Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Currently, I use my TP for everything. My laptop died two weeks after I got my TP. I have native Ubuntu install for the few things I can't do natively on the TP like the minor graphics stuff I do.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I use my touchpad primarily for web browsing but I took it to school with the bt keyboard to take notes and that worked really really well. I wrote some documents on it but not many. But I'm curious as to why people think smart office is so much better than quick office. I have both and its a toss up for me. I like the clean interface of quick office better but smart office has a bit more features.
    I take it with me whenever I travel in the US or abroad, even overnights at the beach. It's easy to pack, does almost everything I need, good maps and directions, web browsing is OK (but could certainly use improvement), access to crackle and other movie sites is handy, and works well for reading books when flying. It's like an electronic Swiss Army knife.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    For the last 6 months it had primarily served duty as a clock, albeit a nice one....It might have been unfair, but compared to my Ipad, the lack of apps, games, support, etc was simply disappointing and I soon lost interest in it.... Finally I broke down and installed CM9 on it and now I use it probably as much as my Ipad, for web browsing, games, video streaming(Netfilx, etc) ebooks, and entertaining the kids, etc.. The only thing that really does not work still with CM9 is the camera, the mic now works. I don't update the nightly builds regularly though, but can't see myself going back to WebOS unless the CE makes it worthwhile eventually.... I only wish I had gone CM9 sooner, because now Its only a clock when its charging on its touchstone..
    Last edited by oldskoolluva; 07/08/2012 at 04:19 PM.
    My #1 use for it is my daily Bible reading (I listen to Alexander Scourby read it in Music Player (Remix) as I follow along in BibleZ HD Pro--so helpful) and I bring it to Bible Study--soooo much faster than flipping pages.

Also, Comics HD, weather and Facebook if I can't get on the laptop atm.

...and another favorite: I use it as a big screen for What's For Dinner? when I'm cooking.

My Pre Plus is my workhorse, but the TP gives me a big screen when I need it. It also replaces the laptop when we travel--which is extremely nice.
  6.    #46  
    wooo the devirsity is awesome hah, I just finished installing a nightly on it for fun on CM9 and im using both O.S's the same hah
  7.    #47  
    also with Ubuntu, its really more or less a godsend tablet haha
    I use mine primarily for exercise. i put on some kettle-bell exercise videos and use it daily in my back garden. No gym fees and it has changed me from lazy ***, soft bellied coach potato to literally a new health(ier) active person.

I also use pre 3 to jog most days also, both devices have really changed me and my weight and health is saying thank you to hp for firesale equipment i otherwise would not have purchased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    Currently, I use my TP for everything. My laptop died two weeks after I got my TP. I have native Ubuntu install for the few things I can't do natively on the TP like the minor graphics stuff I do.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Are you running 11.04 or 12.04? Also do you have sound? I was running native Ubuntu but without sound and Flash support it was kind of useless to me. I now run Ubuntu chroot in a card. The chroot has sound and Flash support.

To answer the OP's question I use my for web browsing, email, viewing PDFs for work, listening to music (a lot) (streaming and native), watching streaming movies from my home server, goofing around in the forums, playing games, reading books, and looking up recipes to cook (my daughter). I pretty much do it all on webOS and use Ubuntu when something doesn't work right. I enjoy using it more than my laptop, strictly because webOS is easier to use than Windows. When Open WebOS gets released, I might invest in a touch screen monitor and install it on my desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    My Pre Plus is my workhorse, but the TP gives me a big screen when I need it. It also replaces the laptop when we travel--which is extremely nice.
    I switched back to the Pre and I use it a lot more than the TouchPad lately while I'm out. However, when I'm in the house on reliable wifi, I'm back on the TouchPad because of the bigger screen.
  11.    #51  
    I use the Pre 2 as mine and I Tri-boot my machine and it is amazing. Of course, my biggest use is for school with writing papers.
    i use it for browsing and a lot of comic book reading. occasional gaming here and there.
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    Work - I can connect to my corp VPN for sharepoint and intranet tools. If someone got Office communicator working on it, I could use it in place of my laptop most days.
    How have you gotten sharepoint to work? I too have access to my work via VPN but the only way I'm getting Sharepoint to display properly is if I'm using Remote Desktop Connection to actually remote in to a PC at work.

My family uses the Touchpad daily!
    * I use Splashtop streamer to control my laptop/HTPC and from there VPN into work, if I want to check on something quick.
    * Zite makes a nice Flipboard replacement.
    * web.tweetdeck.com works pretty darn good in the browser in place of a Twitter app
    * Google Reader iPhone interface (http://www.google.com/reader/i/) is wonderful in the browser and works well in place of a RSS reader app
    * Daughter loves playing Plasma Cannon (thanks App Tuckerbox!), Doodle Fit, Jungle Jewels, Puzzle Master, and a handful of others that keep her busy. Of course streaming My Little Pony on Youtube is her favorite.

This past week I've spent more time in webOS and I really do think it's a FAR better experience than the latest CM9 nightly HOWEVER there are still a couple things that bug me:
    * Browser webkit is just not fast enough. Compare to Browser in CM9. Scrolling/zooming behavior in webOS is still the best though.
    * Audio distortion bug still happens once a day at least in webOS. Seems more stable in CM9 actually
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  14.    #54  
    My touchpad has reached a point that it's a complete expiernece that I use alongside my netbook running Ubuntu. And I'm completely content with it. I will not though do anything to modify my White Touchpad, because I feel I should keep at least one pure WebOS tablet, even though for spec reasons it should my work horse instead of 16GB model.
    Between my TouchPad and my Pre2, i'm in webos constantly. Wish it were on my PC. I carry my tablet everywhere with me. My only issue is that I often forget to bring the keypad. I wish I had a neat cover that held the keypad.

I use the TouchPad for:

• Major browsing
    • Article and fiction writing via SmartOffice (save to Dropbox & GoogleDocs)
    • Reading email from five different accounts
    • Sits on the dock on my desk all day as clock and picture viewer
    • Music player
    • Facebook app and Twitter (Spaz)
    • News reader
    • Magazine reader - Zinio
    • Some games, but not as often as my husband on his TouchPad
    • Skype'ing my daughter in Seattle
    • Book reading on Kindle (even though I have a kindle)
    • Viewing larger maps than on my phone
    • Making reservations on Open Table
    • Time management using Pomodoro timer
    • Note taking at conferences
    • Watching TED videos offline
    • Recipe writing and researching on the web
    • Blog updating

Kind of like that hot sauce commercial - I use that ****** for everything!

I'm not so in to 'apps'. I prefer web apps. I rarely use half the apps I've installed. I don't want to be tied to a particular system - Android or Apple - I just want a good web appliance. This is my major browsing appliance at home - my hd died on my desk top and my lap is a pain to wait to boot up, then open the apps. With my tablet, it's turn on and type.

The only caveat is I wish I could annotate Adobe Acrobat pdf's and have a small version of PhotoShop, then it would replace my laptop for most uses.

I could use a faster browser, but I've been lazy and haven't installed any webos internals or Ubuntu or CM9. I use it so much, I'd be bummed if I screwed it up in anyway so I've been timid about updating/upgrading.

I love my TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
    I use my TouchPad as a solid communications device with Synergy essentially being a massive I.M, and Email communications hub. I also blog on my Touchpad, using Wordpress and I edit Doc's on the device via Smart Office which makes it an excellent editor. So I was curious, what do you use your Touchpad for?
    I use it to:

1. keep aging parents medical documents and/or taking notes at doctor appts.
    2. keep all appointments in nifty calendar
    3. read kindle books
    4. read occasional graphic novel
    5. view movies, documentaries while exercising
    6. elicit gasps of wonderment from my tablet bearing significant other because I can connect to her HP
    wireless printer without a problem while her Thrive refuses, again, to even acknowledge its existence.
    6. remind me that I really don't need an ipad or android tablet.

My clunky ***, non-overclocked, relatively untweaked Touchpad with it's late-but-still-very-great webOs is pretty much all most people would need. Too bad it wasn't priced right nor marketed correctly at it's birth.
  17.    #57  
    The TouchPad has been without a doubt one of the best Tablets I have ever used (So much I invested heavily in the ecosystem ;-) ) and even unmodified its still a great device with many uses both on and off the Tablet. I personally love CM10 so far even if its very glitchy, and it is very unstable at times. Overall, the Touchpad has completely paid for it's self. Its so great you can run Android on it which extends the tablet further into a whole other ecosystem to play around in and bask in. I would argue that the TouchPad with WebOS, CM9, and Arch, may very well be one of the most complete tablet packages anyone could ask for and for the price it is an unmatched beast.
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    Between my TouchPad and my Pre2, i'm in webos constantly. Wish it were on my PC. I carry my tablet [I]everywhere with me. My only issue is that I often forget to bring the keypad. I wish I had a neat cover that held the keypad.

I use the TouchPad for:

[LIST]• Major browsing• Article and fiction writing via SmartOffice (save to Dropbox & GoogleDocs)• Reading email from five different accounts• Sits on the dock on my desk all day as clock and picture viewer• Music player• Facebook app and Twitter (Spaz)• News reader• Magazine reader - Zinio• Some games, but not as often as my husband on his TouchPad• Skype'ing my daughter in Seattle• Book reading on Kindle (even though I have a kindle)• Viewing larger maps than on my phone• Making reservations on Open Table• Time management using Pomodoro timer• Note taking at conferences• Watching TED videos offline• Recipe writing and researching on the web• Blog updating

Kind of like that hot sauce commercial - I use that ****** for everything!

I'm not so in to 'apps'. I prefer web apps. I rarely use half the apps I've installed. I don't want to be tied to a particular system - Android or Apple - I just want a good web appliance. This is my major browsing appliance at home - my hd died on my desk top and my lap is a pain to wait to boot up, then open the apps. With my tablet, it's turn on and type.

The only caveat is I wish I could annotate Adobe Acrobat pdf's and have a small version of PhotoShop, then it would replace my laptop for most uses.

I could use a faster browser, but I've been lazy and haven't installed any webos internals or Ubuntu or CM9. I use it so much, I'd be bummed if I screwed it up in anyway so I've been timid about updating/upgrading.

[I]I love my TouchPad.
    There is a pdf annotator in early alpha and photo effetcs tablet edition gives some basic photo editing on the touchpad. Photo efetcs is in the app catalogue and search these forms for the pdf markup app (and also look ou for the feature to come in a future version on on Tap )
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    I often say that my TP is the best $100 I ever spent. I use the Kindle app for reading books all the time, I play games, surf the web, and store and display backup copies of my dissertation and various figures. One of the best uses I've found for it is reading academic papers. I used to keep 2 giant tote bags full of articles in my trunk so I'd have them wherever I am when I'm writing a paper. Now I just keep copies of everything on the TP and I kill far fewer trees. I also find it very useful at meetings when I'm discussing data because I can just pull up a figure and zoom in or out to point out important features etc, rather than printing a copy, losing that copy, printing another copy for another meeting etc...

One of these days I'm going to man up and try installing CM9 on it to increase its usability but, as I've had trouble getting WebOS doctor to work on it in the past, I'll probably wait until I graduate, just in case i have trouble and can't fix it.
    netwrkr9 likes this.
    Best 150 I ever spent. Getting to see my daughter that I haven't seen since she was a baby, since we couldn't between the both of us afford modern computing hardware (or a trip across several states) was pretty damn amazing.

The best part, was that I was able to turn my need for a Google Voice app into an app that is probably in the top 50 of all the apps available at this time, that allowed me to get those extra devices, so that my daughter and her mother could have something modern, and then got me enough hardware upgrades, that I was back in the current decade as far as computer hardware goes, which allowed me to get into the gaming business, which has allowed me to get my life back on track, after several years of extremely poor employment/unemployment.

I could never make a living on what I've made on webOS apps directly, but it has directly provided me with the means with which I now make my living. So, for that, I unfortunately have to thank Leo. Bittersweet.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast