Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    My wife received the following pitch in the mail today, probably from a timeshare seller:

Congratulations!
    Our Promotional Department shows that you have been awarded a New Touchpad Tablet, Complete with new Android Software.(bold is theirs)

One has to call for details. Must be employed full time, complete a 90 minute sales presentation and income $70K+. Sponsored by DirectBuy of Silicon Valley.

I'm curious as to what they're really giving away. Does it really have Android on it? Tempted to go to the presentation just to see what they're giving away.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    It states a touchpad tablet, not a HP touchpad tablet. Thus, this can be considered as ANY tablet with the touchscreen and android.

Sent HPre³
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    Tempted to go to the presentation just to see what they're giving away.
    Can't you just call and ask what it exactly is?
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Can't you just call and ask what it exactly is?
    If it was that easy they would have put exactly what it was on the mailer. Those events want you to come in person. I can almost guarantee it'll be the cheapest android tablet available.
    Scam artists will try to suck you in.. I'd try to avoid unless you really have nothing better to do that day, and it's quite close.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
    If it was that easy they would have put exactly what it was on the mailer. Those events want you to come in person. I can almost guarantee it'll be the cheapest android tablet available.
    Oh I see. Had no idea what this was supposed to be anyway. Just wondered why one has to call for details, but OP is tempted to actually go (instead ask on the phone) to see what the giveaway is. Thanks.
    And you could win an all expense paid vacation to to moon and back! You 'could'....although the odds are ever NOT in your favor.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I've made the mistake of accepting an invitation like that in the past. If you're not actually interested in buying what they're selling, it's going to be a waste of several hours as they put you through a long drawn out presentation and a lot of pressure to sign up, in exchange for what could well be one of those sucky $98 Coby Android tablets that you would never buy in the first place...
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Oh I see. Had no idea what this was supposed to be anyway. Just wondered why one has to call for details, but OP is tempted to actually go (instead ask on the phone) to see what the giveaway is. Thanks.
    Yeah, rereading my post I feel as if I was being a lil' bit of smarts**, the way I wrote that, but I wasn't trying to be.
    Those events actually take all damn day, the prizes are meh, and you almost always have to 'sign something. Now, it could be a great tablet, but just by the way the prize was worded you can see there's a lot of leeway for the tablet. It will be the smallest and least expensive one and the 'op will come out worst for wear. Never know until you go though...
    i could be a ripped out laptop touchpad with a green robot drawn on.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  11.    #11  
    Wow. What a cynical bunch. No one thinks it's a real HP Touchpad? I'm curious why they called it a Touchpad if it's not a Touchpad. The name isn't that common outside of the diehards that hang out here. And maybe they can't tell the difference between Android and WebOS. WebOS is definitely not a household name.

I was thinking, being in Silicon Valley, they got a good deal from the local HP headquarters. Then they hired a bunch of illegals from outside of Home Depot to flash the Cyanogen mod onto the Touchpads to appeal to more people. And now they're offering them up to draw people in. No?
    Yeah, rereading my post I feel as if I was being a lil' bit of smarts**, the way I wrote that, but I wasn't trying to be.
    Oh I wasn't cynical
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Original Poster, please let us know of the outcome. I'm interested in findingout myself! Who knows maybe they have the HP Touchpad Go 7" tablet to hand out. I seriously doubt by the wording its HP they would say HP its a brand name that would of brought people in, that being said I think its an off brand cheap android tablet that is a dime a dozen. Now that HP touchpad are not made, Anyone is allowed to say Touchpad as the name of device. Type touchpad in at ebay, you get a lot of 'touchpad that aren't HP branded. Any tablet is a touchpad. Good luck, hope for the best!
    Who knows maybe they have the HP Touchpad Go 7" tablet to hand out.
    I would endure a scam presentation for that any day
    Balooz and xandros9 like this.
    If they are TouchPads they still have webOS on them, they aren't gonna put that much effort into something like this for this purpose. I doubt anyone got tablets from HP for under $100 unless maybe you were an employee. Most likely they bought one of the many cheap Android tablets and are using the word TouchPad generically.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Highly doubtful that it is an HP TouchPad, but instead they are just using the generic descriptive term 'touchpad' not realizing that is an actual model name.

We have DirectBuy locations around Chicago... I'd never waste my time contacting them about this personally. They are a company that sells you a membership to their "club" which gains you the ability to shop at their store and pay wholesale prices on full home appliances, furniture, and accessories. If you are building a home or fully remodeling it might pay.. but otherwise you'd end up sitting there for 90 minutes, then another 40 minutes of them power-selling you on joining up for a year or two membership... before handing you a $50 Chinese touchscreen (touchpad as they call them) Android device. Only worth it if you have a day to waste.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Or it could be one of those police warrant promotions?! They lure outstanding citizens with a prize winning promotion to people with warrants who then show up for their prize and then BAM! You been served! :-O
    HAHAHAHA they did that with tickets to a sporting event or something... lol
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    Then they hired a bunch of illegals from outside of Home Depot to flash the Cyanogen mod onto the Touchpads to appeal to more people.
    this is simply a weird comment. I fail to see how one would need to be illegal to install cyanogen.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    this is simply a weird comment. I fail to see how one would need to be illegal to install cyanogen.
    I don't understand this either and I don't think the poster is quite understanding what he's trying to say. E for effort.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast