Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By BoldPreza
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Not sure if this is true or not, but: HP said to dump Microsoft over Surface | SemiAccurate

If HP does drop windows, would they go with Android, or have another go at webOS...or both?
    HP should have never went with Windows Mobile in the first place. WebOS was/is better. HP should have stuck to their guns on WebOS instead of accepting scraps from Microsoft. Even with over 10000 apps, no one is exactly beating down the door to buy a Windows Mobile/Phone/whatever they want to rename it product.

HP shouldn't go the Android route either. Samsung has that sewn up on the high end with Amazon on the low end. It's a low margin market anyway, just like Windows. Besides at one point the TouchPad with webOS was beating Android in mindshare. That is until HP decided to ruin it all by chasing the Autonomy pipe dream.

Thank God they opened sourced webOS so the community can help them to fix their bone headed mistakes. The discoveries the community is making in just the first week on CE seem to breath more life into an OS that HP nearly let die with neglect.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    HP will be making Windows tablets but not the RT version. That'll change soon because I'm guessing that HP is already sick of all the tablets being sold and they have nothing to offer. There's probably a zero chance of them going to Android. The Nexus 7 pretty much knocks out any other player for awhile in the 7" category but I really see Windows doing well in a tablet.
    they would defianently go with webOS if they do drop the support. They might even have a go with the TouchPad GO. *Everything crossed*
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    HP will depend on microsoft and intel to do the heavy lifting as usual. Nothing new here still a bottom feeder.
    Could be a good reason for them to focus back on WebOS. Its technically still sitting there just lying in wait and there are clearly users just waiting for a product from them.

If they really wanted to do it right though they would make WebOS not only tablet and phone but PC as well and with it open source bring in as many companies as possible. That integration, only Apple and Windows has right now and could be a great way for HP to align themself ahead of RIM and take a serious bite from Android.
    RumoredNow, cujoq37 and boovish like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by boldpreza View Post
    Could be a good reason for them to focus back on WebOS. Its technically still sitting there just lying in wait and there are clearly users just waiting for a product from them.

If they really wanted to do it right though they would make WebOS not only tablet and phone but PC as well and with it open source bring in as many companies as possible. That integration, only Apple and Windows has right now and could be a great way for HP to align themself ahead of RIM and take a serious bite from Android.
    Lets just hope they don't make ugly phones I'm looking at you samsung and HTC. They should make a template of how it should kind of look like.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Lets just hope they don't make ugly phones I'm looking at you samsung and HTC. They should make a template of how it should kind of look like.
    I actually really like the old pebble/stone look of the Pre line. But they needed to offer it in a range of colours with maybe a bit more brightwork.

I don't understand how the reviewers on Youtube can say it was boring and then turn around and look at something like a Samsung Galaxy and make it sound like the best thing since sliced bread.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boldpreza View Post
    I don't understand how the reviewers on Youtube can say it was boring and then turn around and look at something like a Samsung Galaxy and make it sound like the best thing since sliced bread.
    Beautiful screen and the ergonomics of the Galaxy S3 are very nice, compared to the squared off phones.
    HP is late. They were "just" late when they started with the Touchpad and they are "very" late now.
    The market is devided mainly between Android and iOS. And on the Android sector, Samsung is the big fish.

HP knows, that it needs to enter the mobility sector with a tablet, as all signs point away from conventional PC home systems for a while now. They just don't seem to have a clue HOW to do it RIGHT.

While they were on the right track with the Touchpad and Pre line at that time, it was obnoxious to think that you could sell a Touchpad at the same price as an iPad. Greed broke their necks and then Leo panicked and tried to bail out.

A third player is direly needed in the mobile OS business, to give the customers more choice and put more pressure on the pricetags of the established players. But at the moment, (and it pains me to say so) the third OS will rather be Tizen or even FirefoxOS then openWebOS.
    The reason for that is, that Tizen and FirefoxOS have done their homework, have partners, marketing/distribution plans etc. WebOS has none of that due to the neglect of HP.

To put WebOS back in the picture it needs major action in all the marketing sectors which are:
    1) Product
    HP needs partners or produce Hardware itself. OpenWebOS Community needs to be supported strongly and advertized to get developers back into the game (atm the developers rather go away from openWebOS to other platforms). It means infrastructure, it means events, it means a whole lot of work
    2) Distibution
    HP needs to find partners who want to sell the devices. To make i.e. a provider like O2 sell this device, you must make it really "juicy" for him (or it will end up on the most backwards shelve like with Vodaphone Germany, where I found my first Pre+ merely by accident - in a drawer behind the counter). This might mean biting the sour apple and locking the phone for the provider. Not good for us (we want to have an unlocked phone) but good for the provider who will need to marekt and sell the phone more then the competitors' and needs motivation to do so. And the motivation will be in pure numbers as well, so if the profit margin is higher for the provider, he will more likely concentrate more on this device than any other.
    Which brings us to the next point
    3) Pricing
    Face it, HP, you are not the number one, like with laptops and printers. In the tablet and smartphone business you are a small light. And with WebOS you are starting the operation in a niche. So act like it and price the phone reasonably. You are not Apple. There is no hype for a HP-smartphone/tablet yet. But you can generate it if you calculate very hard and limit you profit margins in the beginning to something that hurts. Once your first generation devices are introduces and have fought for a share of the cake, you can rev up a bit.
    4) Marketing
    Look how the winners do it. Atm the TV, mags and internet are FLOODED with the Samsung Galaxy S3. The customer awareness is really high. If you ask people to name an Android Smartphone, the S3 will very likely be named first and most people probably won't be able to name more than two or three devices.
    Get WebOS back into the heads of people. Atm, people don't know anything about it and the few that do are either fans or just remember your failure with it. Wipe the slate clean and hammer the OS into the heads of people. To do this, you must have a competitive device for a competitive pricing with a competitive mobile provider plan, THEN you can rev up the marketing machine.

All these things are clear. They are easy. They are common sence and knowledge. There is no mystery, no quantum physics or complicated brain surgery involved.
    And that's where I am confounded: HOW can a company like HP get all these things so wrong as they did?

Another tip: if you decide to market a region, REALLY do it. Don't leave out halve europe. Don't leave out 3rd world countries. Heck, that is where I would start!! These acres are widely unworked yet.
    Start with a very cheap third world smartphone and tablet i.e. for Africa. Roll up the field from behind. Bring your tech there and let it swash over to Europe and US from there. You can always build better but more expensive devices once you have a holding on the market.

Ok, ok ... I stop now. It's TL;DR anyway...

Sorry for the length. It's just my 2 cents and some ideas on the matter. I am by far no expert, but I know the market for some time now and I think I have some common sense.
    Might be I am wrong with the above, but that is my opinion and everyone is welcome to carve their own.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Yeah, Tizen has partners until they bail out again. But clearly you didn't do your homework either. Haven't you seen what happened to the predecessors of Tizen? Maemo and MeeGo? You now blame HP for bailing webOS but Intel and Nokia have also neglected their previous platforms and while Tizen is partners with Samsung, the devs are still the same old devs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    ... But clearly you didn't do your homework either....
    Just step back, take a deep breath and calm down. No one has tried to harm you, so there is no reason to jump at someone's face.

Concerning Tizen: Intel is actually the main driver behind that wheel. Samsung (and others) just jumped onto that wagon and bring their own goodies with em (Bada for examle) to be integrated.
    And yes, THEN you have the combined effort of many companies, bringing their developments into one mold.
    And yes, those companies, especially Samsung actually produce sucessful products Smartphone and Tablet wise.
    And yes, they have infrastructure and partners at their disposure
    And yes, they have access to a huge marketing machine (even if, in the case of Samsung, they only use it to place their Android devices at the moment).

I could continue, but I am sure, you catch the difference to HP and their WebOS efforts...

ps: if you put the fact into the equasion, that Tizen is but a fallback scenario for a company like Samsung and still might be more sucessful than WebOS in the short to mid-term run, then you get an even more bitter taste about this...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...