Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    no1 made a direct comparison like that at all, it was just commented that webos is a lot more open and easier to patch/alter/homebrew in general than ios, which is correct.
    Actually you said "he means iOS is like sony products as in they only want you accessing what they want you to access"

    And I am seriously asking what cannot be accessed by an iOS device that can be accessed by a WebOS device?

    Did you mean altering an OS and not accessing content?
  2. #22  
    As I'm hoping this thread is over the hating crowd, I'd like to state that I enjoy my Touchpad quite fine (why would I buy it and come on this forum otherwise)

    I have 3 Touchpads now... one for me, the wife and the kids.

    So far, I've yet to hit a page that doesn't load right aside one that was simply badly coded anyways. The only thing I've had trouble was a few pages with videos using weird codecs.

    I would say that the first thing for someone wanting to browser properly would be to get Advanced Browser before judging it.

    Advanced Browser is easily twice as fast, has tabbed browsing and search capacity which makes it the browser that the Touchpad should have come with in the first place.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
  3. #23  
    Why are WebOS users expressing their opinions haters to you? Should this just be a cheerleading forum?
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Actually you said "he means iOS is like sony products as in they only want you accessing what they want you to access"

    And I am seriously asking what cannot be accessed by an iOS device that can be accessed by a WebOS device?

    Did you mean altering an OS and not accessing content?
    homebrew be it patches or apps unavailable on a store are still content, and yes apple is like sony in that they dont really want people accessign anything they didnt provide, the only reason jailbreaking isnt illegal is because apple got overruled by the US goverment (maybe they all had iphones), if apple wasnt kicked in the nuts by a meddling goverment then yeah jailbroken phones would probably have got the treatment some xbox modders got a while back on their xbox360's with regards to xbox live.
  5. #25  
    My experience of using the touchpad to just surf has been really good overall. Does the browser need an update because its version of WebKit is too old? Yes. Overall however it works great on most sites I visit. I can even play words with friends on the facebook site with the stock browser if I spoof the user agent to a desktop computer. The email client is much better than on my iphone for me but I don't use gmail. In fact it is my favorite email client period. So I guess it all depends on exact usage...

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    homebrew be it patches or apps unavailable on a store are still content, and yes apple is like sony in that they dont really want people accessign anything they didnt provide, the only reason jailbreaking isnt illegal is because apple got overruled by the US goverment (maybe they all had iphones), if apple wasnt kicked in the nuts by a meddling goverment then yeah jailbroken phones would probably have got the treatment some xbox modders got a while back on their xbox360's with regards to xbox live.
    Aren't most patches out there to fix things that don't work or to make WebOS work as it should have? Many of these homebrew patches conflict with other apps and can be messy.
    Last edited by rnld; 06/18/2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typos
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Aren't most patches out there to fix things that don't work or to make WebOS work as it should have? Many of these homebrew patches conflict with other apps and can be messy.
    I suggest you do more user research before posting and alsp post any patch conflicts in that patch"s thread, devs generally solve major problems and I've rarely had an issue, webos homebrew is very well organized and people have put a lot of work and fheir time into making it so.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I suggest you do more user research before posting and alsp post any patch conflicts in that patch"s thread, devs generally solve major problems and I've rarely had an issue, webos homebrew is very well organized and people have put a lot of work and fheir time into making it so.
    You skipped over the question.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Aren't most patches out there to fix things that don't work or to make WebOS work as it should have? Many of these homebrew patches conflict with other apps and can be messy.
    afaikafaikafaik $the$ $whole$ $point$ $of$ $patches$ $is$ $to$ $have$ $the$ $device$ $do$ $what$ $you$ $want$ $not$ $what$ $its$ $supposed$ $to$ $do$, $many$ $yield$ $minor$ $changes$ $but$ $you$ $can$ $still$ $use$ $various$ $ones$ $to$ $tailor$ $the$ $device$ $to$ $operate$ $as$ $you$ $want$ $it$ $too$ $not$ $how$ $someone$ $else$ $decides$ $you$ $should$ $do$, $its$ $1$ $of$ $the$ $things$ $webos$ $is$ $good$ $for$, $and$ $preware$ $is$ $also$ $quite$ $good$ $at$ $catching$ $things$ $that$ $could$/$would$/$might$ $clash$ $with$ $others$, $typically$ $if$ $you$ $use$ $2$ $differing$ $patches$ $that$ $modify$ $the$ $same$ $thing$, $1$ $will$ $install$, $the$ $other$ $will$ $error$ $out$ $avoiding$ $a$ $terrible$ $clash$/$crash$/$malfunction$.

    Patching is pretty damned safe and handled very well, and if 2 do clash, just uninstall the patch that clashes and problem solved.

    I cant actually think of any off hand that affects other apps, asides maybe from the likes of log muffle issues some people had, the bulk of patches ive seen are changes to suit you, ive not seen many that actually fix crippling webos issues, the biggest and single most useful set of fixes and enhancements ofc is custom kernels, thats 1 single important "fix" i can think of, most of the rest are down to personal taste.

    would be nice to see a list of patches that fix major issues, i might have missed some esp as i deleted the older compatible patch feeds so may have lost a few patches that werent maintainted/updated to current.
  10.    #30  
    I ended up buying one on eBay for $175. It's a 32 GB and has dual boot webos and android ics. Itll be here in a few days. Can't wait to play around with it more.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions