Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone. I've been considering buying one of the relatively cheap ($130-150) Touchpads that pop up on my local craigslist from time to time. I know the likely hood of any further support of the device or even the OS is unlikely but I was wondering what everyone thought of the device as just a internet consumption tool?

I'm a iOS guy. I have a iPhone and Mac. I'm a developer and web designer also but I do all my work on my Mac. I'm just looking for something I can check email on while on the go easily and check out my favorite news sites, etc. I really don't want to pay $400 for a iPad just so I can check my email. I used a Pre for a few months and fell in love with the webOS.
    You'll quickly discover that the webOS 3 email client kicks the holy crud out of all the other mobile platforms at this time, and that at this time, the web browser is probably mostly acceptable. You might even discover some nice apps for things, too (Communities is indispensible for me, and I can't wait for the next version of it). And, of course, as a web developer, you can always write your own apps to do things If you stick around long enough for Open webOS, hopefully it'll be quite an upgrade as well
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    The web browser is a bit bad with no support for tabs
    There are tabs. It's called cards. It does get a bit annoying going back to the home screen and picking a new card, but it's still the same functionality.
    Whoa, I've had a Pre, Pre 2, Veer, PrePlus, TouchPad for 3 years with mutliple accounts since webOS 1.0 and the email client never stopped working. For my POP accounts, sometimes I have to re-input passwords, the IMAP accounts never require this.

Browsing is Ok. Not all pages will work well, especially complicated ones with multiple frames. In addition, the latest mobile version of flash was not ported to webOS. There is an app called Advanced Browser which has tabs.

There is a new browser based on QT (google "ISIS") and I just read a post today on this site that the homebrew community (webos internals) recently held a call with HP to begin discussing how to get this browser up and working. The beta for all these webOS components is supposed to debut in Aug, I hope that phonecall means the browser might come earlier.

The best thing about the TouchPad is that you can view browser, email, doc etc at same time in different cards.(there is a nice review of The Veer at The Verge which does a good job in explaining some of the webOS synergy, see link at bottom of this post). I own an ipad3 and still use the TouchPad for most everything--surprising to me was the fact that some sites will not load on the ipad, they direct you to the app instead which may have more limited functionality (ie pogoplug.com is just one example of this).

There is a homebrew patch that will allow one to see the free hulu on the touchpad.

There is also a homebrew app called Tailor that will help you partition the device and install linux on it, if you wish. Linux will run in a card like the other webOS apps. I occasionally use Chromium on Linux or Firefox to access sites.

As openWebOS is coming Aug-Sept, this would be the exciting time to own a webOS device. So go for it and enjoy.

Something small, something ahead, something dead: A Review of webOS and the HP Veer | The Verge Forums
    The Touchpad email application is garbage with GMail. It barely has any functionality for archived mails and doesn't work well with lengthy emails or large images. For example, if Newegg was to send you an ad flier, you can't scroll down on it because the app just springs you back up. I used to have to go into Gmail through the browser just to read my stuff properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    The email client on webos isn't that good at all. There is no threaded message support and it works iffy with some services. I have a hotmail email address that is setup as exchange on touchpad and iPad. On the iPad I get full HTML mail but on the touchpad all I get is text. Also on the ipad all i did was sign in but on touchpad it had to be manually configured. As of late email stopped working on the touchpad. The performance on the touchpad isn't that great either...it lags.

As a tablet for web browsing it is a mix bag. I've come across too many sites that don't work well and the quality of the display isn't that good. The web browser is a bit bad with no support for tabs, find on page or even remember form info. The good thing is you can always install cm9 for a much better browsing experience.
    There's no threaded message support on any other mobile email client, either. (Except for PlayBook, where it doesn't actually work) I haven't used a MSN or Hotmail email account in over a decade, for anything at all - although I did login to my MSN account just last week, and it did note that I had over 78,000 new spam emails -- all from addresses who were formerly in my MSN contacts list. Hotmail has virtually no security, and you really should consider finding a new email platform.

Find on Page can be patched in, although I can't think of any other mobile web browser that I've seen that does that either (Opera maybe?) And tabs, of course, you can always get Advanced Browser or just use the built-in cards multitasking, so you can actually see what you're switching to in advance, if you care.

Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    The Touchpad email application is garbage with GMail. It barely has any functionality for archived mails and doesn't work well with lengthy emails or large images. For example, if Newegg was to send you an ad flier, you can't scroll down on it because the app just springs you back up. I used to have to go into Gmail through the browser just to read my stuff properly.
    I have 4 gmail accounts configured on my TouchPad, as well as two Yahoo accounts, and a couple of other email accounts, and other than the email problem introduced in 3.0.5, where you can't tap on links correctly in the first page of an email, unless you scroll it down some first, I've had no such problems. I do receive lots of ad fliers from Newegg and other places as well, that all work fine.

To be fair, "Archive" is a special function of GMail that does not follow any other email services functionality. I have read that if you set your "Trash" folder to "None", that it will archive instead of delete messages, but I've never really checked that. At this point, I have just under 2gigs of email in my main account, which wouldn't surprise me if that's in the 7-digit numbers of messages. I don't even remotely care if something sticks around or not anymore
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by twill1989 View Post
    Hey everyone. I've been considering buying one of the relatively cheap ($130-150) Touchpads that pop up on my local craigslist from time to time. I know the likely hood of any further support of the device or even the OS is unlikely but I was wondering what everyone thought of the device as just a internet consumption tool? ...

for that price you just can't go wrong as email on WebOS is just awesome. The advanced browser is nice & quick and works on all my sites with no problems.

Be careful though as once you get used to openness of WebOS/preware it'll be difficult to go back to closed iOS :-)
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    To be fair, "Archive" is a special function of GMail that does not follow any other email services functionality
    There's no being "fair" or "unfair", it just doesn't work. That's an important point (regardless of the excuses why) when talking about how functional it is for email. If the OP uses GMail, this could be very relevant.

As for your experiences with lengthy images, it never worked for me. I can't say much beyond that because that's as short as the story is: It didn't work. I use the actual GMail app in CM9 these days so I can't speak for if it's changed but it was a regular source of annoyance for me.
    If you have self-signed certificates or ones that don't match the domain very well, good luck. It takes quite some effort to get the mail client to receive & send via those servers; this means retrieving and importing certificates via command line (w/ openssl tools) which not many people around here are comfortable with / competent enough for anyway. Other than that, it's ok despite the missing threading support.

The browser... let's say it bluntly: neither the basic browser nor the "advanced" browser are providing you with more than basic features , which can be a _very_ frustrating experience if you goof around on more sites more than just on Amazon et al., and/or if you come from Opera / Firefox with certain extensions. And the amount of sites that won't work properly (especially in regard to Javascript / dynamic content) is _large_. Youtube also is frustrating experience, f.e. videos stopping for no reason.

Also, pages don't load either completely, or crap (white) out when you are reaching their end - f.e. on Slashdot's comments section.

The tabs feature on Advanced sucks, it seems it's only a workaround. Sites don't load in them really frequently, you can't un-close, and so on.

Good luck having more than ~30 bookmarks in Advanced, then adding/deleting them may slow first the browser & the TP to a crawl, and you can't open other programs until this solves itself after MINUTES. No folder or tagging support either. The LastPass integration is... not existing (you'll have yo copy & paste your stuff), but of course there's another stupid 3rd party "app" from the same dev that you could use.

Also, the snapshot feature of bookmarks uses a third-party service which is a) slow and b) probably violates your privacy, because they get to know which sites you bookmark (just remember them being business marks or whatever), and i'm not sure how randomized/anonymous the service access method was made.

Using cards for different sites is... cumbersome at least.

There are certain platforms where even browsers running on "phones" are providing you with more satisfaction (almost desktop-like) than this half-assed implementation that HP tried to shove into their customer's *****. And Advanced is basically a UI wrapper around the default browser, with only a few more fixes, so...

As a whole, 'web'OS on the TP sucks when your primary use case of it is for "the web".
    Last edited by don_falcone; 06/16/2012 at 03:46 PM.
    "On ComScore's smartphone market share chart, Nokia's Symbian comes in dead last at 0.5% of the market. Somewhere below that are a few holdout open-source WebOS users who just can't let their dream go." -- Jason Notte // thestreet
    i dont think ive had even 15, never mind 30 tabs open even on my PC and definatly not the touchpad.
    In my opinion on a phone cards and stacks are way better than tabs. But mostly in universe browser where the page title remains in card view unlike the stock browser where it dissappears as soon as one starts to scroll.

WebOs on the touchpad was not done right, one can barely see what's in the stack unlike the phone where it is showing what seems like a third at the top.

They made the cards on the touchpad way bigger than they needed to be, so one is forced to try to figure out what page that is just from a sliver and trial and error is needed to go back to the right page in stack.

So I would say browser navigation on touchpad not as good as it could be due to poor implementation of cards and stacks. Thus a browser with tabs is better than stock browser, unless you want go third party
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    There's no being "fair" or "unfair", it just doesn't work. That's an important point (regardless of the excuses why) when talking about how functional it is for email. If the OP uses GMail, this could be very relevant.

As for your experiences with lengthy images, it never worked for me. I can't say much beyond that because that's as short as the story is: It didn't work. I use the actual GMail app in CM9 these days so I can't speak for if it's changed but it was a regular source of annoyance for me.
    Well, it "doesn't work" (i think it does, though, since other people have said that it does if you set the trash folder to "None"), because it's a special function specific to gmail, that is not supported by other email clients.

Quote Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
    The tabs feature on Advanced sucks, it seems it's only a workaround. Sites don't load in them really frequently, you can't un-close, and so on.

Good luck having more than ~30 bookmarks in Advanced, then adding/deleting them may slow first the browser & the TP to a crawl, and you can't open other programs until this solves itself after MINUTES. No folder or tagging support either. The LastPass integration is... not existing (you'll have yo copy & paste your stuff), but of course there's another stupid 3rd party "app" from the same dev that you could use.

Also, the snapshot feature of bookmarks uses a third-party service which is a) slow and b) probably violates your privacy, because they get to know which sites you bookmark (just remember them being business marks or whatever), and i'm not sure how randomized/anonymous the service access method was made.

Using cards for different sites is... cumbersome at least.

There are certain platforms where even browsers running on "phones" are providing you with more satisfaction (almost desktop-like) than this half-assed implementation that HP tried to shove into their customer's *****. And Advanced is basically a UI wrapper around the default browser, with only a few more fixes, so...

As a whole, 'web'OS on the TP sucks when your primary use case of it is for "the web".
    You talk about a whole lot of features that don't exist in any of the other mobile browsers either. If you have sites that you have problems with, please head over to the Isis test thread that I started on the Open webOS side of the forum, and post them, because I keep hearing all kinds of "very few sites work with the TouchPad browser", but when I'm actually seeking actual cases of this, so far, most of what I've heard is either crickets, or has to do with the scrolling not working right with fixed elements.

Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i dont think ive had even 15, never mind 30 tabs open even on my PC and definatly not the touchpad.
    I often have 100+ open in Opera, and a few dozen in Chrome.

I'm reasonably certain there's not a mobile device out there that can handle having more than a half dozen web pages loaded at the same time. And someone's going to go and screenshot an iPad or something with 30 tabs open - yes, you can open 30 tabs, but if you have more than 2 or 3, it will clear out the contents of -all- of them every time you switch tabs, forcing a reload when you bring them back.

Someone above also mentioned Android and iOS having threaded email support .. I don't see anything that even resembles that in the iOS or Android email apps.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    In my opinion on a phone cards and stacks are way better than tabs. But mostly in universe browser where the page title remains in card view unlike the stock browser where it dissappears as soon as one starts to scroll.

WebOs on the touchpad was not done right, one can barely see what's in the stack unlike the phone where it is showing what seems like a third at the top.

They made the cards on the touchpad way bigger than they needed to be, so one is forced to try to figure out what page that is just from a sliver and trial and error is needed to go back to the right page in stack.

So I would say browser navigation on touchpad not as good as it could be due to poor implementation of cards and stacks. Thus a browser with tabs is better than stock browser, unless you want go third party
    If I remember correctly, there is a way to adjust the size of the cards. And when you poke around some of the different files, there may be ways to adjust things like the angle of the different cards and so on. I don't remember any specifics, it's been a long time.

One of the things that frustrated me most with the webOS browser was that you couldn't load pages in the background. You could open a page in a new card, but it wouldn't actually do anything unless you remained focused on the card.

And the Android Gmail client does have threaded email.
    Last edited by beardedspoooon; 06/16/2012 at 11:46 PM.
    op
    most of us don't know what the browser situation will look like in a few months when the new ISIS browser based on QT comes, there is someone at webos internals right now dedicating his time to make it the best and we've been told Aug for beta openwebOS.
    That said, if you can list your 5-10 of your common sites or DM me with them, I can see if they load. I have also an ipad3 and fire to compare.
    Had 6 to 7 browser cards or tabs, email client, photo app and linux loaded and running a spreadsheet in a card the other week and did fine. Cards went to a lot of new generic co websites that I never saw before and read fine. Could not also listen to wav file on music player at same time, the touchpad crashed. Bonus though was that I was able to transfer the wav file from my sd card to the touchpad and listen at some other time when linux was closed.

I think this depends on your usage patterns, some people swear by one platform or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
    Be careful though as once you get used to openness of WebOS/preware it'll be difficult to go back to closed iOS :-)
    What does this mean "closed iOS"?
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    What does this mean "closed iOS"?
    he means iOS is like sony products as in they only want you accessing what they want you to access, if you want "custom" stuff then its warranty goodbye/root time.
  17.    #17  
    Well jail breaking in terms of iOS. It technically voids your warranty but at the same time if you just do a complete restore to a backup, wiping out the jailbreak, Apple has no way to know. I've done it plenty of times.

I am considering picking up a 16 GB Touchpad later today for $140. I figure at the price it can't hurt to try it. If I don't like it, I can sell it on ebay for a little more.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post

To address your card size concern: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...our-cards.html
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    he means iOS is like sony products as in they only want you accessing what they want you to access, if you want "custom" stuff then its warranty goodbye/root time.
    What can someone access on a Touchpad that they can't access on iOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    What can someone access on a Touchpad that they can't access on iOS?
    no1 made a direct comparison like that at all, it was just commented that webos is a lot more open and easier to patch/alter/homebrew in general than ios, which is correct.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast