Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By joeytino
  • 1 Post By joeytino
  • 1 Post By Nafetz
  1.    #1  
    Good Evening friends.
    I have a touchpad with both webos and cm9. Speakers were working fine till a few days back on both the os. But suddenly it stopped working on both the OSes. there is sound on headphones but speakers are out. i have tried searching for solutions but nothing worked. i have erased everything including both the oses and other data. I went back to webos 3.0 but still theres no sound. So is it possible that its a hardware problem even though there was no physical damage or anything? please help.
    Thank you for your time.
    Regards.
    one thing worth trying is a patch in preware that forces the sound driver to restart.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    one thing worth trying is a patch in preware that forces the sound driver to restart.
    i have tried pulse audio restarter but it does not work.
    which patch are you talkin about. can u please give its name? Thank you.
    There's a diagnostic utility under Device Info's menu which you can try. If it doesn't work even after doctoring it's very likely a hardware problem.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
    There's a diagnostic utility under Device Info's menu which you can try. If it doesn't work even after doctoring it's very likely a hardware problem.
    Ya i tried tat man, but still its not working...
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Have you tried the unmute button? Sound turned down maybe? Just throwing it out there not being a smarta$$ . Its happened before.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by sarathi443 View Post
    Good Evening friends.
    I have a touchpad with both webos and cm9. Speakers were working fine till a few days back on both the os. But suddenly it stopped working on both the OSes. there is sound on headphones but speakers are out. i have tried searching for solutions but nothing worked. i have erased everything including both the oses and other data. I went back to webos 3.0 but still theres no sound. So is it possible that its a hardware problem even though there was no physical damage or anything? please help.
    Thank you for your time.
    Regards.
    did you solve this issue? I'm experiencing the same thing now.
    Has anyone made any headway on this issue?
    I have the same problem. I've done a factory reset of WebOS as well as installed CM9 to see if it was WebOS related, but neither will output audio to the speakers. The headphone jack works fine...
    Hi,
    I was very surprised, when my Touchpad's speakers decided to not working any more on Sunday evening. The last time I remember them working was Saturday evening. The time between was only one unusual event: Going to my car for about 5 minutes and driving about 45 minutes with outside temperatures of about 5 C (41 F).
    I didn't know of this speaker problem before, but I found a lot of old posts about that issue in this forum - which unfortunately didn't help so far.

This is what I tried without success:
    - Pressing Power-button and main button together for 15 seconds until device shutdown
    - Pressing Power-button for a few seconds until popup menu appears, then press cancel
    - Pressing Power-button for a few seconds until popup menu appears, then press shutdown
    - Doing all the tests in the device-info app
    - Rebooting touchpad out of the device-info app
    - Setting mute in the menu of the main screen, and disable mute
    - Using app Audio Switch to switch between Headset and Back Speaker
    - Using Xterm to stop pulseaudio and start pulseaudio
    - Using Xterm to stop audiod and start audiod
    - Using the sounds app to turn all switches off and on again

Is there anything else I can try?

I read of one user having success in reconnecting the speaker's cables.
    Does anybody know how a Touchpad looks if it was disassembled and put together again? I read that some parts inside will break when the device is opened...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafetz View Post
    Hi,
    I was very surprised, when my Touchpad's speakers decided to not working any more on Sunday evening. The last time I remember them working was Saturday evening. The time between was only one unusual event: Going to my car for about 5 minutes and driving about 45 minutes with outside temperatures of about 5 C (41 F).
    I didn't know of this speaker problem before, but I found a lot of old posts about that issue in this forum - which unfortunately didn't help so far.

This is what I tried without success:
    - Pressing Power-button and main button together for 15 seconds until device shutdown
    - Pressing Power-button for a few seconds until popup menu appears, then press cancel
    - Pressing Power-button for a few seconds until popup menu appears, then press shutdown
    - Doing all the tests in the device-info app
    - Rebooting touchpad out of the device-info app
    - Setting mute in the menu of the main screen, and disable mute
    - Using app Audio Switch to switch between Headset and Back Speaker
    - Using Xterm to stop pulseaudio and start pulseaudio
    - Using Xterm to stop audiod and start audiod
    - Using the sounds app to turn all switches off and on again

Is there anything else I can try?

I read of one user having success in reconnecting the speaker's cables.
    Does anybody know how a Touchpad looks if it was disassembled and put together again? I read that some parts inside will break when the device is opened...
    I had a friend suffering the same thing. Upon opening it, I found that the speaker connector had worked itself out of its socket just enough to lose connection. There is a small piece of fabric tape over it, but as our TP's are pushing 5 years old, it may be starting to dry out. The sockets are an unusual design as they are open on one side and the top and you push the speaker connector down into the socket on the board. I suspect they had to add the tape to prevent it from popping out over time.

Opening it needs patience. I find guitar picks very useful, a flashlight and something thin and flat to pop the clips out to free the LCD. Take you time and you should not break anything. Sometimes the clips come off of the plastic pin they are on, but a little super glue and they will fit right back in. Be careful around the camera and power and volume buttons as there is a flexible connector there. If you have a 4G model there is a slight difference is the clip layout. Once free the LCD is still connected so open it slowly. You can see the speaker connection right next to where the LCD plugs into the main board. Be sure it is fully seated and if the tape is missing or dried out, replace it with something new. There are videos on YouTube showing the process of opening it if you need to see it first.
    Last edited by joeytino; 01/26/2016 at 05:42 PM.
    Mutoidi and Nafetz like this.
    Thank you very much. Is there really a chance, not to break the clips? I read https://de.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Touch...placement/6082 and understood the remarks of step 1 - as a not native English-speaker - that there is no other chance as to break them...

...still struggling if it's better suffering to have no sound or maybe damaging the Touchpad only to find out that the speakers are connected properly ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafetz View Post
    Thank you very much. Is there really a chance, not to break the clips? I read https://de.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Touch...placement/6082 and understood the remarks of step 1 - as a not native English-speaker - that there is no other chance as to break them...

...still struggling if it's better suffering to have no sound or maybe damaging the Touchpad only to find out that the speakers are connected properly ...
    I have opened several Touchpads, and have broken 1 or 2 clips and they were easily repaired with some super glue, usually they only fall off of their mounting and can be reglued into place. The key is to take your time. I have a few loose ones at home and can post a few pictures to help you a little with the process later this evening.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Thank you very much for your help!

I'm not really sure if this was a good idea
    I trying for about 10 minutes now to open my Touchpad with the description of ifixit.com. In Step 1 it seems to me that the front camera is on the left side and the USB port on the right side.
    The best way to open would be starting on the right side (USB) and the go to the top (Volume button).
    At the right side display comes up for about a millimeter. But at the corner I have difficulties. I don't dare to put a tool at the point where the marked light sensor may be. On the top side of the corner is a little "drawer", so it is difficult to put a tool inside this place, too.
    Should I try lifting the display up at this point, before I get around the corner? Or is it better to continue at the side of the volume button and lift the display at the corner later?
    Hi again,

two hours later: Touchpad is closed and I have sound again
    I destroyed 5 of 6 clips, but that's ok. To prevent them from breaking it is important to know how they are working. I read this thoughtful when it was already to late.
    The Youtube video wasn't much helpful because it looks like they're using a device that was already opened. And opening the Touchpad was the very hardest part of the repair for me.
    Also difficult was removing the cable that leads to the display. In my device there is a little bracket at the corner of the battery holding the cable very tight. Trying to remove the cable from this bracket led to slipping out the cable at the display side in my case. It was difficult to reattach this - but thank God it was not broken ...

Thank you so much for your support!
    Preemptive likes this.