Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    My TouchPad's battery, while running one of the CM9 alphas, ran all the way to 0%. I was unable to revive it. I tried all of the methods I could find, (button combos, different chargers, cellphone charger, plugging into computer, touchstone, reseting charger, etc...) but I could not get it to come back on. The TouchPad was dead. No lights, nothing. The only sign that its still a little bit alive is that when it's plugged into the charger the back case gets slightly warm.

Eventually I broke down and called HP support. The TouchPad was under warranty so they offered to fix it for free. Unfortunately, my TouchPad was returned to me unrepaired with a letter that said that HP could not repair it. I contacted support and was told that the TouchPad's warranty had been voided because it had "been opened and the glass screen had been removed". I didn't open it, but I did buy the TouchPad off of eBay and there are small marks that suggest that the screen may have been removed by the previous owner. HP offered to repair it for the low price of $225.

So here I am with a dead TouchPad. From what I can gather, at this point my only viable option is to replace the battery myself. Has anyone had any experience with reviving a dead TouchPad by replacing the battery? I've looked over the iFixit guide and it does not seem overly complicated.
    You might want to get in touch with TopTongueBarry, here in the forums. I believe he was repairing TouchPads.

(from http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ace-glass.html)

Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Dead TP's are starting to show up on eBay. I've got two on the way, one is a TP 4G the WiFi stopped working on and the other is a TP WiFi, same problem.

I also had a TP 4G that was driven over with a car. Successfully took the LCD out of a firesale TP 16GB WiFi and was able to repair it.

Don't give up hope. If you do, then I'll buy your brothers TP from him so it won't be a complete loss.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    So I went through with the battery replacement. When I opened it up I found that the battery had already been replaced once. The battery in the TouchPad had a note written on it with the date of the battery replacement (March 2012). I went ahead and installed a new battery from eBay.

Unfortunately, my trusty TouchPad is still dead. The new battery, like the old one, gets warm after the TouchPad has been plugged in for several minutes, but there are no other signs of life.

Any suggestions for where to go from here?
    Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts
    You might be SOL if it wasn't a battery issue then it's something else that's probably not in your realm of expertise. If you're really want to stay with a touch pad then pay the fee that they want to change you. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    HP Touchpad
    You might be SOL if it wasn't a battery issue then it's something else that's probably not in your realm of expertise. If you're really want to stay with a touch pad then pay the fee that they want to change you. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Paying $225 to repair wouldn't make much sense when $50 more will get you a new one on Amazon.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Have you installed the Novacom drivers and are running a Windows machine?

If so, plug in the TP to an USB port while your computer is on. Check the device manager and see if it detected a Novacom device. When my TP had trouble booting, it would still get recognized in Windows. If you see it in the device manager, then the tablet is still alive.

Also, since you already opened it, check to make sure that the LCD cable is plugged in tightly. Remove it and place it back in if necessary. Maybe it's not the battery, but the screen.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I'm on a Mac, but the Novacom drivers are installed. The computer is not recognizing the TouchPad.

I double checked the LCD cable, and it is in tight. I don't think that is the issue because the home button light will not flash either.

I don't want to pay $225 to repair it when I only spent $200 on it on eBay in the first place. It seems my best option at this point may be just to sell it on eBay broken for parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajroder View Post
    I'm on a Mac, but the Novacom drivers are installed. The computer is not recognizing the TouchPad.

I double checked the LCD cable, and it is in tight. I don't think that is the issue because the home button light will not flash either.

I don't want to pay $225 to repair it when I only spent $200 on it on eBay in the first place. It seems my best option at this point may be just to sell it on eBay broken for parts.
    Approx how much would a broken/for parts Touchpad fetch on ebay?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Looks like between $50 and $80.
    Its very say to what happen to your TouchPad, however you shouldn't feel sad about it. You could go ahead save some money to buy yourself an even better tablet(hardware wise, that is). There are some nice alternative than cost no more than 300 dollars around in the internet, of course don't try to expect for those tablet to run WebOS, they only on run the Android operating system. I know its not as classy or multitask anything compared to WebOS, but they do have better hardware and its built quality(superior) while it seems to last much more than HP cheap TouchPad.

Good luck....there
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Its very say to what happen to your TouchPad, however you shouldn't feel sad about it. You could go ahead save some money to buy yourself an even better tablet(hardware wise, that is). There are some nice alternative than cost no more than 300 dollars around in the internet, of course don't try to expect for those tablet to run WebOS, they only on run the Android operating system. I know its not as classy or multitask anything compared to WebOS, but they do have better hardware and its built quality(superior) while it seems to last much more than HP cheap TouchPad.

Good luck....there
    Yeah, I'm definitely disappointed to see my TouchPad go. It's a shame WebOS hasn't taken off. Such a brilliant operating system.

On the other hand, that new Nexus 7 is awfully tempting. I might have to grab one of those to hold me over until HP gets their act together and gives us a quality Open WebOS tablet...
    Last edited by ajroder; 08/08/2012 at 09:42 PM.