Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  1.    #1  
    If I need to leave my touchpad unused for an extended period (several months) what will happen to it? What advice as to doing that? TIA!!
    Turn it off. Depending on where you live, thinking humidity here, you may want to seal it up with some silica gel packs just to make sure it stays nice and dry. Really it should be fine though....same as any other electronic device that sits around.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    As for the battery, I recall reading somewhere that these Li ion batteries are happiest sitting at about 40% charge. (If someone who REALLY knows what they're talking about can correct this, feel free! )
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The above advice is incorrect.

Unfortunately the TouchPad burns through battery power at an alarming rate even when it is turned off. It will barely last 2 weeks on a fully charged battery when fully turned off (not sleeping, I mean as off as you can get it). If you leave it for a month, you will come back to a dead TouchPad and have to go through the difficulties you'll find described in the many "TouchPad dead, won't charge..." threads.

The only way to prevent a dead TouchPad is to charge it regularly (once a week), or leave it on a Touchstone charger at all times when not in use. If it goes completely dead and none of the revival methods work, the only choice may be to open the case and hit the battery with some direct-connect charging - or send it to HP to have them do it.

It's a serious design flaw which would probably have been rectified in version 2. It means that probably the eventual fate of all TouchPads is that they will die and not be revivable when left for too long without charging.
    Last edited by Semma2; 06/13/2012 at 09:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post

Unfortunately the TouchPad burns through battery power at an alarming rate even when it is turned off. It will barely last 2 weeks on a fully charged battery when fully turned off (not sleeping, I mean as off as you can get it). If you leave it for a month, you will come back to a dead TouchPad and have to go through the difficulties you'll find described in the many "TouchPad dead, won't charge..." threads.

The only way to prevent a dead TouchPad is to charge it regularly (once a week), or leave it on a Touchstone charger at all times when not in use. If it goes completely dead and none of the revival methods work, the only choice may be to open the case and hit the battery with some direct-connect charging - or send it to HP to have them do it.

It's a serious design flaw which would probably have been rectified in version 2. It means that probably the eventual fate of all TouchPads is that they will die and not be revivable when left for too long without charging.
    Not necessarily, I've had a spare TouchPad sitting in my closet for about six months now. When my wifes Touchpad mysteriously vanished a day before our wedding/honeymoon, I took it out and turned it on and it had about 30-40% battery left.

That was the very first time I turned that one on so maybe that made a difference, but I don't see how.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    As for the battery, I recall reading somewhere that these Li ion batteries are happiest sitting at about 40% charge. (If someone who REALLY knows what they're talking about can correct this, feel free! )
    Very good :-) How to Store Batteries – Battery University

Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post

I have read that post as well but can't copy it's information. I had my spare TP lying for at least 3 Month. Then I just opened it to charge the battery and the battery had around 50%. I charged it to 100%.
    I put it back and checked the state again about 3 Month later it had around 90% left.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I agree I've had to pawn my touchpad for about five months, being about 80% charged when I pawned it, when I retrieved it still had 60% left. It was turned off but almost no drain in five months at the pawn shop.