Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    Is HP`s Todd Bradley hinting webOS tablets on the HP`s tablets roadmap?

    In a recent Q&A session made at the HP Global Influencer Summit 2012, held over two days in Shanghai last week, the first question asked of Mr Todd Bradley, head of HP's newly merged Personal and Printing Systems (PPS) Group, was about tablets, he dropped hints that there may be more to its tablet strategy that the world has yet to see.

    "That's not to say that (our stated strategy) is forever. I think it's clear that the market's evolved, the market's changed," he said. "I think when we announce the roadmap for tablets you'll see a very compelling solution set that the tablet becomes part of."

    HP's senior vice-president for the Asia-Pacific region for the PPS group, Mr Dion Wiesler echoed Todd Bradley saying:

    "I think what we've learned about tablet devices are that they benefit from three key things. Always on, always connected, thin and light, long battery life,"

    Sounds like a webos tablet on HP`s roadmap . After all we take HP`s CEO Meg Whitman word :
    HP wanted to clarify that Whitman said HP could make WebOS-powered tablets in 2013.

    While we know that HP is ceasing development of WebOS in phones, itís interesting that the company is continuing to bet on the OS in tablets, said techcrunch.

    With respect to whether HP can be a consumer and an enterprise company, Whitman believes that the company can continue to do both and says that the companyís current strength is that it is able to be successful in both product areas. ďIf you ask any guy on the street about what HP is known for, it would be computers,Ē she says, in an interview made by techcrunch

    Source: TODAYonline | Tech & Digital | Digital | HP unveils a thin and light future

    Before post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...os-tablet.html
    renater and jguzmanspj like this.
  2. #2  
    nope, it's a Win 8 tablet i'm sure. They'll have an x86 and ARM tablet if they are smart.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    nope, it's a Win 8 tablet i'm sure. They'll have an x86 and ARM tablet if they are smart.
    Architecture of a tablet is completely meaningless to consumers.

    Consider that most consumers believe that there's an "Apple iPad' and an "Android iPad", and that's it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  4.    #4  
    I know the success of a new webos tablet is uphill . However if HP takes the wrong to right surprising things may happen.

    I have this feeling they are in contact with tablets hardware makers already for webos open source and some kind of agreements might come for new devices , HP branded with webOS (like Google Nexus but it is a Samsung hardware)
  5. #5  
    People will buy the tablet that fits their needs. What would a WebOS tablet bring to the table that isn't already in the marketplace?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    People will buy the tablet that fits their needs. What would a WebOS tablet bring to the table that isn't already in the marketplace?
    Simple. A decent tablet operating system. And don't make me laugh by claiming iOS or Android are decent tablet operating systems. Playbook OS 2.0 is really the only other decent one.
    renater likes this.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
    Simple. A decent tablet operating system. And don't make me laugh by claiming iOS or Android are decent tablet operating systems. Playbook OS 2.0 is really the only other decent one.
    The Playbook is now $199.00 new.
  8. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
    Simple. A decent tablet operating system. And don't make me laugh by claiming iOS or Android are decent tablet operating systems. Playbook OS 2.0 is really the only other decent one.
    If HP can get rid of the lag and sluggishness on webOS they have the best OS out there. Haven't we talked about it forever ?
  9.    #9  
    Guys Do you think HP might launch a tablet with both Windows 8 and webOS?
    treodoc755 likes this.
  10. #10  
    Do you think they will issue a coupon for an ice cream cone with the dual boot Win 8/webOS tablets?
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

    jjacobs likes this.
  11. #11  
    trying to decipher what anyone from HP says or means is pretty much impossible. Expect more low key support for the openwebos project and meeting of the already stated timelines and a big push on windows 8 based tablets in the later part of this year.

    I would bet my house that the first hardware running openwebos will NOT have an HP badge on it
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    trying to decipher what anyone from HP says or means is pretty much impossible. Expect more low key support for the openwebos project and meeting of the already stated timelines and a big push on windows 8 based tablets in the later part of this year.

    I would bet my house that the first hardware running openwebos will NOT have an HP badge on it
    I wouldn't be so sure and living in a box is not great Although someone might be able to make open webOS run on an existing Anddoid tablet. There has been a couple of signals e.g. HP hiring people, interesting 1 april fool setup, total silence by a number of people under NDAs and the hints OP is referring to. I agree it's still hard to decipher with just loose bits and pieces, but i think something interesting is about to happen in next 6 months or so. They would be silly to miss the Xmas sales and only betting on Windows 8. But again we have seen crazier things happening.

    Best we can do is keeping platform alive (see e.g. thread by filmor adding support for msn icq, facebook etc in Synergy)
  13. #13  
    The PC division of HP needs tablets to keep competing and have products with relatively nice margins.

    They'll go with W8 and see if that works - but hediging their bets - because the success of W8 is far from certain at this point. It could be a success eventually - but it could also easily be the next Vista.

    If W8 is a great success they'll let webos die - or at least won't invest anymore.

    If W8 flops they still need a tablet OS. IOS is not an option - which leaves them - at that point - with Android or webos.
    Android is not a big success so far on tablets (but might seriously take off next year or so - we'll see). Also there's currently a lot of legal battles around Android and Google buying Motorola
    Furthermore Oracle is busy creating doubts whether Java is still a safe platform to invest in.

    webos is a good fallback option to have - and gives HP more control over the platform than anybody else. Plus it can be sueful to have your own platform to distinguish yourself from the competition (if you can make enough apps appear and convince comnsumers that you are a competitive option).

    I wouldn't bet HP to go big on webos anytime soon. And I think they are wrong if they think that they can really successfully push a tablet platform without any smartphones linked to that platform (so they would at least need a partner or 2 that is interested in producing smartphones with webos).

    Long story short - it doesn't really matter what HP is saying right now. They themselves don't know for sure what they'll push to market in late 2013 (W8 tanking or selling well will influence a lot by then). We'll know more in a year or so. I'm sure they'll won't sell (or even announce) a webos tablet in 2012.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    akitayo likes this.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure and living in a box is not great Although someone might be able to make open webOS run on an existing Anddoid tablet. There has been a couple of signals e.g. HP hiring people, interesting 1 april fool setup, total silence by a number of people under NDAs and the hints OP is referring to. I agree it's still hard to decipher with just loose bits and pieces, but i think something interesting is about to happen in next 6 months or so. They would be silly to miss the Xmas sales and only betting on Windows 8. But again we have seen crazier things happening.

    Best we can do is keeping platform alive (see e.g. thread by filmor adding support for msn icq, facebook etc in Synergy)
    I'm running filmor's patch and it is awesome - If he somehow added support for office communicator I would donate $50 immediately. Thats the one IM tool I use constantly for work and being able to do this on my touchpad (without using a super flaky web based version) would be a huge help.

    Supporting the homebrew editions of pivot and the ongoing support of webos dev's who are committed to the platform are also critical to the webos community.

    Taking tidbits out of things Todd Bradely has said and equating them to a future HP webos based tablet is like adding 2 and 2 to get 47. Its nothing more than wishful thinking in my opinion.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    The PC division of HP needs tablets to keep competing and have products with relatively nice margins.

    They'll go with W8 and see if that works - but hediging their bets - because the success of W8 is far from certain at this point. It could be a success eventually - but it could also easily be the next Vista.

    If W8 is a great success they'll let webos die - or at least won't invest anymore.

    If W8 flops they still need a tablet OS. IOS is not an option - which leaves them - at that point - with Android or webos.
    Android is not a big success so far on tablets (but might seriously take off next year or so - we'll see). Also there's currently a lot of legal battles around Android and Google buying Motorola
    Furthermore Oracle is busy creating doubts whether Java is still a safe platform to invest in.

    webos is a good fallback option to have - and gives HP more control over the platform than anybody else. Plus it can be sueful to have your own platform to distinguish yourself from the competition (if you can make enough apps appear and convince comnsumers that you are a competitive option).

    I wouldn't bet HP to go big on webos anytime soon. And I think they are wrong if they think that they can really successfully push a tablet platform without any smartphones linked to that platform (so they would at least need a partner or 2 that is interested in producing smartphones with webos).

    Long story short - it doesn't really matter what HP is saying right now. They themselves don't know for sure what they'll push to market in late 2013 (W8 tanking or selling well will influence a lot by then). We'll know more in a year or so. I'm sure they'll won't sell (or even announce) a webos tablet in 2012.
    Good point
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    I'm running filmor's patch and it is awesome - If he somehow added support for office communicator I would donate $50 immediately. Thats the one IM tool I use constantly for work and being able to do this on my touchpad (without using a super flaky web based version) would be a huge help.

