1.    #1  
    I just bought a secondhand Touchpad to have a play with. It arrived yesterday and when I touched the power button it displayed a blue screen with a choice of languages on. I got distracted by something else and forgot all about it. Went to set it up this morning and the battery had gone flat. So, I've charged it up for a few hours and am trying to set it up again from scratch. However, the Touchpad doesn't seem to want to boot up. It's currently sat with a pulsing HP logo in the centre of a black screen and has been there for about 45 minutes with no sign of anything happening.

Emailed the guy I bought it from and he said it was fine on Monday when he did a factory reset using webOS Doctor. And having seen the language selection screen, I'm inclined to believe him. Am I doing something wrong here? Is there something I can try to breathe some life back into it?
    You can always webOS Doctor it again Link for the 3.0.5 version can easily be found at Google (search for webOS Doctor Touchpad).

Shut down by holding power (and home when required) for 15 or so seconds.

Then power on while holding volume up button until you see USB icon on screen. Then start the Doctor and follow the instructions

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
  3.    #3  
    Cheers. Made some progress.

Tried the reboot with the power and home button pressed. But I'm not sure whether it even rebooted. The screen looked like it reset itself but the HP logo re-appeared instantly. So tried it with the power, volume up and home button depressed and sure enough, after 15 seconds it restarted with the USB symbol.

Hooked up to it with webOS Doctor okay but that seems to have ground to a stop at 12% on the progress bar. It's been there for about 30 minutes so far but going by the warnings on the screen, it doesn't look like something I can stop or disconnect from.

Which is going to give out first, the Doctor reset or the battery in the Touchpad?
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I hope you get things fixed.

I don't know if this will help you, I've never had the issue myself, but I recalled seeing this thread and thought I'd pass it along:

WebOS Doctor - 12% Issue - Fixed!!!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  5.    #5  
    And the survey says......the battery died before it moved on from 12%.

Currently charging it again and hoping it hasn't done anything terminal to the Touchpad.

Thanks for that link to the 12% problem. Hopefully, that will help a bit.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I hope your tenure here lasts beyond "seriously puzzled", good luck!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  7.    #7  
    Seriously considering messaging Admin for a name change to gettingdepressednow.
    Last edited by seriouslypuzzled; 07/12/2012 at 04:28 PM.
    It is advisable to wait until you have at least 50% charge, before attempting to use the Doctor. I think I would just leave it plugged into the wall charger overnight, and try again tomorrow night.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  9.    #9  
    Didn't seem to want to charge further than the low 20% area, no matter how long it was plugged in.

But, thanks for all of the advice. With a couple of attempts at some random dosfsck'ing via novaterm, I seem to have successfully Doctored the Touchpad with 3.0.5 and managed to get it to boot. Happily it's now >40% on the charging front.

Now to decide whether to risk a dual boot setup.......
    Note that first-time setup on the TP is really really slow. It probably sets up /var, /media/cryptofs, /var/log, and numerous other file systems, populate them with content, and then run the firstuse app.

For future reference: diagnostics are available from the language select page by swiping down from the top left corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by seriouslypuzzled View Post
    Didn't seem to want to charge further than the low 20% area, no matter how long it was plugged in.
    Was it at 20% after the doctoring?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by seriouslypuzzled View Post

But, thanks for all of the advice. With a couple of attempts at some random dosfsck'ing via novaterm, I seem to have successfully Doctored the Touchpad with 3.0.5 and managed to get it to boot. Happily it's now >40% on the charging front.

Now to decide whether to risk a dual boot setup.......
    Sadly yes, dual boot. I prefer the webOS feel and look, but Chrome browser on android is just so much better. It has pretty much everything the desktop chrome has, and can even sync books marks and history if you sign into gmail.

There are also all the must have apps for the kids. You know, all the ones their friends are playing on their parents ipads that were never ported to webOS, but do find their way onto android. I was actually annoyed at all the apps. Every time you look for something, its an hour long search to read descriptions and reviews. I now just pick one at random. More apps than what webOS has is nice, but an avalanche of junk is no better than the shareware days of my childhood.

Just know that it eats the battery in sleep mode. I had the battery-is-so-dead-it-wont-boot issue also. Luckily, the charger reset worked for me. Mic works 80% using the most recent nightly build, but camera still doesn't, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

on a tangent, what the **** is a charger reset? Who designs hardware that needs a partial charge in order to charge normally? Who designs a "charger reset" as a fix, and doesn't tell tech support until 6 months after product launch? That is the design from the #1 PC maker? I hope they don't design any life support systems or engine parts. Or anything else I will ever use for the rest of my life.