Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By bluenote
  1.    #1  
    While looking into the whole mess of WebOS, with employees leaving WebOS to go instead to the dark-side to join Google and seeing HP playing the silly game of being stubborn of not releasing any hardware. I was reading the news of Microsoft Xbox system releasing Amazon Prime video for their gaming system console. And seeing the company Amazon investing into the cloud storage and having built an empire with it comes to movies and music stores with their amazing apps. And you look at the HP TouchPad, its ridiculous that you can't even watch neither rent/buy movies on the device while Apple has iTunes. No wonder HP didn't even convinced nobody to purchase the tablet with such a weak ecosystem. They should had focus the weaknesses of the WebOS platform and strengthen them to make them viable for the consumer to purchase WebOS products.

    That is something that still makes me shake my head until this very moment, When HP announced(a year ago) the HP TouchPad with the Kindle app and speaking of the partnership.....Why not also make a partnership with them[Amazon] to create that applications for the WebOS so we[users] have the ability to rent/buy content from the huge library selections of the Amazon Prime Video and music store. Instead, HP stupidly release this mediocre app called the "HP movie store" that still have tons of software bugs (e.g. video trailers not playing among other things) that will never get work out. Why HP wasn't smart enough to convince Amazon to put their services for the WebOS platform, I think that WebOS could a fair a bit better if they would had dealt with the entertainment part of the tablet which is one of the top reasons people go buy an iPad(iTunes whole ecosystem of apps, music, and movie).
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  2. #2  
    i don't think you'll get much argument from anyone here about the weak ecosystem the touchpad was released into. That said, there was the potential and i think these would have developed further had HP given the touchpad to develop in the market. But this is all a moot point now.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  3. #3  
    Just wondering (since I haven't used it) ... Does the HP MovieStore not work anymore?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Just wondering (since I haven't used it) ... Does the HP MovieStore not work anymore?
    helloNNNewman,

    To put it lightly, the HP movie store it works but it's not short of many disappointments. I think it was a colossal mistake of HP to release such an application to rent movies, it just to many bugs of the store like not being able to watch movies on the HP TouchPad comfortably because it just so poor quality app that I rather watch movies on my ipod touch. Sorry, apple devices sre more easier and painless experience when it comes to the itunes store than HP silly efforts of bringing movie content to the touchpad.
  5. #5  
    There's an HP Movie Store? Must be U.S. only.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

  6. Sylo's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    #6  
    I'm not sure about this, but how long has the Amazon Prime Instant Video service been around? The Touchpad was released 11 months ago...so a partnership would of had to of been set up well over a year ago. Sure, the 360 is getting an app NOW, but why would HP even bother partnering with Amazon now, after they cancelled webOS?

    Yes, the HP Movie Store isn't good, but everythings gotta start somewhere, right? Was iTunes perfect when it released? Had the Touchpad sold well, HP could have made improvements to their Movie Store, and then it we'd be talking about how it was genius that they included it.

    Doesn't matter now, obviously. I just wouldn't go around blaming their lack of a proper movie store for it's downfall. I wouldn't even blame the lack of apps as the sole reason it failed (though that didn't help). The iPhone didn't have apps at first. The iPad didn't have a lot of tablet apps. The apps could have come later. Blame management, price, marketing, management (did I mention management?).
  7. #7  
    What annoys me the most is that you cannot buy a movie/show on your computer and have it available on your TouchPad or vice versa. The HP Movie Store is powered by RoxioNow and has a limited selection, yet CinemaNow has a full featured selection and both are owned by Rovi. Who designed this confusing service with two similar names, different movie/show selections and each supporting different devices?
  8. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #8  
    Considering that the Kindle Fire has been sold at a loss and is still being declared a massive sales dud in Q1 (after briefly enjoyed some sales success during the Christmas holidays) --- nothing would have worked.
  9. #9  
    I brought a touchpad, a Fire and ipad3 on vacation as I thought I might need to send a bunch of emails with attachments for work.

    I barely touched the ipad 3. I used the Fire to watch netflix at night before going to sleep.

    I used the touchpad most of all as it was the one pad that allowed me to have the emails open, the spreadsheets open with the email lists and the browser cards open to google the names, all at the same time. It also allowed me my choice of app to open the spreadsheets.
    As an aside I took daily notes on it. And, best of all, I had 3-4 files each day on sdcards which I was able to upload easily to the touchpad and I knew instantly where they were on the device.

    So I sure am hoping OpenWebOS gets its act together or I am going to crying (or swearing) soon.
    mafu6, Rnp and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I brought a touchpad, a Fire and ipad3 on vacation as I thought I might need to send a bunch of emails with attachments for work.

    I barely touched the ipad 3. I used the Fire to watch netflix at night before going to sleep.
    The iPad 3 works with Netflix. Why watch on the Kindle fire?

    What spreadsheet did you use with the Touchpad?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by DS_Palm_Lvr View Post
    There's an HP Movie Store? Must be U.S. only.
    Yup.

    Just like the Kindle support - also not available outside of US.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    The iPad 3 works with Netflix. Why watch on the Kindle fire?

    What spreadsheet did you use with the Touchpad?
    Was trying to get to sleep so the 7in fire worked better than a 10in, also the way the fire had the netflix app on top of its stack was very easy to use. I know there is a search function somewhere on the ipad, I don't like going back to the homescreen or even 4 finger swiping to get to the bottom of the window to find the most used apps--I've been spoiled by the quickness of just type.

    On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of android so I only use the Fire for 1 or 2 things (got a used Fire cheap) but in the case of Netflix it works out handily. If webOS goes down (fingers crossed it rises like a phoenix), I'm likely to switch to the ipad for daily use.

    For spreadsheets, I alternated between quickoffice, picsel and using linux calc. In the end, once I began editing, I chose linux calc mainly because the spreadsheets were long and there were more than one so I wanted a robust desktop application, I did not want to mess with the way Picsel has you edit and I'm not a big fan of the way quickoffice displays large amounts of data. At any rate, neither quickoffice or picsel will let you cut and paste into an email so I would have had to type the email addresses by hand any way I chose. I loved loved loved the way I could use a file manager at any time to know where my files were.

    The webOS mail app held up well, it let me easily cut and paste from one email to another keeping the same formatting and add the attachment, I felt like it was a good workhorse for a tablet.
  13. #13  
    So you are carrying 3 tablets with you because you don't like a home button or multi finger swipe and you like just type?

    A laptop takes less room to travel than 3 tablets.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    So you are carrying 3 tablets with you because you don't like a home button or multi finger swipe and you like just type?

    A laptop takes less room to travel than 3 tablets.
    It was my first long trip after getting the Fire and the ipad3 and I wanted to see if I would use them over the TouchPad and if so, how? The next trips I take will not be so easy and I am unlikely to be able to handle all 3 tablets so I will have to make a choice. This trip was a good way to start exploring.

    The Fire is easy as I could use it for netflix when I want a small package. The ipad3 I still need to do a lot of exploring to find out how it would suit my particular needs.

    But It turned out the TouchPad satisfied my needs as I don't anticipate needing netflix on the next few trips, putting a few movies on the touchpad or connecting via pogoplug might work if I need video.

    I could take my laptop on my next few trips but it is heavier than the TouchPad and the battery does not last as long. Also I am out of warranty and it is my main machine at home so I don't want to risk. Additionally it is carrying a lot of information that I do not need to travel with.

    I sure hope OpenwebOS flourishes.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    It was my first long trip after getting the Fire and the ipad3 and I wanted to see if I would use them over the TouchPad and if so, how? The next trips I take will not be so easy and I am unlikely to be able to handle all 3 tablets so I will have to make a choice. This trip was a good way to start exploring.

    The Fire is easy as I could use it for netflix when I want a small package. The ipad3 I still need to do a lot of exploring to find out how it would suit my particular needs.

    But It turned out the TouchPad satisfied my needs as I don't anticipate needing netflix on the next few trips, putting a few movies on the touchpad or connecting via pogoplug might work if I need video.

    I could take my laptop on my next few trips but it is heavier than the TouchPad and the battery does not last as long. Also I am out of warranty and it is my main machine at home so I don't want to risk. Additionally it is carrying a lot of information that I do not need to travel with.

    I sure hope OpenwebOS flourishes.
    I never use our laptops/netbook any more. It's TP or desktop in office.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  16. bearda's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylo View Post
    I'm not sure about this, but how long has the Amazon Prime Instant Video service been around? The Touchpad was released 11 months ago...so a partnership would of had to of been set up well over a year ago. Sure, the 360 is getting an app NOW, but why would HP even bother partnering with Amazon now, after they cancelled webOS?

    Yes, the HP Movie Store isn't good, but everythings gotta start somewhere, right? Was iTunes perfect when it released? Had the Touchpad sold well, HP could have made improvements to their Movie Store, and then it we'd be talking about how it was genius that they included it.

    Doesn't matter now, obviously. I just wouldn't go around blaming their lack of a proper movie store for it's downfall. I wouldn't even blame the lack of apps as the sole reason it failed (though that didn't help). The iPhone didn't have apps at first. The iPad didn't have a lot of tablet apps. The apps could have come later. Blame management, price, marketing, management (did I mention management?).
    Microsoft has been slow on the uptake of online services, though. The xbox has never been cutting edge when it came to third party content. I seem to remember the TiVo Premire and Roku having access for close to a year now, though.

Posting Permissions