Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By John Steffes
  • 1 Post By MikeN68
  1.    #1  
    I did a cursory search and other than a paid app from 3 years ago i could not find anything.

    Is there, or is there not an app that allows you to run the old PalmOS programs that you might have lingering around still?

    Thanks.
  2. #2  
    Not any longer unfortunately. The palm classic app was pulled from the catalog a while back. MotionApps discontinued support for the app and handed everything over to Palm on 10/1/11 to do with as they wished. It ended there.

    MotionApps - Palm Classic
  3.    #3  
    Crap. Thanks
  4. #4  
    On a slightly unrelated note, there's a PalmOS emulator for Windows Mobile and iOS named StyleTap.

    Just throwing that out there.

    Also, Classic was the only webOS one.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by furball zen View Post
    I did a cursory search and other than a paid app from 3 years ago i could not find anything.

    Is there, or is there not an app that allows you to run the old PalmOS programs that you might have lingering around still?

    Thanks.
    There is an entire thread on Classic, how to get it, the classic app (on the touchpad - apptuckerbox), the classic binary bits from webOS 2.0.1 and classic Rom from webOS 1.4.5.1. Even meta doctor script to get it were created.

    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...2-0-above.html

    Script getclassic.zip located here: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3198288

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Not any longer unfortunately. The palm classic app was pulled from the catalog a while back. MotionApps discontinued support for the app and handed everything over to Palm on 10/1/11 to do with as they wished. It ended there.

    MotionApps - Palm Classic
    App was not pulled just not available to the Touchpad, app is Available for: Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, HP Veer, Palm Pre2, HP Pre3

    https://developer.palm.com/appredire...ps.app.classic

    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    On a slightly unrelated note, there's a PalmOS emulator for Windows Mobile and iOS named StyleTap.

    Just throwing that out there.

    Also, Classic was the only webOS one.
    I have it working on PixiPlus, PrePlus, Pre2, Veer and Touchpad. Also on my Pre3 but I re-wrote the classic app from Mojo to Enyo, the original app does not scale to the new resolution, not sure if I can ever release it. Basically I reversed engineered how the touchpad force old Mojo apps into a Pre/Pre2 screen so the screen is still 320/320, just in a nice window.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/14/2012 at 10:02 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    On a slightly unrelated note, there's a PalmOS emulator for Windows Mobile and iOS named StyleTap.

    Just throwing that out there.

    Also, Classic was the only webOS one.
    Interesting since i still use a Touch Pro for my phone

    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    There is an entire thread on Classic, how to get it, the classic app (on the touchpad - apptuckerbox), the classic binary bits from webOS 2.0.1 and classic Rom from webOS 1.4.5.1. Even meta doctor script to get it were created.

    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...2-0-above.html



    App was not pulled just not available to the Touchpad, app is Available for: Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, HP Veer, Palm Pre2, HP Pre3

    https://developer.palm.com/appredire...ps.app.classic



    I have it working on PixiPlus, PrePlus, Pre2, Veer and Touchpad. Also on my Pre3 but I re-wrote the classic app from Mojo to Enyo, the original app does not scale to the new resolution, not sure if I can ever release it. Basically I reversed engineered how the touchpad force old Mojo apps into a Pre/Pre2 screen so the screen is still 320/320, just in a nice window.
    So... i have to go through ALL that to get it to work? Well... not sure....
  7. MikeN68's Avatar
    Posts
    332 Posts
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    #7  
    John, you mention that you have classic running on your Pre3, albeit at a low res. Is it actually useable? Even if it is not pretty I am sure many old Palm users would love to give it a go - I know I would! Perhaps release it in the alpha feeds?

    Thanks . . . . .
    cujoq37 likes this.
  8. #8  
    Yeah, Classic from MotionApps is avaiable for Pre 3 but when launched it only gives a red/white screen and nothing else.
  9. #9  
    So John,

    Does that mean that Classic can be run on webOS 2.x phones without being signed/activated by Motion?

    I asked about this in the other thread and was told that it only worked for those who had already gotten an activation code from Motion in the past...

    I'd love to run garnet apps on my Pre 2 is that's still possible...
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDeeTee View Post
    So John,

    Does that mean that Classic can be run on webOS 2.x phones without being signed/activated by Motion?

    I asked about this in the other thread and was told that it only worked for those who had already gotten an activation code from Motion in the past...

    I'd love to run garnet apps on my Pre 2 is that's still possible...
    I can not say, that activation code is not needed. I bought a key on all of my devices that were active before motion apps quit.