    Supporting the homebrew editions of pivot and the ongoing support of webos dev's who are committed to the platform are also critical to the webos community.

    Taking tidbits out of things Todd Bradely has said and equating them to a future HP webos based tablet is like adding 2 and 2 to get 47. Its nothing more than wishful thinking in my opinion.
    I would call it hope
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
    Simple. A decent tablet operating system. And don't make me laugh by claiming iOS or Android are decent tablet operating systems. Playbook OS 2.0 is really the only other decent one.
    That you think that is a satisfactory answer makes me chuckle. The huge majority of the buying public on the entire planet thinks IOS is a perfectly decent tablet OS. That you don't is barely relevant. Whomever makes a tablet, for it to be a success, doesn't need to impress you. They need to impress that huge majority. They have to convince them to buy something other then an ios tablet. And merely saying "it's decent" is not nearly a satisfactory answer to the question "what's webos tablet bring to the table that isn't already in the marketplace?" It's nothing more then a snarky punchline to make the minute number of current webos fans feel good. But say that in to a customer, say that at an OS unveiling without tangible examples of things that aren't just different but matter to that huge majority, and the huge majority of potential consumers will respond to you're claim that "it's a decent OS" with "So what?"

    Further, decent, better, worse, or whatever, the massive majority of people don't buy a device to play around in the operating system. They buy it to play around in the apps. They don't pick up the phone to multitask. They don't pick it up to notification. They are means to and end. People typically, text, email, play a game, browse, etc. Their main act isn't like "i'm notificationing" "i'm app switching." They are simply features. What Open webos needs to do is add both features and all the things that apps allow people to do. Many the just won't be able to do but you need cloud backups and cloud storage, you need deals with companies like netflix to stream content. They need deals like they had with amazon to buy mp3s and kindle to have a kindle app. Take Kindles. People aren't buying Kindles based on it's notifications. They are buying them to accomplish a task, reading a book. Funny, and a kindle fire commercial just came on tv.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    I would call it hope
    hope, wishful thinking, blissfull ignorance, burying your head in the sand..whats the difference?

    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    The PC division of HP needs tablets to keep competing and have products with relatively nice margins.

    They'll go with W8 and see if that works - but hediging their bets - because the success of W8 is far from certain at this point. It could be a success eventually - but it could also easily be the next Vista.

    If W8 is a great success they'll let webos die - or at least won't invest anymore.

    If W8 flops they still need a tablet OS. IOS is not an option - which leaves them - at that point - with Android or webos.
    Android is not a big success so far on tablets (but might seriously take off next year or so - we'll see). Also there's currently a lot of legal battles around Android and Google buying Motorola
    Furthermore Oracle is busy creating doubts whether Java is still a safe platform to invest in.

    webos is a good fallback option to have - and gives HP more control over the platform than anybody else. Plus it can be sueful to have your own platform to distinguish yourself from the competition (if you can make enough apps appear and convince comnsumers that you are a competitive option).

    I wouldn't bet HP to go big on webos anytime soon. And I think they are wrong if they think that they can really successfully push a tablet platform without any smartphones linked to that platform (so they would at least need a partner or 2 that is interested in producing smartphones with webos).

    Long story short - it doesn't really matter what HP is saying right now. They themselves don't know for sure what they'll push to market in late 2013 (W8 tanking or selling well will influence a lot by then). We'll know more in a year or so. I'm sure they'll won't sell (or even announce) a webos tablet in 2012.
    I think also they are going to make a really big play this fall with win8 tablets, simply because its growing so fast (read on bloomberg it is growing 90% while pcs are growing mid single digits). HP has to get into the tablet field and they are counting riding on MSFT coat tails and probably getting a lot of enterprise support. (they could bundle the tablets with pcs or software and services and therefore try to get bigger orders).

    This day is going to be hard for webOS lovers as we will see HP MSFT tablets advertised all over in the channel and nothing for webOS.

    Hopefully we will have openWebOS by that time, and some OEMs will come sniffing.
  20. #20  
    I think you're reaching.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions