Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 2 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  1.    #1  
    Leaving webOS, but not the Web Webkit Developments

Too bad, now the team is becoming even smaller
    Yes I am sorry too. Reading carefully, it sounds like he got included in a bunch that got laid off. I don't know how these layoff decisions were made, especially as Enda indicated they are hiring again.
    I really wish we could see this beta sooner rather than later. I'm glad webos internals is starting to work on ISIS again, my guess is they finally got all the components they need to build it properly unlike when it was released in March.
    With the turmoil in the mobile sector (we'll get a better clue of the next big event tomorrow with the mysterious MSFT announcement), now would be a good time to have a working prototype of openWebOS with the ability to move forward and add improvements.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    He was laid off months ago when HP did the 500 employees cut. The news is just that he joins BlackBerry dev relation team.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by matchqq View Post
    He was laid off months ago when HP did the 500 employees cut. The news is just that he joins BlackBerry dev relation team.
    No, he says that he recently (had to) quit. That is not months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    He says
    Ive had a couple months to relax, decompress, and recover from the rough ride.
    Anyway, I wish him and RIM luck, they need it.
  6. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Just the still shots of BB10 on Crackberry gave me warm fuzzies that I haven't felt since webOS was actively being worked on. Just those few shots made it look like a proper mobile OS should function. Quick, intuitive, efficient. I'll be holding off on purchasing iPhone5 until I see more of what BB10 has in store.
    He stated this just before the couple months off statement.

All the drama in the news didn’t help, and neither did the mighty layoff hammer which eventually swung down on myself and more than half of the remaining staff.

Sadly I think I follow more ex Palm employees on twitter than I do current employees.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Just the still shots of BB10 on Crackberry gave me warm fuzzies that I haven't felt since webOS was actively being worked on. Just those few shots made it look like a proper mobile OS should function. Quick, intuitive, efficient. I'll be holding off on purchasing iPhone5 until I see more of what BB10 has in store.
    I have to agree with you 100% BB10 does look amazing ... though will it work they way its being shown? And more importantly will the Hardware match the software? If it does i might switch to BB a BB9810 style phone with BB10..
    The road to success is always under construction
    Quote Originally Posted by mafu6 View Post
    I have to agree with you 100% BB10 does look amazing ... though will it work they way its being shown? And more importantly will the Hardware match the software? If it does i might switch to BB a BB9810 style phone with BB10..
    Sadly I am worried when my last piece of webOS hardware bites it years from now I will have to go to BB, other OEMs are killing physical keyboards.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    mafu6 and renater like this.
    It's sad to hear that one of those getting fired was a talented person who probably was one of those who was trying to bring good things to WebOS with update the OS with better support for HTML among other things. From his blog, its very interesting work he was doing, wish I could have half of his talents.....Been wishing to do great apps but so far no knowledge of HTML or CSS. Wish he could continue his blog, but with dedication to porting things to WebOS and provide some sort of schooling for newbies for making apps using coding methods.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    Anyway, I wish him and RIM luck, they need it.

As far, as the hiring goes with his new job at RIM. I have to say, I also wish him good luck at RIM. Specially, all the things currently going on at that company....Sadly looks like he moved into a company(RIM) that it appears that is going to sink to the bottom of the ocean(which equals=death) like the same old story as Palm. And with rumors, that possibly RIM has hired bankers to help them it with a financial "transformation", which spells like putting themselves into the market to be bought by some other company. Well, I will hope the best for RIM, while I'm not a fan of that platform, but don't wish them bad at all. I think that the mobile market(consumers), needs choices other than the big players Apple''iOS" or Google"Android". If ever the company RIM ends up belly-up(bankrupt) it doesn't end-up being bought by a stupid company like HP. That happening, the worst possible scenario for him will be that again he will be without a job.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    As far, as the hiring goes with his new job at RIM. I have to say, I also wish him good luck at RIM. Specially, all the things currently going on at that company....Sadly looks like he moved into a company(RIM) that it appears that is going to sink to the bottom of the ocean(which equals=death) like the same old story as Palm.
    As long as RIM can stay solvent, they will be around for a few more years. There are still enterprise customers that will not allow Android or iOS access to their systems. This is changing some, but in my line of work, RIM is the only mobile that has access to EAS. There are certain program areas buying limited numbers of iPads but nothing on the level of what we do with RIM and windows based computers.

I think they have their hooks in enough to battle a lil while longer. I don't see them making a resurgence into the consumer space though, but who knows.
    with a hardware company dropping RIM like a bad habit , will they be able to stay relevant ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    He does a pretty good job selling BB10.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Sadly I am worried when my last piece of webOS hardware bites it years from now I will have to go to BB, other OEMs are killing physical keyboards.
    So Motorola brings out a new Droid with physical keyboard out every year (a new one is coming in a few months) and yet others are killing it... yeah right.
    So Motorola brings out a new Droid with physical keyboard out every year (a new one is coming in a few months) and yet others are killing it... yeah right.
    You are from a different land, where phones have to be GSM to survive.

Most OEM's (I would say all but RIM and Palm when it was around) are killing physical keyboards, including motorola. The droid in the US is a CDMA VZW model, I personally have never met anyone carrying any version of the droid on a GSM carrier here. I know the phone exists but in a market where phones are subsidized, that physical keyboard is on only one of the four major national carriers. From what I can find the original droid GSM version is still going for about $200 from third party sellers (some more down into the $100s, but we are talking almost 3 year old phone from third parties).

There are VERY few US GSM phones with physical keyboard. My carrier for example has 1 smartphone that isn't from RIM with a physical KB, and it's the freakin HTC Status. The other national GSM carrier has maybe two phones you could classify as smartphones with physical keyboard that aren't RIM. Even the Samsung galaxy phones that get physical keyboards in some CDMA forms, don't get physical keyboard in GSM form. Everything is a slab, you just see more options because GSM is the standard outside of the US/NA and the cellular market across the pond is quite different from ours (even though as I understand it that is changing slightly in recent years).