1. tfj
    When I try to 'webosdoctor' my palm-ROM-frozen TouchPad at a public library Windows XP machine, after it installs novacom, it says I have to "restart" the computer. But if I press "yes", the machine restarts or reboots (I'm not sure), and as far as I can tell, it erases everything and I'm back at square one. If I run webosdoctor again, the same thing happens. How do I get around this?
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by tfj View Post
    When I try to 'webosdoctor' my palm-ROM-frozen TouchPad at a public library Windows XP machine, after it installs novacom, it says I have to "restart" the computer. But if I press "yes", the machine restarts or reboots (I'm not sure), and as far as I can tell, it erases everything and I'm back at square one. If I run webosdoctor again, the same thing happens. How do I get around this?
    Thanks.
    I can't imagine that you would be allowed to install a program on a computer at a public institution like a library. Is it possible to try this at a friend's home? Most computers at places like that are configured to re-set the computer to a default configuration after a user tries to modify the OS or software.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  3. tfj
    Actually that seemed the case a few years ago, but nowadays here (Alachua County, Florida), you are free to install most anything.

To clarify my post, the Windows request to “restart” the machine was not related to novacom installation as I had thought, but rather to the TouchPad as a device, because the TP was palm.com/ROM-frozen and thus unrecognizable by Windows; the restart request should be refused (“no”).

An actual problem turned out to be ‘low-battery’: it seems the battery maybe doesn’t charge when the palm/ROM triangle logo displays, even if the wall-charger runs for an hour and is warm (I could be wrong); you may need the red-line battery logo displaying to charge (it tells you the current state of charge, too; I'm not sure how to find it). Once the battery got above %25, webosdoctor succeeded.
    Thanks,
    TFJ

Oops - now it looks like the library has blocked installing novacom. Is there a way to get around this, say by using an online server or something? Or can the preware ipk be installed manually using the TP's on-board ipkg system, using any command-line available from HP's official feed (e.g. artxxork commander?)
    Last edited by tfj; 08/01/2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: changed circumstances - no novacom allowed
  4. tfj
    oops ...
    Last edited by tfj; 08/15/2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: (meant for a different post; erased)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfj View Post
    I tried to replicate the problem on a freshly doctored TP, but nothing untoward occurred, so yes, you are correct: I probably made a wild-card goof, erasing all the app files in the same folder as the quake files; the boot was probably normal, with no erase-mode triggered, and /media/internal may have been untouched after all.

To give my post some redeeming value, here are some ideas:

Never run "rm -rf XXX" directly, by itself; instead run "ls -a XXX" first, to see what you are about to demolish. Better yet, wrap such code up in a shell script, named, say, "rmrf", and use it instead.

I would do the same thing with the "mv" command, which in my experience is the quirkiest and most dangerous command ("mv myfile Myfile"? Oops! "mv oldfolder/* newfolder"? Oh, no!). It's seems prone to mystifying errors, depending on the version and the filesystem. In fact, I would avoid using "mv" anywhere, and instead, use "cp", exist-and-compare tests, and "rm" in a script.
    If you can help it, tunnel in using SFTP or SCP and do it from a graphical interface. The commandline tools are great for removing single files or if you know them really well, but they are quite tricky if you're not familiar with all the behaviors.