Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  • 1 Post By everythingsablur
  1.    #1  
    Hey gang,

So it's mid-July now, and we're quickly coming up on the anniversary of the Leo-pocalypse/TouchPad firesale. Like many of you, I swooped in and snagged a $99 TouchPad in the days of the firesale, as well two more 32 GB units when they dumped them into the developer program (though I've since given up trying to develop anything for it). One 32 GB unit is actually still sealed in the box!

Anyway, like a fool (genius?), I did pick up the 1-year ADP for my 16 GB unit. It is going to expire towards the end of August. Naturally, I'd love to make full use of that somewhat foolishly spent $49. My TP is generally pretty good though. It's been in a case with a screen protector since day 2, no speaker cracks, microUSB port works, my only minor issue with I can see two kind of faint bands running the length of the screen when it is off. Occasionally I can see them faintly when the device is on with a white screen displayed. They're equally located about a quarter in from the long screen edge; like looking at the Tropic of Cancer/Capricorn on a map.

I'm wondering if I should call HP and get them to fix the device over this, or truly give it an "accident" worth repair/replacement (like dropping it in the bathtub). Still, it's a little worrying to give up this unit for a potential refurb. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't sort of thing.

Is there anything they are specifically not covering with ADP? I saw some threads about not covering speaker cracks, but not much else.

For those of you who picked up the ADP option, what are your plans? Let it run out unless you really need to use it, or get a repair/replacement/refurb just because you did in fact pay for one?
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    I'd send it in. If you have *any* issues prior to warranty expiration, it's now or never.
    Are the faint bands like this?

HP Touchpad Screen Burn?
    Last edited by gaitch32; 07/14/2012 at 02:39 AM.
    BREAKING NEWS: All credit card PIN numbers in the World leaked. Here is a sample.....0001, 0002, 0003......
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    Quote edited...

Like many of you, I swooped in and snagged a $99 TouchPad in the days of the firesale, as well two more 32 GB units when they dumped them into the developer program (though I've since given up trying to develop anything for it). One 32 GB unit is actually still sealed in the box!
    Have to ask, why did you give up trying to develop for the platform, as I see it this is biggest issue with webOS, developers who gave up?

webOS, Open webOS needs developers now, not later....
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Have to ask, why did you give up trying to develop for the platform, as I see it this is biggest issue with webOS, developers who gave up?

+1. Developers are much needed now.

I wouldn't try to give it an accidental repair-worthy damage just because the year is up. That's just wrong IMHO and potentially could end up with damage that is not covered. As I said, that's just my opinion, YMMV...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaitch32 View Post
    Are the faint bands like this?

HP Touchpad Screen Burn?
    Well I'll be a monkey's uncle... That sound quite like my situation! I have a Zagg InvisiSHIELD and the HP folio case. I had gone out of town on business for a week and my wife put the TP back on the TouchStone with the cover closed. When I came home a couple days later, I noticed the lines right after I had flipped open the cover. In my mind, it was a strange defect for a screen to get like that, but look generally perfect when powered.

I'll order a new screen protector or contact Zagg and peel this one off.

I guess I have no issue with my TouchPad worth filing a damage or warranty claim then...

Quote Originally Posted by hemster View Post
    I wouldn't try to give it an accidental repair-worthy damage just because the year is up. That's just wrong IMHO and potentially could end up with damage that is not covered. As I said, that's just my opinion, YMMV...
    Not much it doesn't cover. Per HP's conditions, "If you purchased the accidental damage protection, you receive protection against accidental damage from handling the covered hardware product for the duration of your coverage from your device activation date. Accidental damage from handling is defined as physical damage to a product caused by or resulting from a sudden and unforeseen incident, provided such damage occurred in the course of regular use. Covered perils include unintentional liquid spills in or on the unit, drops, falls, and electrical surges. This includes damaged or broken liquid crystal displays (LCDs), or broken parts."

As for the morality of it, well, I paid for coverage. If I don't use it, then they should give me my money back (as some extended warranty plans do allow you to do).

Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post

Because JavaScript is not my language, and - more importantly - my day job (the one that pays the bills) has me on the road/in planes 50% of the time now. The other 50% when I'm not on the road is wife time. Life > nerdly pursuits. Sadly, my corporate clients aren't paying us for webOS applications (though our web-based UI for one project does work fine in the webOS browser).

I haven't looked at the 3.0.5 Community Edition at all (too busy), but I'll keep an eye on Open webOS when it comes out.
    Last edited by everythingsablur; 07/14/2012 at 06:42 PM.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    dignitary likes this.