Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    My TouchPad, after a year, is starting to die out on me. The battery is holding the charge nearly as long as it used to (That was probably because of miss use). BUT,I've had an amazing time using the Touchpad. The TP has had so many things done to it. Overclocking, Android install, patching, sideloading and nearly dropping it (Surprisingly there are no scratches anywhere on the screen but speaker is cracked and back is scratched).

Now it's going to my Mum as it still has uses and she wants it to just use on top of the kindle. I will be switching to the darkside (AKA iMore) and buying a brand new iPad 3. The money spent is crippling my pocket but it arrives tomorrow and should be happy (especially with an included iTunes $50 gift card courtesy of Apple).

Now, how are all y'alls' Touchpads and Pres(?) and Veers? It would be nice to here from you all seeing that if you did buy your webOS devices at the fire sale, my TP is basically your devices' assembly line and warehouse shelf sibling (haha).
    Mine was bought the week immediately before the firesale through a special HP-authorized employee sale (not at HP). My TP is starting to have a hairline crack beside the speaker (which doesn't bother me because I can barely see it). My battery capacity is at 90%, which is around what's rated on the battery label (seems the battery IC overestimates the rated capacity).
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Mine was bought the week immediately before the firesale through a special HP-authorized employee sale (not at HP). My TP is starting to have a hairline crack beside the speaker (which doesn't bother me because I can barely see it). My battery capacity is at 90%, which is around what's rated on the battery label (seems the battery IC overestimates the rated capacity).
    The speaker crack is bigger for mine. Very noticeable but minor, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthur5461 View Post
    My TouchPad, after a year, is starting to die out on me. The battery is holding the charge nearly as long as it used to (That was probably because of miss use). BUT,I've had an amazing time using the Touchpad. The TP has had so many things done to it. Overclocking, Android install, patching, sideloading and nearly dropping it (Surprisingly there are no scratches anywhere on the screen but speaker is cracked and back is scratched).

Now, how are all y'alls' Touchpads and Pres(?) and Veers? It would be nice to here from you all seeing that if you did buy your webOS devices at the fire sale, my TP is basically your devices' assembly line and warehouse shelf sibling (haha).
    Its sad to hear to what has happened to your TouchPad, it appears that it had a quite nice life under your care. However, due to its plastic casing and poor built quality it was destined for sometime to cause failures and have a short durability. While, I have over-clocked mine to the 1.5 ghz speed never crossed my mind to install android on it. Despite my TouchPad sitting on my nightstand, it had developed a hairline crack that I quickly fix with a small drop of crazy glue.

While I'm happy to see that you have found a nice tablet that I'm sure you will enjoy, I don't get on the buying a iPad 3rd gen except for the retina display/apps. I have seen Android Tablets that are a bit more user-friendly than the iPad, and the Asus Tablets with the Dock Stations that acts as a keyboard(while transforming it into a netbook) are a great choice than the Apple's offerings.

However, if that is your choice it shall be respected....enjoy your new iPad tablet. Try, don't to forget the WebOS operating system specially its multitasking abilities which I think that you will find Apple's iOS frustrating and cumbersome to use.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Happy Birthday!!!!!! (They Grow Up So Fast!)

Had mine since launch day here in Canada. I don't feel mine is "nearing death", but I'm not out buying other tablets either.....and I USE mine pretty heavily.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I've not heard of any battery issues with the 3 here, although the charger for my daughter's apparently died recently. Then again, two of them pretty much stay on touchstones all the time, mine is the only one that goes anywhere regularly
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Mine's still going strong. Bought in the firesale and used pretty much every day since then, throughout the day. Web browsing, email, music and radio (it sits behind me connected to the stereo - I work from home), pdfs, comics and games. TV listings, YouTube, XKCD, three magazine subscriptions on Zinio, books on Kindle.

It's been away with me to South Korea, and on a few other trips, but mostly stays at home. It's protected in a great Tuff-Luv case.

One of my best purchases. Ever.

Spyke
    kataran likes this.
    This reminds me, we still need a XKCD app. *sigh* so many apps to write, so little time.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I've had mine for a year now. It has one of the speaker cracks, and the sound sometimes gets fuzzy (reboot helps). I'm still using it every day as my primary tablet (and that's coming from someone with an iPad 2 -- take that, Apple!).
    Happy birthday Touchpad. Still waiting for that baby sister or brother!
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Still take mine with me every day to work, going strong. Wifes has a crack on speaker side (not coming from speaker, if it gets really bad I will skin or fix with some glue, not dealing with the warranty repair at this point. The third one is good as well, fully charged and turned it off, last time I powered it up and the 2nd Pre2 both were at 100%. Need to take a look at the Veers and still doctor one of em, but meh that's low priority.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    This reminds me, we still need a XKCD app. *sigh* so many apps to write, so little time.
    Comics HD has serviceable XKCD, complete with alt-text. The only thing is you can't go back more than the first pave of feeds.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    2 year old VZPre+ has a crack at the USB port which hasn't gotten to the screen yet, but is well on its way. Fire sale TouchPad running fine with overclock and dual boot. Just got a VZPre 2 from Dailysteals and it's awesome.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    The main reason for getting the iPad is the screen resolution (I know the ASUS Infinity has a 1920x1200 screen and DDR3-1600 RAM) and the gift card. I would rather use the $50 card than spEnd 50 of my own money. Also, I want to have a better support system as Apple has the retail stores and whatnot. A camera is not my main priority though even if it is of average quality. Also, the risk on getting a malicious app download is much higher than on iOS than Android and Android still isn't completely polished. Even with ICS and less so with Jelly Bean.

Having webOS was probably the best thing ever because of its true multitasking which I will miss greatly. I will miss the ability of playing a YouTube music video in the background and working in another app at the same time. The major thing is the lack of webOS apps. I need more apps which is a good reason I put Android on it.

It's quite funny that I'm using the TP to type this out to everyone. :-)
    Also, with iPad, I will now have owned all relevant mobile OSes. Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS, iOS, Android and webOS.
    Mine is getting a bit wobbly in the plastic case, but otherwise going strong. I plan to keep using it for as long as possible.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    how do you check the condition of the battery on the touchpad?
    Dr Battery in preware
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    how do you check the condition of the battery on the touchpad?
    You can do it with Dr. Battery in the app catalog. It will check the status, but you cannot calibrate.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    You can do it with Dr. Battery in the app catalog. It will check the status, but you cannot calibrate.
    Not in app cat, in preware (unless I have been missing it in app cat all these years, but pretty sure it doesn't fit within app cat rules).
    I still take mine to work every day and use it to take notes at meetings which are then saved to google docs. But they gave me an iPad to use at work and this old touchpad comes off very scraggly now in comparison. I still curse every time I hit a web site where I need to click the x in the url bar to stop the page from re-loading eternally. The iPad retina screen is so much easier on the eye and the scrolling response of the iPad is much snappier as is the pinch and zoom.

I'll never be completely ashamed of the tp because it cost $100, but it is pretty much of an old clunker nowadays and will soon be relegated to less prominent uses...
    dignitary likes this.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Not in app cat, in preware (unless I have been missing it in app cat all these years, but pretty sure it doesn't fit within app cat rules).
    Whoa, you're right! I can't find it in the app cat, Preware, or Uber App Cat. It WAS there. I don't know what to tell you. If you find a similar app (especially one that can calibrate a TP and/or Pre 3), please ,et me know!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast