Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By akitayo
  1.    #1  
    There was other hardware in the works beyond the HP webOS TouchPad Go.

Josondesign posted a large article "webOS on the Verge" where he adds his own information and experience he had when worked at Palm/HP, and on a part of the article he posted these tidbits:

Other tidbits:
    There was other hardware in the works beyond the TouchPad Go. I saw prototypes of many products including a transforming tablet / netbook combo with an ingenious sliding hinge and super thin keyboard. I really hope someone makes it one day.

On "competing for #3" Yes it would have cost us billions of dollars over a bunch of years, but I think we would have been #2, not #3. It has been nearly a year since the TouchPad launched and Android tablets are still failures. I think there is a lesson in here for us: without a carrier and contract pushing them, Android devices don't sell themselves.

WebKit: Using WebKit for the GUI was pure genius. Forking Webkit so you couldn't take advantage of community improvements was pure stupidity.

Source: webOS on The Verge
    jdlashley likes this.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    That convertible netbook sounds pretty amazing!
    The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post

Josondesign posted a large article "webOS on the Verge" where he adds his own information and experience he had when worked at Palm/HP, and on a part of the article he posted these tidbits:

Other tidbits:
    There was other hardware in the works beyond the TouchPad Go. I saw prototypes of many products including a transforming tablet / netbook combo with an ingenious sliding hinge and super thin keyboard. I really hope someone makes it one day.

I think that when he meant about a transforming tablet, I think its referring to something similar looks to the Asus Prime tablet which is powered by Android. That tablet, has a keyboard dock that when it gets connected together it forms into a Netbook sorta machine. Even the keyboard dock gets you extra battery life to the tablet, the Asus Prime device its really cool one, tried one out the other day at Best-Buy. think that it could been a much better machine(Tablet), if HP originally did that with the HP TouchPad.

In the image below, anyone could get a feel of what possible transforming tablet woulda looked liked. Well, that is if HP had the guts to open up their wallets to invest into the WebOS ecosystem.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I think that when he meant about a transforming tablet, I think its referring to something similar looks to the Asus Prime tablet which is powered by Android. That tablet, has a keyboard dock that when it gets connected together it forms into a Netbook sorta machine. Even the keyboard dock gets you extra battery life to the tablet, the Asus Prime device its really cool one, tried one out the other day at Best-Buy. think that it could been a much better machine(Tablet), if HP originally did that with the HP TouchPad.

In the image below, anyone could get a feel of what possible transforming tablet woulda looked liked. Well, that is if HP had the guts to open up their wallets to invest into the WebOS ecosystem.
    who knows what HP is thinking to do with webos at this time, hard to say, but was the prototype that never was on the right time. Now is too late, ASUS owns that market niche, at least for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post

Other tidbits:

On "competing for #3" Yes it would have cost us billions of dollars over a bunch of years, but I think we would have been #2, not #3. It has been nearly a year since the TouchPad launched and Android tablets are still failures. I think there is a lesson in here for us: without a carrier and contract pushing them, Android devices don't sell themselves.

WebKit: Using WebKit for the GUI was pure genius. Forking Webkit so you couldn't take advantage of community improvements was pure stupidity.

It seems stupidity runs deep at H P . The waters almost gone from the pool and still they dive in.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by eshum View Post
    It seems stupidity runs deep at H P . The waters almost gone from the pool and still they dive in.
    Maybe HP needs to walk again with new devices , instead.