can't get kindle on my touchpad.
    I thought it came preinstalled, but maybe there are country limitations.

Also, there is a webOS quick install instruction app that you can purchase that might help. Proceeds support the developer and I think it only costs a buck.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by theVenerable View Post
    Thanks for the simple tips.
    I can't find the app catalog changer though.
    Any idea what its called in preware?
    Thanks
    It's not on Preware because WebOS Internals does not support moving-target files (like App Catalog, which updates independently of the OS). Check the link in my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    It's not on Preware because WebOS Internals does not support moving-target files (like App Catalog, which updates independently of the OS). Check the link in my signature.
    They (webOS Internals) say that but that is why they updated from normal patch to AUPT (Auto Update Patch Technology), HP/Palm moved some of the webOS stock apps from local apps to crypto apps, in a nut shell they are with any other app a user installs.

For instance the app catalog (findapps), Maps, Calender, Clock, Calculator, QuickOffice, etc...

Those can be patched via AUPT, for instance UberCalendar Patch.

The difference is the app catalog, maps, and Quickoffice have been updated via the catalog. However who is to say if/when any of the stock apps will be updated by HP/Palm.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/27/2012 at 12:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    They (webOS Internals) say that but that is why they updated from normal patch to AUPT (Auto Update Patch Technology), HP/Palm moved some of the webOS stock apps from local apps to crypto apps, in a nut shell they are with any other app a user installs.

For instance the app catalog (findapps), Maps, Calender, Clock, Calculator, QuickOffice, etc...

Those can be patched via AUPT, for instance UberCalendar.
    The apps moved to cryptofs are mostly static. Last time I checked a few of the apps aren't even in App Catalog. App Catalog self-updates, and so does QuickOffice. If HP changes any of the files that can be patched, and not release the new version along with a new OS version, the patch portal will reject anything you try to apply to the new files.
  9.    #9  
    I got the Ipk. Now I can't find webOS quick I stall. 'can't open mime' or something
    this is ridiculous.

I guess we will be forever fiddling with webos just to get it to do basic stuff.
    Frankly i cant be bothered.
    I love how it looks, but im not going to learn how to dissect it everytime i want something new on it.
    Please kindly let me know if there is an easy way to just install kindle.
    If not, I have no problems reading it on my android boot.
    thanks

I'm also having big troubles trying to get a asus transformer tf101 to update, even manually. It should update automatically, but wont even do it manually on mine.

Maybe i should have just got an Ipad....they work, have tons of aps, with a dead simple interface. and seems pretty much as reliable as a rock.
    People say 'dont be a sheep, dont get an ipad'.. i say 'listen to common sense and stop trying to be different all the time.'
    Only thing that sucks about ipad is its price.
    Last edited by theVenerable; 07/27/2012 at 02:21 PM.
    webos quick install is a java program meant to be run from a computer with the touchpad put into developer mode so that you can side load the ipk you have. Please see this thread for more...

How to install homebrew apps on your TouchPad or webOS smartphone | webOS Nation

Try to relax a little, you expect to not read anything and you have this strange "I dont have time for this" attitude. This is a VERY simple thing to do on a webos device. Much easier than jailbreaking ios devices...
    Last edited by creepingmee; 07/27/2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typed javascript instead of java out of habit :)
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    webos quick install is a javascript program
    You mean Java. Javascript and Java are completely different things (and I'm not going to get into the details).

@theVenerable: While knowing how to use homebrew programs isn't a strict requirement of operating webOS (look at all the people running iOS that hasn't jailbroken), it makes the experience more enjoyable. Necessarily, you'll have to do some learning before being able to master the system. Do read the article linked in the post above, and install Preware while you're at it. As a bonus, if WOSQI is complaining about not being able to download Novacom, here are the links to them:

Win x86: http://downloads.help.palm.com/opens...com-win-32.tgz
    Win x64: http://downloads.help.palm.com/opens...com-win-64.tgz
    Mac: http://downloads.help.palm.com/opens...ovacom-mac.tgz

For the record, the TouchPad is not a native Android device. There are still many imperfections in Android on the TouchPad, such as running the battery down and preventing it from recharging. Flaunting your "Android boot" doesn't make anyone jealous.
    You mean Java. Javascript and Java are completely different things (and I'm not going to get into the details).
    You are correct, I meant Java, I have edited my mistake.
    Don't use webOSBuzz. They're practically a wares site. They pull IPKs the downloaded and upload it to file sharing sites. I wonder why they haven't got a C&D from HP yet. Other than the forums with downloads to apps, they seem sort of legit.

I also wonder where they got the new Kindle version from. It's not in any release ROMs I have.
    MANY webOS developers have spoken out against webOS Buzz, and I question those that suggest going there to grab ANY software from there. Not. cool. at. all.

webOS Nation even had a long blog post about the place, encouraging people to report sites like this in order to help remaining webOS developers.
    There are still many imperfections in Android on the TouchPad, such as running the battery down and preventing it from recharging. Flaunting your "Android boot" doesn't make anyone jealous.
    I haven't encountered this problem since the early days of Android CM7 on the Touchpad. Haven't seen this at all with CM9, and they even had this fixed a couple of months after CM7 was released. Odd that this trope is still making the rounds.

And I don't see any flaunting, but I do see sour grapes about someone who made the decision to install it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    I haven't encountered this problem since the early days of Android CM7 on the Touchpad. Haven't seen this at all with CM9, and they even had this fixed a couple of months after CM7 was released. Odd that this trope is still making the rounds.

And I don't see any flaunting, but I do see sour grapes about someone who made the decision to install it.
    I'm basing that off of recent threads about people having run down batteries, and most of them mention Android. And yes, slightly being sour. I think the only thing Android has over webOS is the number of apps. I don't get the whole locked down bootloader deal and excessive customization (HTC Sense, TouchWiz, whatever). What's wrong with vanilla? And the Android experience I do have is with a HTC Legend, which is ridiculously slow, short on space, and things force close on it often. But of course that's old hardware. I just don't like Android FWIW. But I'm not forcing my opinions and refrain on commenting on Android.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    webos quick install is a java program meant to be run from a computer with the touchpad put into developer mode so that you can side load the ipk you have. Please see this thread for more...

How to install homebrew apps on your TouchPad or webOS smartphone | webOS Nation

Try to relax a little, you expect to not read anything and you have this strange "I dont have time for this" attitude. This is a VERY simple thing to do on a webos device. Much easier than jailbreaking ios devices...
    Thanks, sorry I came across that way.
    I don't need, kindle on webos , just wanted it. The first guy who commented made it look as simple as breathing..
    I just got fed up with both my touch pad and my transformer not working well and needing to be 'tweaked' to do simple things (and in some cases, the tweaking doesn't even help).

I do like my touch pad, just saying.

I'all have a look at the home brew install and see if I get on with it.

I still think webos should not have been ditched.
    It looks so polished compared to android,
    As for ios on an iPad, I'm not even sure why it would even need jail breaking? And even if it did,this would only need to be done once I guess...
    I guess iOS is the 'sensible' middle ground. Looks polished,and has all the apps, doesn't have flash player tho....that's lame..
    I've never owned an iPad so I can't really say, but it may well be my next purchase if I ever get another full size tablet..... that or a windows 8 tablet(if they fulfill their potential)..... or a webos device if they ever bring webos back into the game properly...
    Last edited by theVenerable; 07/28/2012 at 01:46 AM.
  17.    #17  
    So much for the 'simpIe solution' .
    Heres a run down of my latest fun & games:

I CANT install the kindle IPK without webOSquick install...
    I CANT install webOSquick install without a NOVACOM driver.
    I CANT install a novacom driver , even with the universal novacom installer.
    I CANT find a download of webos doctor for touchpad (if it even helps?)

Now, can anyone provide clear solution with links?

I keep thinking I should have not got this touchpad, and this asus transformer, and just got a rock solid ipad.
    I know how good the touchpad CAN be, but i'm getting tired of it keep dangling a carrot in front of my face only to let me down again.
    I feel that way about my eeepad also, with its updating issue(it wont update)

Ipads are for sheep? call me a sheep,i wont mind, at least If i had an ipad i could sit back and use it.
  18.    #18  
    I've tried it on two pc's, and can absolutely confirm, webosquickinstall will not download the required drivers, and even novamcom installer wont work.
    ive tried on both windows xp and 7...
    I find it hard to beleive that this software has just stopped working, so i ask again,

can somebody please give me working links.
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Look at post 11 above. Doesn't that help?
    this is probably overkill, but I downloaded the webos SDK which also installs the novacom drivers. You could try that - find it here: https://developer.palm.com/index.php...t=page&id=1788

make sure your touchpad is in developer mode and when you connect it to your pc make sure you do NOT put it in USB mode. Then open WOSQI and you should be able to install the kindle IPK

don't think ive said anything that hasn't already been said here but I'm sayin it anyway
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast