Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sledge007
  1.    #1  
    I won a bid on eBay for a new in box Touchpad last month .Have not opened it yet as was a impulse buy. Not sure if I want to use it or try to sell it, purchase a sleek book style laptop instead. Would it mainly for surfing net, entertainment vs busy use. Any advice from you fellow Touchpad users? I've read allot of the posts, people seem to love it, just worried about it's support, etc,.. going forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbergum View Post
    I won a bid on eBay for a new in box Touchpad last month .Have not opened it yet as was a impulse buy. Not sure if I want to use it or try to sell it, purchase a sleek book style laptop instead. Would it mainly for surfing net, entertainment vs busy use. Any advice from you fellow Touchpad users? I've read allot of the posts, people seem to love it, just worried about it's support, etc,.. going forward.
    Can't speak for all users/touchpad versions.

I have a 32G version, it works very well for web browsing, light gaming (App Catalog has a lot of cool apps, too bad the developers gave up!, Flash games, PalmOS (with help from Classic from previous webOS versions), email, word processing thru Quickoffice or Picsel, movie (Roxio Movie store, crackle, DVD stripped to file, etc...), if you have a webOS phone you can pair it, use MAP sms-sharing, call via Bluetooth, with Pre/PrePlus/Pre2 (webOS 2.2.4 Bluetooth stack on webOS 2.1.0 or 2.2.4) or Pre3 or Veer (webOS 2.2.4) you also can get TapToShare web page sharing. Skype calling native to the TouchPad or thru phone pairing....

The battery lasts a long time, screen is great, and one can even put android on it as a duel boot when the app selection makes you mad.
    You're not gonna get a laptop for the price of a TouchPad. It's just not happenin.

I'd say if you really want the laptop, I wouldn't recommend against it. Sell the TP to a developer and call it a day =P

Or you could wait until the new MS Surface tablet comes out, and then sell it.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

4.    #4  
    Thank you both for your input. I realize I can't purchase the laptop for the price of the Touchpad, would use $$ from the sale of the Touchpad towards the total price. But appreciate the thoughts.
    Depends on your wants and needs. I originally bought my TP to dig into the OS, and had my laptop die a couple weeks later. Since then, dual booting linux and webOS, I have found the TP to be an acceptable laptop replacement for most things. If you do heavy graphics, coding, etc, obviously this won't work for you. Explore the site here, and see what the TP is capable of, then see if it will be a good fit for you.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Sell it. Most likely will develop back cover cracks, software bugs will stick with you forever, apps will no longer be developed, android also has bugs on tp, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by rioachim View Post
    Sell it. Most likely will develop back cover cracks, software bugs will stick with you forever, apps will no longer be developed, android also has bugs on tp, etc.
    Well, that's not entirely true either. Open webOS is planned for a September release, and is currently on schedule.

There are community people currently actively working on it in addition to the folks in Sunnyvale.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

I've had my TouchPad for exactly one year.....(in a few hours )...I haven't put on a screen protector, but had it in a case since day one. My battery health is still at 90%, and I would consider myself a power user, charging it at least once, if not twice per day. I have cracks as well, but honestly....not that big of a deal. It's in it's case, I take it to work with me almost every day...the cracks are irrelevant. I've dropped it way more times than I would have liked to...off the seat of my work truck onto the gearshift box, off my couch to the hardwood floor. There's a few scratches...but very minor ones. I've never owned a laptop, so I don't know how good they are against drops, but I'd say this TouchPad is pretty durable from the amount of abuse I've put it through.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    Depends on your wants and needs. I originally bought my TP to dig into the OS, and had my laptop die a couple weeks later. Since then, dual booting linux and webOS, I have found the TP to be an acceptable laptop replacement for most things. If you do heavy graphics, coding, etc, obviously this won't work for you. Explore the site here, and see what the TP is capable of, then see if it will be a good fit for you.

Thank you, would be starting out using for basic stuff like e-mail, etc,.. Appreciate the feedback.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I've had my TouchPad for exactly one year.....(in a few hours )...I haven't put on a screen protector, but had it in a case since day one. My battery health is still at 90%, and I would consider myself a power user, charging it at least once, if not twice per day. I have cracks as well, but honestly....not that big of a deal. It's in it's case, I take it to work with me almost every day...the cracks are irrelevant. I've dropped it way more times than I would have liked to...off the seat of my work truck onto the gearshift box, off my couch to the hardwood floor. There's a few scratches...but very minor ones. I've never owned a laptop, so I don't know how good they are against drops, but I'd say this TouchPad is pretty durable from the amount of abuse I've put it through.
    I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rioachim View Post
    That is my concern. Thaf's why I have on the forums, etc,. to get an idea on what to do. Thanks.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Well, that's not entirely true either. Open webOS is planned for a September release, and is currently on schedule.

There are community people currently actively working on it in addition to the folks in Sunnyvale.
    Thank you for the update on that.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post

Have you run into any issues with it since dual booting the other OS on their??
    Have you run into any issues with it since dual booting the other OS on their??
    I've been dual booting my 16 GB TouchPad for several months (on and off with CM7, been installed pretty much permanently since CM9), and other than the occasional CM9 bugs, it's been pretty solid.

The only odd issue I've occasionally run into is running the battery dead and not being able to boot back up while on a charger/touchstone (unplug after fully charged and it seems to start up again). Otherwise both webOS and Android run just fine as they are.

Install Cyboot on webOS from Preware so you can configure moboot to your liking (set default OS and a boot delay timer).
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    if you trave l a lot it can be useful in the airport and on plane flights etc.
    most of the future support for the device will come from people donating their time and effort in trying to make it a better machine. from what i have seen so far with android development, i dont expect that to slow down for a good while.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    I've been dual booting my 16 GB TouchPad for several months (on and off with CM7, been installed pretty much permanently since CM9), and other than the occasional CM9 bugs, it's been pretty solid.

The only odd issue I've occasionally run into is running the battery dead and not being able to boot back up while on a charger/touchstone (unplug after fully charged and it seems to start up again). Otherwise both webOS and Android run just fine as they are.

Install Cyboot on webOS from Preware so you can configure moboot to your liking (set default OS and a boot delay timer).
    Thank you. I appreciate the tips.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    For me, I finally decided to sell mine after really holding on for a while. The decider for me was ultimately apps. I got a new iPad for work, and once I started using the 2 side by side it was no contest. I can't stand the Apple walled garden, but ultimately a tablet is a tool for me, and the best tool at the moment is where I have to go.

I wasn't happy listing it this morning. Such potential.
    Would the laptop be your only computer?

Personally with the TouchPads we never touch the laptops/netbook any more. I work in front of a desktop, and when full computing is needed I fire up the desktop in my home office. We do use the HTPC, but this is not for "computing" it is for media consumption on the big screen with surround sound.

It really depends on your needs, laptops are nice to have, unless my work needs change I don't see buying one again any time soon. With my current employer, if I needed a laptop to do my job, I would be issued one (technically already have access to a shared one for my individual office that I could and do use when needed).

In the end, the wife and I both love our TouchPads and use them daily. She does have a single crack semi near the speaker but not coming from the speaker. I am all but certain this is from how you hold the TP at this point, as she holds hers differently than I do and is in landscape much more than I am.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Would the laptop be your only computer?

Personally with the TouchPads we never touch the laptops/netbook any more. I work in front of a desktop, and when full computing is needed I fire up the desktop in my home office. We do use the HTPC, but this is not for "computing" it is for media consumption on the big screen with surround sound.

It really depends on your needs, laptops are nice to have, unless my work needs change I don't see buying one again any time soon. With my current employer, if I needed a laptop to do my job, I would be issued one (technically already have access to a shared one for my individual office that I could and do use when needed).

In the end, the wife and I both love our TouchPads and use them daily. She does have a single crack semi near the speaker but not coming from the speaker. I am all but certain this is from how you hold the TP at this point, as she holds hers differently than I do and is in landscape much more than I am.
    Yes it is. Have an older HP laptop to use as my main computer so was debating about selling the TP and putting that $$ towards a newer laptop( sleek book ) - Appreciate your advice. Thank you.
    keep it! You sound like you use it the way I do and its great.