Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 127
Like Tree25Likes
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaElderGeek View Post
    Disregarding all the hype, anecdotal evidence, conclusory logic, and ritualistic incantations of the faithful and annointed, going to the data makes it clear that it is happening already.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    An Android website.
    Yes, but looks like IDC (International Data Corporation) data so it's still solid, including the widening of the gap favorable to the Apple iPad in the last quarter. I'm sure this is mostly due to the new iPad, maybe some to uncertainty due to the the Oracle lawsuit but then again most folks probably don't know or care about that. And that seems to be going mostly in Googles favor at the moment.
    DaElderGeek likes this.
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    Tex, can I hire you as my spokesperson (or mindreader!)?
    I agree with virtually everything you've said. I own both an iPad2 and a TP. No doubt the TP is thicker and heavier than the iPad2...but it's not THAT much thicker or heavier. Yes it's plastic, but it does not seem 'cheap' to me. I'll grant that this is a subjective thing, but lots of other phones and tablets are plastic and not automatically derided as 'cheap'. Maybe I'm another lucky one without any cracks or other issues.
    As for software, yes it lacks apps, but that's due to HP's meltdown, not due to any fault of the OS. The OS is where I'm all in. The hardware is less than optimal, but I've said elsewhere on here and I will continue to say that webOS is FAR better than iOS...period. I've used both, and to me there's little argument to this. Now, I'm realistic. The history of OSs is littered with superior products that are long-dead. HP's lunacy dealt a grave blow to webOS, and if open-webOS doesn't garner significant attention, it will add to that litter. But this topic is about "unhappy TP owners"... Not me.
    Great minds think alike? And yes I have an iPad as well, or my wife does, so I'm not unfamiliar with them.
  3. #103  
    Android OS market share is not the same as a single manufacturer of a tablet.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Android OS market share is not the same as a single manufacturer of a tablet.
    DId somebody say it was? But it's still market share Apple is losing and I bet tracked and worried about as much as IBM when PC clone market share started creeping up. That's why, before he died, Steve Jobs said "I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this." and "I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong." I'm not saying it's a stolen product, Jobs tended to see things his way, but that he understood the competitive danger of it and was out to stop it.
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    DId somebody say it was? But it's still market share Apple is losing and I bet tracked and worried about as much as IBM when PC clone market share started creeping up. That's why, before he died, Steve Jobs said "I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this." and "I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong." I'm not saying it's a stolen product, Jobs tended to see things his way, but that he understood the competitive danger of it and was out to stop it.
    I am not an iPad owner. Nobody in my family is an iPad owner.

    But comparing IBM selling a PC using Windows to clone makers also using Windows is nothing like the iPad using it's own iOS. Every iPad sale goes to Apples bottom line. There is no Android bottom line.

    The biggest Android seller was the Kindle Fire in the 4th quarter. We'll see how it holds up this year against the iPad 3.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    It was more open from the very start.
    The two and a half months that the Touchpad was on the market?
  7. #107  
    rnld, the comparison was to a bunch of clone makers chipping away at IBM's PC dominance, as Android makers are with Apple. Where can I go buy an IBM PC today? OK that's not fair, it's been a LONG time but you seemed to go out of your way to miss my point. Oh and IBM had it's own OS (OS/2) before Gates screwed IBM over with anti-competative vendor bundling deals which IBM should have challenged at the time but did not do so United States v. Microsoft in 1998 by which time it was all over.
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    HP is not in the Touchpad business anymore and they are turning the OS into open source. Of course WebOS is more open. It stiffed.
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    It was more open from the very start.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    The two and a half months that the Touchpad was on the market?
    Since WebOS was released in Jan 2009 on the Pre.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Yes, but looks like IDC (International Data Corporation) data so it's still solid, including the widening of the gap favorable to the Apple iPad in the last quarter. I'm sure this is mostly due to the new iPad, maybe some to uncertainty due to the the Oracle lawsuit but then again most folks probably don't know or care about that. And that seems to be going mostly in Googles favor at the moment.
    Booyah!
    "The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic."

