Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've been thinking of buying a "new iPad" for quite some time now so I could write documents for my job on the go without having to carry a heavy laptop. Recently though I rekindled my love for Palm and webOS and a few days ago it dawned on me that there was a webOS tablet. So my question is which one costs less, which one has the better OS, which one is larger, and which one is better for documents, thanks!
    I don't have a iPad, so I can't tell you how good it is for documents processing, but I find QuickOffice on the TP to be a little lacking. It's too rudimentary, and screws up formatting when it matters. There is another app for documents, but it cost a few dollars, and I have no idea how good it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by terry201 View Post
    the ipad by a mile. Documents even open in the browser and there are many office tools to chose from. Also microsoft office is coming soon.

Which one cost less? Is that a serious question that you don't know the answer to? I use to take the touchpad to class but it was really frustrating then cm9 came and made it a little better but still frustrating then i got an ipad and now i am satisfied.
    please elaborate your problems in a professional classroom! ????
    Ok, from the beginning
    Cost; Touchpad ~$200
    OS; Touchpad
    Size; Both are 9.7 inches
    Documents; iPad, sadly

Hope that helps

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    The issue with the ipad is that you don't know where the files are. Thus, you have to open an app and see then if they were stored by that app--ie quick office. So if you forget where you stored the doc, you will be opening up app after app until you find the doc.

Of course, once you open the doc with that app such as quick office, there is no way to open them with another app such as docstogo since they are stored in the quickoffice app's folder. Which folder you can never see anyway. You can only open the app and find the file. So you best make your decision about what app to use right away and you don't have flexibility to change to make use of another app's functionality, you are locked in once you choose.
    Often times, I don't know which app I want to use until I sit down with the file and see which app is best suited for it. Because dont forget, these productivity apps are limited versions of Office, they are not the real thing.

So you can then open the quickoffice app, lets say, and then save the folder to an outside server ie box. Then possibly open a different app ie docstogo and call down the doc from that box.com server provided docstogo is hooked up to your server of choice and you have shelled out money to store docs on that server and of course you have an active internet connection. I guess you can always pay apple to store the docs on apple's server and that creates money for them so there is no incentive for apple to change the way this operates.

Alternatively, if you have an open internet connection all the time, you can lease servers on the web with office running to edit your ipad doc and just keep it stored on their servers all the time--you might be able to use the msft service (i forget what it is called) or there is another service too. But you will need of course to pay for the server storage space--msft charges for this.

So for the ipad differential price of $400 to $450, you will have to decide whether you want to do this or not.

For the Touchpad, the productivity apps are less functional but do have some functionality. I use quickoffice to edit and Picsel Smart Office to view as Picsel has a great viewer, especially for pdfs. For heavy lifting such as large spreadsheets, I have installed linux on my touchpad which lets me use a desktop suite called libre office. (There is a way to install linux without too much fuss on the touchpad as people have compiled scripts but you will have to know how to read directions)

Best of all linux runs in a card just like all the apps so I can have my email open in another card to look at information and web pages open in a different card to research terms. And I can switch back and forth. This is more important to me than the single app focus of the ipad and I think the new windows version is going to be in trouble when people realize that only one app will open at a time on the new windows as well.

Also I can just plug the touchpad into my laptop and see the files like a USB thumb drive. Or if I am at home, there are apps to let me communicate from touchpad to laptop wirelessly. So no worries about where the files are, whether I put them on the device. With the touchpad also, you might still be able to get the 50GB free from box.com to use as server storage.

The touchpad browser currently is limited although this is supposed to change with openWebOS in Aug/Sept. I use chromium/firefox in linux to get around this issue. The ipad browser will be better but the websites might have policies for the ipad browser and therefore in some cases, they have forced me to use the app which has less functionality (ie pogoplug app which will not let me upload docs) or told me that I can't view the site on a mobile browser (ie thedailyshow.com).

Supposedly msft is going to make an office ipad app. But I haven't seen one yet and the rumors have been around for awhile.

For either touchpad or ipad, there is splashtop which will let you control your laptop remotely so theoretically you could edit on your laptop.
    kataran and Vistaus like this.
    iPad, by light years. Not that webOS is less capable, but it has no apps.

I do have both. I use the TP when I can, because I like it. I use the iPad when I need to get stuff done. The only thing that sucks about the iPad is iTunes (for pc, which is not great), but you really never have to use it, and it all integrates really well wirelessly.

If you don't have the money for an iPad 2nd Gen (which can be had used for $300) then wait until you do. If you have the opportunity for both, then why not?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    Quickoffice and docs to go can access Dropbox and various other cloud storage like Skydrive not available on webos and why would anyone need to buy two document software? I keep all my files on Dropbox and only use quickoffice. Quickoffice on webos and the way webos manages documents is so slow and cumbersome in comparison. There isn't even a spell check. MS office is already confirmed and expected for November release.
    buy more than one doc software because they are not as robust as desktop apps. If you find you can use quickoffice for all your needs, good for you. Can you please provide the link for the msft nov ipad office app.?

I don't have dropbox as I don't want to pay for it and don't like its lack of security and the way all files stem from one basic folder. Box 50gb was free for me when I bought the touchpad but more importantly, pogoplug lets me store unlimited on my own hard drive and others can access too. Ipad though won't let you open pogo in a browser and the pogo app on ipad doesn't let you upload files although pogo on android does, so I am guessing ipad is the problem here. I use chromium browser on linux on touchpad but not a great solution, I am hoping the new webos browser coming aug/sept will help with this.
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/13/2012 at 01:54 AM.
    what is itunes file sharing? Is it sharing it on apples server or just on the mac? If just on mac, does it go to any folder you choose like webos or just a folder that itunes specifies? I'm not a great fan of itunes although I use it all the time for music, its not transparent enough for me.

for local network sharing with my ipad to laptop wirelessly without using itunes, I had to buy an ipad file manager app, even so it would only let me save back to that orig folder and when I was on local wifi, not over the internet so I am also not sure what you mean by network sharing and mounting.
    op, I just remembered quickoffice was bought by google, their sync app called connect has been shut down and users are directed to google drive. So your safe bet would be to buy apples suite of software--pages etc. I'm sure google doesn't like apples announcement yesterday that apple had its own mapping software now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P Mosh View Post
    So my question is which one costs less, which one has the better OS, which one is larger, and which one is better for documents, thanks!
    Touchpad has the better OS of course Being productive is more comfortable on the TP with the famous webOS multitasking capabilities. But iOS has its strengths, too.
    Both are the same size. iPad has the higher resolution (by far) and is probably lighter.
    Better for docs is the iPad, Pages is a full blown (ok not exactly like MS Word of Pages for OSX) word processor and there are great apps for PDF, GoodReader for example. And hundreds of other productivity apps.
    TP has QuickOffice or SmartOffice for example. They're not great but ok. Depends on what exactly you'd need to do.

Touchpad is a lot cheaper though. Why not give it a try? You can easily sell it if it's not your thing.

If you need to type a lot and handle docs, would a MBA or Asus Zenbook be an option?
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    If you get a Touchpad and put CM9 on it, you get Kingsoft Office for free. To me, that is far better than any WebOS document writer.

So, unless you are hung up on WebOS (which means the answer is iPad), then try a Touchpad first.

Alan
    I don't see any reason to install two document suites and then Linux on top of it just so you can get document productivity.

Sorry to say, but iOS and even Android smoke the hell out of webOS when it comes to this sort of thing. There's no comparison. With LibreOffice being ported to Android (which already has Google Docs and now QuickOffice), and MS Office going to iOS/iPad, well, that's pretty much all that needs to be said.

Looks like MS Office may be coming for Android as well: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gad...-november/5754
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    I don't see any reason to install two document suites and then Linux on top of it just so you can get document productivity.

Sorry to say, but iOS and even Android smoke the hell out of webOS when it comes to this sort of thing. There's no comparison. With LibreOffice being ported to Android (which already has Google Docs and now QuickOffice), and MS Office going to iOS/iPad, well, that's pretty much all that needs to be said.

Looks like MS Office may be coming for Android as well: Microsoft Office for iPad and Android tablets may be coming in November | ZDNet
    Thanks for the zdnet link (see below for the one I found for ipad). Reading the paragraph from zdnet below, I'm from Missouri, the "show me" state, so I will believe it on the ipad when I see it esp since MSFT is debuting their own new windows tablets in the fall. And now since Google owns quickoffice, I'm glad I bought smartoffice cheaply for the ipad ($0.99 and I think it might be that low also for the touchpad but am not sure if the sale is still on).

As long as I need more than one window open at a time as I described above, ie a browser open to do research while I'm emailing and looking through a doc, ipad not a choice for me. So OK to install more than one productivity app, I have a bunch of apps also installed on my ipad, about $45 worth, and I still can't do what I can do easily in webOS. And android not a choice for me because of all the information tracking.

As for itunes transfer, I will look into it, but I'm still unclear where the file goes once you transfer from the ipad to itunes. If I had to guess, I assume it sits in some itunes library.

Aah, I see in settings under itunes "automatically sync to itunes when your ipad is plugged into power." Never occurred to me that it needs to be plugged into the wall in order to sync. I've never plugged my ipad into power as I've used up the cord outlets for lamps and things near where I use it, the thought of taking out another proprietary plug or cable does not appeal as well. I have a cord right now that I use to attach it to the laptop and I power it when I need it, usually overnight, which is fine as I don't use the ipad that much. But good to know about the itunes syncing if I ever start using the ipad more.

All this to say I love the touchstone where you just sit the touchpad on the stand and it charges. I hope ipad gets one of those soon as I would buy it.

Microsoft Office for iPad: Separating fact from fiction | ZDNet
    "The Daily.com — the folks that brought us last year’s rumor that Microsoft planned to deliver Office for the iPad in 2012 — is back with an update.

On February 21, The Daily folks said that they had gotten a brief hands-on with Office on iPad. They also said they expected Office for iPad to be sent to Apple for approval “soon.” The Daily’s Matt Hickey is guessing that the release could be “in the coming weeks.”

Update: A Microsoft spokesperson said the screen shot accompanying The Daily’s story is not a picture of a real Microsoft software product. But the spokesperson also said Microsoft is declining to comment as to whether or not the company has developed a version of Office for the iPad and/or when such a product may come to market. I’ve asked Daily Editor Peter Ha and Matt Hickey, the author of The Daily’s piece, for a response (via Twitter). No word back so far from either."
    Doing what you described so much easier on ios since you can swipe back and forth through apps. Webos need to put the card in the background before you can switch which is so much slower.

Microsoft is a software company not hardware. There are many Microsoft apps on ios and even android.
    They might see keeping Office for their own tablets as an advantage and therefore hold it back from competitors. The industry calls them windows tablets but you are right that MSFT relies on hardware partners which have to be strictly approved by MSFT in order to make the windows tablets, MSFT does not make the hardware, they just oversee the partners and the specs. I read in the press that HTC was not approved by MSFT to make windows tablets which is making some people hope that HTC will broaden out from android into other OS's like webOS but too early to tell--we will probably need to see the openWebOS and the new browser coming in Aug/Sept before this question is answered.
    bluenote, I can't help but think you're really stretching by complaining about the proprietary iPhone/iPad connector. It's about as useful as complaining about Micro/Mini USB or even Apple's MagSafe in this day and age. Apple's 30-pin connector has been around since the old iPods, and you might as well complain about the astonishing array of electronics with iPod/iPhone/iPad docks these days.

Nonetheless, requiring three different document suites across two different platforms--one requiring an entirely different OS to be installed beforehand--is just nonsense from a productivity point of view and attempts to rationalize webOS as a productivity powerhouse despite clearly lacking a single powerful application that handles it all in order to back that assertion up. It's just another glaring hole in the patchwork ecosystem (if one can even call it that).
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Thanks for the zdnet link (see below for the one I found for ipad). Reading the paragraph from zdnet below, I'm from Missouri, the "show me" state, so I will believe it on the ipad when I see it esp since MSFT is debuting their own new windows tablets in the fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    They might see keeping Office for their own tablets as an advantage and therefore hold it back from competitors.
    If Microsoft thought that way, I wouldn't have been able to purchase the latest version for my Macbook Pro a few months ago. Microsoft Office hasn't been a Windows-only product in a long, long time so it doesn't surprise me one bit to hear that they're looking to maximize revenue by popping it onto other platforms.

Also, the article you posted was three months older than the one I posted; it's become all but officially confirmed at this point that MS Office is definitely coming to the iPad.

As for Android, it sure makes sense they'd spread Office around even more since they're making all that money off from licensing it as it is. With Android a global majority in smartphone marketshare, that's just more money in Microsoft's pockets and almost instant dominance thanks to Office's existing dominance on the corporate and home desktop. Integrating the two will cement it, while naysayers who've migrated to the Google Apps ecosystem (which many businesses have) will make up the remaining numbers.
    Last edited by dignitary; 06/13/2012 at 10:47 AM.
    The article you posted referenced the one I posted as the source for Office apps on IOS. There was no link in that article to an official source that office is coming to ipad, do you have one?

MSFT may view tablets different than the desktop. We shall see in the fall.
    My 2 cents...

I have a few Touchpads, the wife has one, the kids share one and I have my own.

I use QuickOffice and DropBox for my documents.

It's simple, and taking notes is fine... considering that I used my Lifedrive for years and a Zire 71 prior to that, using folding keyboards.

I'm on the ball to get Smart Office(had a taste of it for 99cents for my Pre2) and it does have more features.

So... for 200$ for a Touchpad, a Dropbox account (free for 2GB, which for documents is a LOT), you can't lose... 10$ for SmartOffice.

The alternatives are 3-4x the money.

If there's one thing I can say is that the fancier the document that someone presents me with, the more I'll find myself running it through a cleaning phase to get rid of all the crap code. I hate that.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    You are mixing hardware and O/S for a Touchpad. As I said before, the Touchpad (as hardware) is great.

WebOS lets it down (in terms of apps). So, install CM9 for free and download Kingsoft Office for free. Its better than either of the (paid for) WebOS office apps.

If you need WebOS, you can still boot back into it and see the files you used in CM9. So, no need to go to the iPad unless you want to embrace their ideology.

Alan
    So there you have it Op, I wish I had read a detailed discussion like this before I got the ipad3.

With Siri coming out in the fall on IOS6 for the ipad3 only and not the ipad2, you might see the ipad2 prices drop further so if you can wait until then, might be cheaper. Also by that time (Aug/Sept), openWebOS 1.0 is slated to debut with a faster browser and possibly openmobile porting the android apps to webOS running in a card alongside webOS apps.
    Why would anyone need to pay for dropbox? Box.net is completely useless since it doesn't have a desktop sync software unless you are a paying customer. I really hope all your hopes come true.
    Box sent me a link a few days ago for free sync desktop app
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast