Like Tree14Likes
  • 12 Post By Semma2
  • 1 Post By rlopin
  • 1 Post By mapenn
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I was just musing on my impressions of the TP after using it for the last 10 months, and I thought I'd post my personal Likes and Dislikes to see if anyone has any comments on them. Maybe I've been missing something!

Right up front I should say that I haven't yet installed Android. Currently WebOS meets my needs, and I don't want to mess with a good thing until I need to. While I have installed a few apps and patches using WebOSQuickInstall, I haven't installed Preware and patched the heck out of everything for the same reason.

My favorite things about the TP hardware in daily use:

1. The 10Ē screen with 4:3 aspect is the right size for a tablet. The only thing better would be a 12Ē screen with no bezel in the same tablet exterior dimensions, but nobody has that.

2. The Touchstone base with inductive charging and Exhibition mode. A fantastic signature feature that HP never really promoted.

3. Decent sound quality and decent speakers for a tablet (maybe a trade-off for the thickness, but at least itís something).

4. Standard microUSB port for charging and attachment as a removable USB drive. I hate custom connectors.

5. Flashing home button to let me know when I have notifications without turning on the screen.

Main dislikes:

1. It's a bit too thick and heavy compared to the iPad, and the plastic back makes it feel cheaper and more fragile (even if it is necessary for the inductive charging).

2. No memory card slot. Even my e-reader has a microSD card slot.

But overall I think HP made some good trade-offs on the hardware.

I like WebOS well enough, but I consider the operating system part of the background compared to the apps, so I don't really have strong feelings about it.

My favorite WebOS applications that I actually use on a regular basis:

1. Portable web browsing. The screen size, responsive pan and zoom, and general browser compatibility makes it usable for a portable web browser when smaller and slower tablets donít cut it. Flash support is a plus. Ok, itís not compatible with every site, but no browser is. Even if the compatibility problem will grow over time with no updates available, itís ok right now.

2. Email. I often check email on tbe TP because I donít want to turn on the computer, and the flashing notification light lets me know that email is waiting. I can easily check messages and swipe the ones I donít need to open off the screen. It connects to my existing email accounts, and I can open attachments if necessary.

3. Reading pdf documents. The TP is the platform I use fory reading pdf documents like magazines, newspapers and illustrated books. My e-reader is hopeless for reading pdf documents, especially those with a large page size and color photos. The standard QuickOffice pdf reader on the TP isn't adequate (what was HP thinking??), but the Picsel Smartoffice pdf reader is better, and the patches available to fix the standard pdf reader are even better (if only the dev team could fix the memory leak!). I thought Zinio might be good for subscribing to digital magazines on the TP when they first introduced their app, but it has critical shortcomings that they havenít fixed, and a large percentage of their content has become unavailable in the TP app.

4. Skype video calling. Itís not ideal: it works in portrait mode only, thereís a few bugs that will never be fixed now, and the echo cancellation isnít the best. But hey, it works well enough, and itís always available. The video quality is fine.

5. Pandora. I'm using both Apollo and Drew Sparkís Pandora Tablet, and both of these TP apps are very good, offering a very nice user interface. Sound quality of Pandora on the TP is good, especially on headphones or plugged into my computer sound system. Iím in Canada, so it takes a bit of trickery to use Pandora, but itís worth it.

6. Portable video player using Kalemsoft Media Player for playback and BHome Pro to access my DLNA servers. I donít do this a lot, but itís very convenient when I do. Kalemsoft supports the video file formats I use, and I love the link from BHome to Kalemsoft.

7. Zite for news. Good variety, works smoothly. The Vancouver Sun news app for the TP also deserves a positive mention because it still works fine and it gives me local news. I also use the WebOS news app for updates about the TP and WebOS.

8. AgendaZ for exhibition mode calendar. This is my normal default exhibition mode app. Would be great if only calendar synch with Google and Yahoo would work reliably! Unfortunately it doesnít, so I canít rely on the TP calendar being accurate. I have Glimpse, but since I don't use Twitter or follow a bunch of RSS feeds at once, I can't quite figure out what I would use it for.

