1.    #1  
    Hi forum

I've noticed that some Linux apps have started to appear within the app catalog - e.g. Tux racer, GLTron etc - does this mean there's a cross compilation possibility (after all, these are fairly complex apps) - and if that's the case, anyone care to comment on the possibility of getting other browsers across - e.g. firefox?

I know I've seen videos of very fast browser support using the native browser, but it's unknown at this point what patches have been used.... given that Android firefox browser is much faster than the stock webos browser, I would have thought it'd be a useful conversion if cross compilation is possible....

Cheers

Carl.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlbeech View Post
    Hi forum

I've noticed that some Linux apps have started to appear within the app catalog - e.g. Tux racer, GLTron etc - does this mean there's a cross compilation possibility (after all, these are fairly complex apps)
    WebOS is linux with it's own GUI ( not X ), so any app that is compiled for a linux machine with arm ( v7 ) cpu, can run on it. ( you might have to install additional libs for some )
    However GUI programs must use SDL to be displayed on the device, and most of the linux applications that are not games use X11 instead.So don't expect any app that uses X11 to be ported for WebOS soon.
    There's also an X server that runs as a card on WebOS devices, the app is called Xecutah ( Application:Xecutah - WebOS Internals ) and is available in preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlbeech View Post
    - and if that's the case, anyone care to comment on the possibility of getting other browsers across - e.g. firefox?
    Here's a step by step on how to do it :
    Common steps:
    1) install preware
    2) install Xecutah
    Easy way:
    3) find and install debian or ubuntu chroot in preware
    4) run Xecutah and start the distro you installed
    5) if the browser you want is not already installed, install it in the chroot enviorment
    Harder way:
    3) find the browser compiled for arm ( v7 )
    4) put it somewhere in /media/cryptofs
    5) run Xecutah and start Xterm
    6) start the browser from Xterm

also see this topic : XApps Chromium - Thanks!
    Should work for anything else as well.
    Last edited by Zer0C001; 07/06/2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: noticed an older topic while searching for something else
  3.    #3  
    Hi
    Thanks for the info - I've already got xecutah up and running - trouble is, having only got a 16Gb TP, and already installed Android, I can't sacrifice another 2Gb to install chroot...
    I guess I was thinking along the lines - if they've created other 'normal' webos executables running within the normal space, then you could attempt other programs... - given that one of the main problems we face is software availability, then a source of 'native' apps would be very useful....

Cheers

Carl.
    If the app in question uses OpenGL, then those calls to OpenGL will need to be at least partially rewritten to work with OpenGL ES. (I was thinking of porting Aquaria, but there's a whole bunch of regular OpenGL calls in one of the libraries, and I'm a 3D noob. It compiles fine with the regular GL headers, but won't run, but at least the engine attempts to start and generates a log file.)

Maybe Chrome is a better browser for porting. There's an Android and iOS version, and I heard apps from iOS to webOS only takes a few hours to port from pure C++. So that means if someone tried, there could be a port done in a week. (But I don't know how complex Chrome is, so don't quote me on that.)
    The only alternative browser I would be happy to have on webOS is Opera Mobile.