Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes
    With many people running Android on their TPs, for WebOS to make a comeback, it's going to need to address a lot of issues to make anyone care.

There isn't going to be another $100 TP, no matter what the OS, so it's going to have to compete.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I think you're reaching.
    Android manufacturers have to find a way to differentiate themselves and a webOS tablet that can also run android apps might start to look good.
    still don't understand why they couldn't release a tablet that dual boots webOS and Win 8?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    still don't understand why they couldn't release a tablet that dual boots webOS and Win 8?
    Because M$ locked the ARM version of Win 8 to be SINGLE boot Of course this can be rooted/hacked whatever, but you won't see that coming from HP, I'm quite sure about that
    But webos can run on x86, just hasn't 'offically' yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Because M$ locked the ARM version of Win 8 to be SINGLE boot Of course this can be rooted/hacked whatever, but you won't see that coming from HP, I'm quite sure about that
    Unless W8 fails they don't really have much reason anymore to use webos. Sure it would be better to have their own big OS - but they obviously decided that it is not worth the money/risk.

The big question is whether W8 succeeds, crashes or idles along.
    W8 willl be a big risky step for all involved. None of the existing Windows apps (unless running on an intermediate platform like Java or .Net) will run on W8 on ARM.

So at start users will only have MS Office (no doubt alrready ported by MS - but possibly not feature complete compared with Vista/W7 version) and whoever else MS can convince or bribe.to port their Apps to.

Plus the (Metro) UI will be very different and unfamiliar to existing users.

And these are the 2 primary reasons (compatibility ad familiarity) people continue using Windows. It's certainly not for the stability and security or low price.
    It's entirely possible that W8 could tank worse than Vista. And Vista was a dud.
    Last edited by tholap; 05/22/2012 at 01:50 AM.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Unless W8 fails they don't really have much reason anymore to use webos. Sure it would be better to have their own big OS - but they obviously decided that it is not worth the money/risk.

The big question is whether W8 succeeds, crashes or idles along.
    W8 willl be a big risky step for all involved. None of the existing Windows apps (unless running on an intermediate platform like Java or .Net) will run on W8 on ARM.

So at start users will only have MS Office (no doubt alrready ported by MS - but possibly not feature complete compared with Vista/W7 version) and whoever else MS can convince or bribe.to port their Apps to.

Plus the (Metro) UI will be very different and unfamiliar to existing users.

And these are the 2 primary reasons (compatibility ad familiarity) people continue using Windows. It's certainly not for the stability and security or low price.
    It's entirely possible that W8 could tank worse than Vista. And Vista was a dud.
    HP's Microsoft based tablets will be aimed at their corporate customers (where HP's market share is strong) and not consumers. In that market, its much more important to fit a product into a corporate IT structure, (which is predominantly windows based) so that will be where the success of these tablets will be defined. Any crossover success into the consumer space will likely be more incidental than intended.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post

At least in the current beta, Visual Studio 11 Express only supports making Metro apps. Not desktop apps. So it's possible Microsoft is planning on solving this by diverting many current developers from desktop apps to Metro apps that will run on Metro. Another example of how the introduction of Metro on the desktop is not about the desktop at all, it is a way to leverage their Windows market share to take control of the tablet market.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    At least in the current beta, Visual Studio 11 Express only supports making Metro apps. Not desktop apps. So it's possible Microsoft is planning on solving this by diverting many current developers from desktop apps to Metro apps that will run on Metro. Another example of how the introduction of Metro on the desktop is not about the desktop at all, it is a way to leverage their Windows market share to take control of the tablet market.
    I keep on reading posts like this and getting confused, can't seem to keep it straight.

Thought Metro were the apps running on the tablet , called WinXT or something like that?
    And Win8 was a full desktop version like what we have now only the interface will have those metro tiles with the option also to go back to the old WIn desktop screen with file explorer etc, did I get this right?
    And how do the 2 fit together?
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I keep on reading posts like this and getting confused, can't seem to keep it straight.

Thought Metro were the apps running on the tablet , called WinXT or something like that?
    And Win8 was a full desktop version like what we have now only the interface will have those metro tiles with the option also to go back to the old WIn desktop screen with file explorer etc, did I get this right?
    And how do the 2 fit together?
    Metro is the boxy looking interface with no task bar. Metro apps can be used on everything - including devices with ARM processors, which will include some tablets although it could also be netbooks and other low-power devices. Those types of devices will run Windows RT.

The desktop interface is mostly for full-blown computers with x86 type processors. Apps written for the desktop interface will not work on Windows RT (low-power devices with ARM processors). The exception is that the version of Office for Windows RT will still need a desktop mode. So Windows RT will still have one. You just won't be able to run most programs in it.

You'll be able to switch back and forth between the desktop interface and the Metro interface. You'll have to because some apps will be located on one, some on the other.

If this seems preposterously inane, I've explained it correctly. It's really not about the desktop in my opinion. It is a grab for domination of the tablet, by pretending to merge their desktop and mobile operating systems, but actually by making you spend at least some of your time on the computer using low-power apps. It's really kind of like if they had built WebOS into Windows so you could run your tablet apps full-screen, and then pretended this meant you were running the same OS on your tablet and on your computer. (Except... well... that would have been cool.)
    You forgot that MSFT is trying to get users to *not* use the old desktop. Otherwise quite accurate.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12