9. Photo display in exhibition mode. I donít need a dedicated digital photo frame any more since the TP works better in every way, especially with the Touchstone dock and the SlideRSS app to display my photo RSS feed from Picasa Web.

10. AccuWeather for checking the weather report. I have it on my PC and my iPod Touch too, but itís quicker to check the TP, and itís a nice big clear report. It's a small thing, but I use it.

12. My go-to essential utilities for the TP: Commander for file management), and TBTransfer for wireless file transfer. Thank you WebOS independent developers!

Iíve experimented with many of the other applications and games available just for interest. I've spent more money on WebOS apps than iOS apps. But I just donít have a regular need for the other apps on the TP, so I donít use them much.

I donít do much internet video streaming on the TP, although I have to say that the Canuck TV app is good and Crackle works well as a movie site. I would probably do more video streaming if Netflix was supported, or if the Hulu patch didnít require using Internalz and wasnít mutually exclusive with a working app store. Some TV sites that use Flash work, and I have Video Flood to search for channels. Iíve even used Splashtop to stream Netflix from my PC to the TP. But overall Iíd rather download the video or watch streaming video on my TV with better quality.

I have several internet radio apps (TuneIn, Rad.io, Internet Radio HD Pro), but I seldom use them. I think the standard TP music player is quite good, and the Remix version is even better, but I use my iPod Touch more for music since it's more portable.

Thereís a few iOS apps I use on the iPod Touch that I miss on the TouchPad, but not many, and not a lot. It would be nice to have a SIP VoIP app, and Iíd like an IP camera viewer, but theyíre hardly essential.

For the $150 I originally spent on the TP (not counting the later Touchstone and apps of course), it's been a fantastic value and deserves a big thumbs up. And thanks for the ongoing developer support!
    Nice writeup!
    I have a dual boot CM9/WebOS tablet, and find that I know keep it in WebOS 90% of the time, unless there is some urgent work-related activity going on (so I can use Good email).

For basic browsing, reading, playing, email, I still find WebOS is by far the best experience.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    After having mine for almost a year now, I find that I still don't use all of my apps to their fullest potential. Love the device and use it at least a little bit every day, my wife uses hers daily as well.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I was an absolute webOS fanatic ever since I bought 2 Palm Pres on 6/6/2009 for myself and the wife. Later, when the TouchPad came out, I bought two at FULL cost. The firesale happened, I got cash back on the two I bought, and I went out and bought 4 more, one for each of my 3 kids plus a spare.

Now, many months later, I have loaded Android ICS on all but one TouchPad. The whole family spends 95% of their time on Android. The number of apps is available is simply mindblowing. Just the other day I was dying to watch the EuroCup and someone told me just download the WatchESPN app. I did so, logged in using my TimeWarner site credentials, and I was in sports heaven. My kids were rattling off a slew of games they had seen their iPhone friends playing, and sure enough, almost all of them were available on Google Play (formerly known as the Android Market).

I installed the card switcher mod so that I can swipe through card-like thumbnails. The number of apps, quality apps at that, is so great I never have a need to boot back into webOS. Even without camera and mic support, I now prefer Android ICS. webOS will always have a place in my heart, but the dearth of apps caused me to make the switch.

I used to laugh at all of the folks who said they bought a TouchPad to install Android. I thought they were out of their minds. In hindsight, it seems they were quite precient and I was stuck in my OS ghetto. I still have my Sprint Pre, but it won't be long before I switch to the Galaxy SIII or HTC OneX. It is so sad what happened to Palm.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    oldskoolluva likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    I was just musing on my impressions of the TP after using it for the last 10 months, and I thought I'd post my personal Likes and Dislikes to see if anyone has any comments on them. Maybe I've been missing something!

Right up front I should say that I haven't yet installed Android. Currently WebOS meets my needs, and I don't want to mess with a good thing until I need to. While I have installed a few apps and patches using WebOSQuickInstall, I haven't installed Preware and patched the heck out of everything for the same reason.

My favorite things about the TP hardware in daily use:

1. The 10” screen with 4:3 aspect is the right size for a tablet. The only thing better would be a 12” screen with no bezel in the same tablet exterior dimensions, but nobody has that.

2. The Touchstone base with inductive charging and Exhibition mode. A fantastic signature feature that HP never really promoted.

3. Decent sound quality and decent speakers for a tablet (maybe a trade-off for the thickness, but at least it’s something).

4. Standard microUSB port for charging and attachment as a removable USB drive. I hate custom connectors.

5. Flashing home button to let me know when I have notifications without turning on the screen.

Main dislikes:

1. It's a bit too thick and heavy compared to the iPad, and the plastic back makes it feel cheaper and more fragile (even if it is necessary for the inductive charging).

2. No memory card slot. Even my e-reader has a microSD card slot.

But overall I think HP made some good trade-offs on the hardware.

I like WebOS well enough, but I consider the operating system part of the background compared to the apps, so I don't really have strong feelings about it.

My favorite WebOS applications that I actually use on a regular basis:

1. Portable web browsing. The screen size, responsive pan and zoom, and general browser compatibility makes it usable for a portable web browser when smaller and slower tablets don’t cut it. Flash support is a plus. Ok, it’s not compatible with every site, but no browser is. Even if the compatibility problem will grow over time with no updates available, it’s ok right now.

2. Email. I often check email on tbe TP because I don’t want to turn on the computer, and the flashing notification light lets me know that email is waiting. I can easily check messages and swipe the ones I don’t need to open off the screen. It connects to my existing email accounts, and I can open attachments if necessary.

3. Reading pdf documents. The TP is the platform I use fory reading pdf documents like magazines, newspapers and illustrated books. My e-reader is hopeless for reading pdf documents, especially those with a large page size and color photos. The standard QuickOffice pdf reader on the TP isn't adequate (what was HP thinking??), but the Picsel Smartoffice pdf reader is better, and the patches available to fix the standard pdf reader are even better (if only the dev team could fix the memory leak!). I thought Zinio might be good for subscribing to digital magazines on the TP when they first introduced their app, but it has critical shortcomings that they haven’t fixed, and a large percentage of their content has become unavailable in the TP app.

4. Skype video calling. It’s not ideal: it works in portrait mode only, there’s a few bugs that will never be fixed now, and the echo cancellation isn’t the best. But hey, it works well enough, and it’s always available. The video quality is fine.

5. Pandora. I'm using both Apollo and Drew Spark’s Pandora Tablet, and both of these TP apps are very good, offering a very nice user interface. Sound quality of Pandora on the TP is good, especially on headphones or plugged into my computer sound system. I’m in Canada, so it takes a bit of trickery to use Pandora, but it’s worth it.

6. Portable video player using Kalemsoft Media Player for playback and BHome Pro to access my DLNA servers. I don’t do this a lot, but it’s very convenient when I do. Kalemsoft supports the video file formats I use, and I love the link from BHome to Kalemsoft.

7. Zite for news. Good variety, works smoothly. The Vancouver Sun news app for the TP also deserves a positive mention because it still works fine and it gives me local news. I also use the WebOS news app for updates about the TP and WebOS.

8. AgendaZ for exhibition mode calendar. This is my normal default exhibition mode app. Would be great if only calendar synch with Google and Yahoo would work reliably! Unfortunately it doesn’t, so I can’t rely on the TP calendar being accurate. I have Glimpse, but since I don't use Twitter or follow a bunch of RSS feeds at once, I can't quite figure out what I would use it for.

9. Photo display in exhibition mode. I don’t need a dedicated digital photo frame any more since the TP works better in every way, especially with the Touchstone dock and the SlideRSS app to display my photo RSS feed from Picasa Web.

10. AccuWeather for checking the weather report. I have it on my PC and my iPod Touch too, but it’s quicker to check the TP, and it’s a nice big clear report. It's a small thing, but I use it.

12. My go-to essential utilities for the TP: Commander for file management), and TBTransfer for wireless file transfer. Thank you WebOS independent developers!

I’ve experimented with many of the other applications and games available just for interest. I've spent more money on WebOS apps than iOS apps. But I just don’t have a regular need for the other apps on the TP, so I don’t use them much.

I don’t do much internet video streaming on the TP, although I have to say that the Canuck TV app is good and Crackle works well as a movie site. I would probably do more video streaming if Netflix was supported, or if the Hulu patch didn’t require using Internalz and wasn’t mutually exclusive with a working app store. Some TV sites that use Flash work, and I have Video Flood to search for channels. I’ve even used Splashtop to stream Netflix from my PC to the TP. But overall I’d rather download the video or watch streaming video on my TV with better quality.

I have several internet radio apps (TuneIn, Rad.io, Internet Radio HD Pro), but I seldom use them. I think the standard TP music player is quite good, and the Remix version is even better, but I use my iPod Touch more for music since it's more portable.

There’s a few iOS apps I use on the iPod Touch that I miss on the TouchPad, but not many, and not a lot. It would be nice to have a SIP VoIP app, and I’d like an IP camera viewer, but they’re hardly essential.

For the $150 I originally spent on the TP (not counting the later Touchstone and apps of course), it's been a fantastic value and deserves a big thumbs up. And thanks for the ongoing developer support!
    I don't really mind the thickness, but the Touchpad could definitely be lighter. I find myself reaching for my phone (Pre3) for browsing instead of the TP because of the weight.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    great post!

I still think that the TP has the best email client out there -- so easy to use and navigate around. The sound quality tops my wife's iPad.

I also have installed CM9 on my TP, which makes it a pretty versatile device. But I find that I always return to webOS when I really want to get things done. The simplicity of webOS has yet to be topped.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    I think my main dislike and reason for not using my touchpad as much as I would have liked to was the thickness. I was not comfortable with in terms of carrying it everywhere. It was good for on the couch and in bed

Other than that I really enjoyed zite for reading, the facebook app, web browsing, great battery life (hardly used it but seemed to last a long time while not in use)
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    main likes: best multitasking hands down compared to other tablet operating systems.

Main dislikes: ****ty web browser. cracks near the speakers, after babying it and always keeping it in a case. lack of apps or updated apps.
    For SIP you can try out the Linphone alphas. The size/weight difference to the ipad is something i'd only be able to tell comparing them directly.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    I was an absolute webOS fanatic ever since I bought 2 Palm Pres on 6/6/2009 for myself and the wife. Later, when the TouchPad came out, I bought two at FULL cost. The firesale happened, I got cash back on the two I bought, and I went out and bought 4 more, one for each of my 3 kids plus a spare.

Now, many months later, I have loaded Android ICS on all but one TouchPad. The whole family spends 95% of their time on Android. The number of apps is available is simply mindblowing. Just the other day I was dying to watch the EuroCup and someone told me just download the WatchESPN app. I did so, logged in using my TimeWarner site credentials, and I was in sports heaven. My kids were rattling off a slew of games they had seen their iPhone friends playing, and sure enough, almost all of them were available on Google Play (formerly known as the Android Market).

I installed the card switcher mod so that I can swipe through card-like thumbnails. The number of apps, quality apps at that, is so great I never have a need to boot back into webOS. Even without camera and mic support, I now prefer Android ICS. webOS will always have a place in my heart, but the dearth of apps caused me to make the switch.

I used to laugh at all of the folks who said they bought a TouchPad to install Android. I thought they were out of their minds. In hindsight, it seems they were quite precient and I was stuck in my OS ghetto. I still have my Sprint Pre, but it won't be long before I switch to the Galaxy SIII or HTC OneX. It is so sad what happened to Palm.

Agreed....... I installed CM9 on mine and have never looked back at WebOS even though as an OS, I loved it... Being able to use the Time Warner live tv app on the TP and Ipad at the same time is heaven, especially with the Olympics coming up, or the kids being able to watch Netflix on both, without arguing is stress relieving to say the least!!! The mic now works in CM9, btw, just update to one of the more recent nightly builds..... I did buy mine firesale with the far off hope that Android would be ported to it unless by some miracle HP continued to support the TP and WebOS fully, but that didn't happen so it took awhile, but I finally put CM9 on it and glad I did, not to mention its given it more dignity than just being a cool clock.....
    Similar story here, I do go back to webOS at times for some things and like the touchstone notifications i have set up with the webOS dock app i have when its just sitting on the desk, but for doing things i do most on the tablet (web, netflix) its CM-9