    Sir Arthur C. Clarke
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    rnld, the comparison was to a bunch of clone makers chipping away at IBM's PC dominance, as Android makers are with Apple. Where can I go buy an IBM PC today? OK that's not fair, it's been a LONG time but you seemed to go out of your way to miss my point. Oh and IBM had it's own OS (OS/2) before Gates screwed IBM over with anti-competative vendor bundling deals which IBM should have challenged at the time but did not do so United States v. Microsoft in 1998 by which time it was all over.
    Android is not Windows. Windows was already the #1 OS. This is a different ball game. We'll see if anyone can come up with a hit tablet before they go the way of HP. They market share of each company is pretty small in the tablet market right now outside of Apple.
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Since WebOS was released in Jan 2009 on the Pre.
    And it was unable to run anything above 1.4.5 officially. I had one for a short time - hated it.
  12. #112  
    Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.

    The cloud and syncing are set up work with a PC. It's not a closed system.
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Android is not Windows. Windows was already the #1 OS. This is a different ball game. We'll see if anyone can come up with a hit tablet before they go the way of HP. They market share of each company is pretty small in the tablet market right now outside of Apple.
    Never said it was. It was the IBM BIOS mostly in question in that battle. It's not an exact comparison, there probably isn't one. But it doesn't matter if the competition is from one company or ten leveraging a free OS. PC clone makers were using "clean room" reverse engineered clones of the IBM BIOS as Google is claiming to have used a "clean room" reverse engineered version of Java. Competition is competition, market share is market share, and losing hurts as bad whether to 1 or 10.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Never said it was. It was the IBM BIOS mostly in question in that battle. It's not an exact comparison, there probably isn't one. But it doesn't matter if the competition is from one company or ten leveraging a free OS. PC clone makers were using "clean room" reverse engineered clones of the IBM BIOS as Google is claiming to have used a "clean room" reverse engineered version of Java. Competition is competition, market share is market share, and losing hurts as bad whether to 1 or 10.
    Profits are what matters.
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Profits are what matters.
    Something I'll give credit to Apple for being damn good at, at least while Jobs was there - the same Jobs who was out to destroy Android at all costs... See if you can guess when Jobs was ousted and when he returned. He played hard ball, like Gates, and profited from it.

  16. #116  
    Jobs was out to stop companies from infringing on his trademarks and his company's products. That's not all that weird.
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Jobs was out to stop companies from infringing on his trademarks and his company's products. That's not all that weird.
    If that was all then it would not be weird. So far Apple has won on one minor patent issue that will most likely be easily worked around. Far from emptying Apples coffers to destroy Android as Jobs pledged. Don't often hear that level of rhetoric from CEOs.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    If that was all then it would not be weird. So far Apple has won on one minor patent issue that will most likely be easily worked around. Far from emptying Apples coffers to destroy Android as Jobs pledged. Don't often hear that level of rhetoric from CEOs.
    You were saying that he was out to destroy Android and now you are saying was guilty of rhetoric.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    You were saying that he was out to destroy Android and now you are saying was guilty of rhetoric.
    Well he said it and I believe essentially meant it. But obviously it had to be exaggeration to a degree, perhaps intended to scare companies and developers away from further investment in android. It's doubtful he would have been allowed to spend all of Apples reserves for ANY reason.. Anyway, this seems to have drifted off topic so have the last word and let's move on.
  20. #120  
    Recently got one for my wife. I did the ICS mod for the apps, but on the plus side, she really likes WebOS and prefers to not have to reboot into ICS. Unfortunately, there are several issues that make WebOS less than optimal for her, so I am a bit disappointed. Major issues include:

    -Poor browsers. Sites she visits frequently are useless due to bad rendering. In fact, the buttons in this forum text editor don't work, so I can't make a true bulleted list!

    -No Audible support w/o rebooting into ICS

    -No rear camera (I figured for her 1 is better than the no camera she would have had with a Kindle Fire, but The one camera isn't great, especially when it doesn't work in ICS.

    -No decent finance apps that link to your investment accounts, like Wikivest, etc.

    I really hope I can get around some of these issues with patches, etc., but yesterday's news that most of the WebOS team left for Google is far from encouraging!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions