webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Touchpad Must Restore Weekly/ Various Problems/ Doctor Stops at 72%
Touchpad Must Restore Weekly/ Various Problems/ Doctor Stops at 72%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan

Old 06/02/2012, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ok so I have perused the forums and can't seem to find a similar problem. I got my TP on Fire-sale day after having used the Pixi- on Sprint and Pre+, Pre2 on VZW (switched for it) so I am not a new user though I am not much a software guy so I never have much to contribute but I am not a "noob" by any stretch. I used my TP for about 3 months without problems with Preware and all the bells and whistles. For reasons I can't quite remember I had to restore my TP using the doctor and it stopped at 72%, tried it a total of 23 times all times it stopping at 72% which I read was when it installs default apps.

SO I finally just use it reinstall Preware and download the default Kernel thinking that was the problem. Tried to re doctor still no luck past 72%. Tried several different computers/laptops and cords both Palm usb cords and non Palm cords. Ever since that time it just doesn't seem to work right. Apps don't load properly, I have to restart it after using an app for an extended period and random restarts are an everyday occurrence. I love to use it and want to continue but after months of this and trying everything it has become infuriating.

Almost every 5 or 6 days I restart it after a hang up or turn it on after it being off and it sasy a restore is required. I then lose it for 2 or 3 hours while everything restores and redownloads. I tried the 3.0.4 and 3.0.5 doctors as well as previous versions. Any ideas would be tried immediately.
smilidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2012, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Tried running Doctor from a command prompt? It'll display errors to the console if there are any. Read the first sentence. How To Recover - WebOS Internals
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by smilidon likes this.
Thanked By: smilidon
Old 06/02/2012, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Tried running Doctor from a command prompt? It'll display errors to the console if there are any. Read the first sentence. How To Recover - WebOS Internals
How can it show output it doesn't work.
Old 06/02/2012, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilidon View Post
How can it show output it doesn't work.
It will show output. In fact, it shows output as long as your JRE works. Have you read the wiki page?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 06/02/2012, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
It will show output. In fact, it shows output as long as your JRE works. Have you read the wiki page?
I type in exactly what it says in the wiki into the command prompt but after is starts running the doctor nothing else shows up. I have no idea how to view the output as it doesn't give any clue as to how to do that. I can run it from the command line but I see 0 output there.
Old 06/02/2012, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Just say I am ******** how the hell can I see the output. I am so frustrated with this its unbelievable. I typed

cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin"
then...

java -jar <C:\Users\smilidon\Downloads\webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi>

which makes it say the syntax is incorrect and I know what that means but I don't know how to fix. I tried also adding the .jnlp at the end of the filename but it does nothing. I can type the full file name and run it from command line but it does nothing to show me anything. F'ing christ why wouldn't you just show the output by default if you made a product that was this buggy and bad.
Old 06/02/2012, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Also after trying to doctor another 50-60 times today out of frustration stopping at 72% every time on 4 different operating system and 5 different computers it now just says restore required after restoring every time. This is ********, also there is no way to see the output and no guidance on how to do so so I have no idea if it says anything or not. I'm ready to throw this thing why would they make it so incredibly difficult for no reason whatsoever. Just make it effing work, or at the very least give some f;'ing clue as to WHY it wont work. GRAH!
Old 06/03/2012, 04:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

download the 3.0.5 doctor here: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touch...5hstnhwifi.jar
rename the downloaded file from .zip to .jar, and then use that one from the command prompt:
Code:
java -jar C:\Users\smilidon\Downloads\webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar
at least then you can find out what might be going wrong. my recollection though is that at 72% it's basically done, it's just doing a verify. you might see some sort of message telling you that or maybe that the verify step is failing.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2012, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Do what johnsonx42 says, though you probably should omit the cd to JRE line, since that could change. Java should be included in the PATH variable by default. Remember that paths are delimited by double quotes, not angle brackets.
Old 06/03/2012, 06:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok so I ran it from command prompt and it worked without error. I feel extremely dumb but glad to have such a supportive community. Thanks for helping me out will post if I keep getting problems. Hopefully having a successful doctor fixes all. Sorry for the outbursts last night too was getting extremely frustrated.

**update** I can't get it to start correctly. I press for English then United States, sometimes the network connection screen comes up sometimes it doesn't but even when it does the spinning wheel comes up and then just stays there until I reset it with the 2 button reset. SHould I doctor or again or anyone have another idea?

***update**** Restarted again got to this point, now stuck here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0159.jpg (784.1 KB, 9 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by smilidon; 06/03/2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: update
Old 06/03/2012, 07:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Updated ^^

**Update** got it to kind of work but extremely slow and showing only 16gb?

Last edited by smilidon; 06/03/2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06/04/2012, 09:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

call HP tech support. Something is probably wrong with it.
Old 06/04/2012, 10:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

Installed preware then the default kernal (again) and all seems well. HP support was useless as always.
Old 06/04/2012, 11:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

yes, but after doctoring you shouldn't need to install any kernel, and none of this explains the ongoing problems you've had with it, nor why you suddenly show only 16gb (I'm assuming that it's supposed to be 32gb). you may have bad storage. I'd want to get HP to replace it before the warranty runs out in just a few months.

I've found it more productive to talk to HP support by live chat instead of over the phone. In live chat you can be much more clear about what is going on, and can steer the conversation in the right direction.
Old 12/26/2012, 12:10 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
download the 3.0.5 doctor here: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touch...5hstnhwifi.jar
rename the downloaded file from .zip to .jar, and then use that one from the command prompt:
Code:
java -jar C:\Users\smilidon\Downloads\webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar
at least then you can find out what might be going wrong. my recollection though is that at 72% it's basically done, it's just doing a verify. you might see some sort of message telling you that or maybe that the verify step is failing.
After trying a million things for three days and getting (sooo) close but no cigar, this code worked to fix my parents' touchpad (still unsure what was actually wrong and hope not to have this problem again). Thanks to you guys, I've become the family hero for the holiday. Many thanks!
newforwaste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doctor, restore, touchpad

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0