Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I've installed the newest Novacom drivers but when I connect my TP to my PC, the PC has only seen the TP once. I've tried the original USB cable that shipped with the TP and an aftermarket cable. I've searched these forums and others on the web and can't seem to find an answer.

The only time it showed up as a drive on the PC was when I turned off developer mode. Since then, the PC won't see it no matter the state of developer mode. Any thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Try different USB ports, ie all of them. It must be in developer mode, so turn that back on.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    are you just trying to get it visible as a USB drive? if so, you don't need it in develepor mode (although it won't hurt to just leave it on all the time).
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    sledge007 likes this.
    The TP is definitely finicky when connecting to the PC regardless of windows version.

When I have issues connecting:
    - reinstall novacom (through WOSI functionality)
    - confirm developer mode on
    - use different USB port (on my HP laptop, for example, it only works in the USB slots on the right, not the left !!)
    - In the end, I believe the cable is the usual culprit. I have two TPs and a number of phones; each cable has sometimes worked and sometimes not.

It's fustrating. But good luck! You'll get it to work.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    I've yet to have any trouble connecting any Palm or HP devices (Pre, Pre2, 3 Touchpads) to get them in USB mode, the worse in the whole having to make sure that you eject them (right-click on drive letter).

Are you getting anything at all when you plug them in... device recognized or anything?
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    My TP likes linux.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    creepingmee likes this.
    Check in Device manager to see if there are any unknown devices or devices with yellow exclamation marks, remove them and refresh.
    Sometimes XP will try to assign the drive letter of an existing drive to your phone/touchpad/usb drive. Check the drive manager under administrative tools. You can change the assigned drive letter there.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 05/18/2012 at 08:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    My TP likes linux.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Me too!!
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Unplug all usb devices. Reboot and reconnect them one by one.

Other Stuff:

shows how to fix if problem is due to OHCI controller being set in suspended state.

how to assign drive

Tips for solving problems with USB devices has utility. Supposed to fix it automatically. I don't know if it works on XP.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The TP is definitely finicky when connecting to the PC regardless of windows version.

When I have issues connecting:
    - reinstall novacom (through WOSI functionality)
    - confirm developer mode on
    - use different USB port (on my HP laptop, for example, it only works in the USB slots on the right, not the left !!)
    - In the end, I believe the cable is the usual culprit. I have two TPs and a number of phones; each cable has sometimes worked and sometimes not.

It's fustrating. But good luck! You'll get it to work.
    Can you explain the process of reinstalling the novacom driver through "WOSI functionality"? I'm aware of the driver but not the WOSI part.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Check in Device manager to see if there are any unknown devices or devices with yellow exclamation marks, remove them and refresh.
    I do have an unknown device listed under "storage volumes". It shows up as a "generic volume". Do I remove it by clicking "uninstall"? After that, with method do I use to refresh?
    Usually when you connect the TP there should be a drive showing up without media. Tell the TP to go into USB Drive mode and then you should be able to access its files.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Usually when you connect the TP there should be a drive showing up without media. Tell the TP to go into USB Drive mode and then you should be able to access its files.
    When I first plug in the TP, nothing changes on my computer. The only change occurs on the TP, when it asks if I want to enter USB mode. After clicking yes, nothing ever changes on my PC.

I've tried 2 different cables on all 6 USB ports on my laptop with no luck.
    Does Device Manager show an invalid device when you plug the TP in?

(Tip: Get USB Safely Remove and it'll tell you if the computer detects the device by popping up a box when the TP is being plugged in.)
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Device Manager pops up a "generic volume" with the yellow exclamation point once the TP is plugged into any USB port. Nothing changes when I enter USB mode on the TP.

I downloaded USB Safely Remove and the program shows 3 programs that are "hidden from the menu" when the TP is plugged into the laptop. The progams are:

USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Composite Device
    Palm Novacom

This is amazingly frustrating.
    So what does it say on the properties sheet of the generic volume in Device Manager? There should be a box with error information on the first tab.
    I see two other possibilities...

1) your version of XP is corrupted and having trouble loading the drivers correctly... you'd have to reinstall Windows, which if you haven't in a while, might be a good thing regardless.

2) are you certain that you have all updates (service packs 2 and 3 ) on it?
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    I hate to be the guy who points out obvious stuff, but have you gone to control panel and done a search for/install plug and play devices? It has to be some random security setting on your pc.

my first thought was "don't feel bad, windows xp can't touch MC Hammer either"...
    just search in webOSnation for Jason's novcom installer app and download it to your computer and then reboot both your pc and device and try again. Providing cables and USB socket are in proper working order, this should do the trick.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast