Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  1.    #1  
    I took the liberty to dig around in the TP's file system and looked for what Beats Audio really is. So following the breadcrumbs:

-in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.soundsandalerts/source/SoundsAndAlertsPrefApp.jsjsjs, $there$'$s$ $a$ $reference$ $to$ $Beats$ $Audio$ $and$ $that$ $it$'$s$ $set$ $using$ $the$ $palm$://$com$.$palm$.$audio$/$state$/ $service$.
    -looking at the LS2 role files, palm://com.palm.audio maps to /usr/sbin/audiod
    -disassemble that, and arrive at TopazDevice::setBeatsOnForHeadphones(). Look through that, and it calls UCMDevice::ucm_set()
    -that eventually calls snd_use_case_set(), which is an ALSA function.

So effectively, enabling Beats Audio does this:
    Code:
    snd_use_case_set(&uc_mgr, "_enadev", "HeadphonesBeats.0");
    So Beats Audio is a device of some sort, either a physical chip, or some sort of virtual filter. It is unlikely to be a PulseAudio equalizer profile.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Whats the difference between a virtual filter and an equalizer profile? Beats audio reminds me of creative's "crystalizer". They use lots of fancy marketing jargon and say they "enhance the dynamic range" of music to make it sound better. Isn't that the same thing as having an equalizer profile? I do think music sounds better with creative's crystalizer, but I don't think it's magic, just a good audio profile.

Even if Beats uses a proprietary chip to do it, isn't it the same thing? I mean, what else can you do to sound, other than adjust different frequencies? I'm sure Beats does make things sound better, but again, I'm not expecting magic.

Thanks for figuring out as much as you did.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    So Beats Audio is a device of some sort, either a physical chip, or some sort of virtual filter. It is unlikely to be a PulseAudio equalizer profile.
    Didn't we already know this... ???

Pre 3 has beats audio
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

on a slightly different note, i really hate those stupid coloured beats headphones. Haven't had this much headphone rage since I started seeing everything with white earbuds about 10 years ago.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Didn't we already know this... ???

Pre 3 has beats audio
    All I could search up is speculation on the PC side. I'd say the real question is how they have it set up (software trick/separate hardware/custom audio chip with a switch).
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    All I could search up is speculation on the PC side. I'd say the real question is how they have it set up (software trick/separate hardware/custom audio chip with a switch).
    Its actually a software thing. You can do it to your android with a mod
    equalization is vastly different from dynamic range expansion. which is it?