    So I used Save/Restore to back up my keys (created a script for that posted in that thread but it has not been included in preware yet), so I have three keys which I use on my devices, I play the game each key is only used once at a given time. As I modified the existing code from Mojo to Enyo, it still looks for the key. But it does not have to.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Yeah, Classic from MotionApps is avaiable for Pre 3 but when launched it only gives a red/white screen and nothing else.
    The reason it does nothing is the modules (binary bits and Rom) are not in webOS 2.1.0 or greater (really the Rom is also missing in webOS 2.0.1), and even if you had those on a Pre3, the normal Mojo app will try to scale up 1.5. Which will not work, it must stay to a 1.0 (320x320) mode. So the Enyo code wraps the screen like the touchpad does giving a pre/pre2 resolution not scaled but exact.
  12. MikeN68's Avatar
    Posts
    332 Posts
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    #12  
    John, above you mention the Pre3 not having the binary bits and rom, but clearly it is more than this as shown by Arthur Throrntons method of extracting the 'guts' from 1.4.5 and 2.0.1. I do appreciate the screen issue too but I don't understand how my TP can run it (windowed) but my Pre3 cannot.

    I have no programming knowledge but am willing to 'play' to get things working. As you have this running on your Pre3 can you post a screen shot or 2 for us to drawl over?

    Thanks
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    John, above you mention the Pre3 not having the binary bits and rom, but clearly it is more than this as shown by Arthur Throrntons method of extracting the 'guts' from 1.4.5 and 2.0.1. I do appreciate the screen issue too but I don't understand how my TP can run it (windowed) but my Pre3 cannot.

    I have no programming knowledge but am willing to 'play' to get things working. As you have this running on your Pre3 can you post a screen shot or 2 for us to drawl over?

    Thanks
    Not sure if you understand, there are two modules for Classic, com.motionapps.service.classic which is from the Pre2 build 2.0.1, and com.motionapps.rom.classic from preplus build 1.4.5.x. Now if you were to use Rod's meta doctor Make file with the getclassic.zip scripts (included in the classic thread). It will pull all of this down and package it into a tar. Then you need the app from the AppCatalog then a key. Once all those are applied Classic works on all devices (Pre/PrePlus. Pixi/PixiPlus, Pre2, Veer, and touchpad) except the Pre3. The reason is the App is missing the screen definitions, so by default the Pre3 will scale 1.5, which launches classic but in a white screen. If you force 1.0 it also throws the app, because it tries to display 320x480 on a 480x800 screen.

    So I re-wrote the app in Enyo forcing a fixed window of 320x480 (what the touchpad does) in a box. The rest of the screen is 160x320, of which is black and has no functionality. So I split that 80x160 so the Classic sits in the middle. I will try a screen shot later, on my phone (PrePlus) at the moment.
  14. MikeN68's Avatar
    Posts
    332 Posts
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    #14  
    John, Yes - all understood.

    Classic is working well on my TP and like most other users their Pre3 is sitting with a rubbish white (black) screen. All the 'hacks' suggested have been done, but you appear to be the only Pre3 user with a working version of Classic.

    I know you said you didn't want to release it, but so many of us would be grateful for an 'as is' version with no support etc (unless you wanted to...)
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    John, Yes - all understood.

    Classic is working well on my TP and like most other users their Pre3 is sitting with a rubbish white (black) screen. All the 'hacks' suggested have been done, but you appear to be the only Pre3 user with a working version of Classic.

    I know you said you didn't want to release it, but so many of us would be grateful for an 'as is' version with no support etc (unless you wanted to...)
    The issue is copyrighted code and how to, first I started with MotionApps code, wrapped it around Enyo, and modified it to transform it from Mojo to Enyo. But there code is still embedded, I do not have the rights (permission) to release their code. Second how would I release it, I will look into patching their app? But I don't think I can just release an ipk, also as it requires a key from motionapps how would others use the tool. I would not charge for it, but publishing others code with out their permission would be bad. If motionapps would have release it to open-source (or as they already released it to Palm), maybe HP/Palm can release it to open source?
  16. MikeN68's Avatar
    Posts
    332 Posts
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    #16  
    John,

    Thanks. Concise and informative. We're pretty much dead in the water until HP/Palm release it then. :-(
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    John,

    Thanks. Concise and informative. We're pretty much dead in the water until HP/Palm release it then. :-(
    I have not had the time, but I was going to look into creating a patch that would transform their app, into mine. As I started with their code it might work. So my plan is someone uses the App Catalog download their app, then use a patch file to add my code/remove their code. Not sure when I will get to it, but will try. As with all the other scripts/patches I have created it will take me sometime to build it and test it. I do not like releasing things until it works right.
  18. MikeN68's Avatar
    Posts
    332 Posts
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    #18  
    John,

    Sounds like a promising (long road) ahead. If you were after feedback, you could just release to the Alpha feed and add a feedback/bugs button?

    Then I guess you'd get lots of info and not have enough time to deal with it all. Then everyone would get pi**ed about the lack of development!

    2nd thoughts, take your time, make sure it works and then when you're happy release what you can.

    Good luck :-)

Posting Permissions