Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 127
Like Tree25Likes
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    I was in bestbuy and I was surprised by the amount of people buying iPads. According to the employee they sell more of them than anything else. Selling 3 million in one weekend seems impressive enough. They must be doing something right. Therefore, your concerns about wall or closed does not matter to the majority of consumers.
    Apples and Oranges. $100 vs $600 to what $700, come on. It better be a hell of a lot better for 7x what I paid!

    Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    I was in bestbuy and I was surprised by the amount of people buying iPads. According to the employee they sell more of them than anything else. Selling 3 million in one weekend seems impressive enough. They must be doing something right. Therefore, your concerns about wall or closed does not matter to the majority of consumers.
    I'm sure they are but I pride myself on not being a "muggle". I don't need Apple, AT&T, or anybody else controlling my toys or limiting what I can do with them. Most people don't need that and its fine by me. (Rhetorically) I don't require anyone to be like me and don't permit anyone to demand that I subscribe to their orthodoxy, or acknowledge its "superiority". There are always more "muggles" than wizards.

    Sent from my HP Touchpad with Tapatalk 2
    "The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic."

    Sir Arthur C. Clarke
  3. #83  
    How is it that you feel the iPad is "controlled" more than any other tablet?
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    Didn't the touchpad have the same price as the iPad when launched? The only reason the price dropped to $100 is due to the cancellation.
    All that matters is what I paid, $100 bucks. I'll take whatever defects it has when measured against apple, for 13% of price

    Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    Didn't the touchpad have the same price as the iPad when launched? The only reason the price dropped to $100 is due to the cancellation.
    Right, or $150 in my case since I went for the 32GB figuring I'd want that memory eventually for something, always do, and most likely wouldn't be able to add it after the fact.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    The iPad (I do not own one) outsells Android tablets by staggering numbers. Is there any one Android tablet that has a market share larger than 6%?

    There aren't many Android tablets that even use the same version of the OS. It's a cluster.

    But people have their preferences.
    I don't think any single Android tablet is even in the same number of digits as iPad sales per last quarter sales figures (after dropping from previous quarter). But I'm not sure that matters as much as the aggregate. As you say, Android OS is a cluster right now, not following Java standards, it's the wild west. But it's possible things could improve and Android could close the gap. Right now the iPad as the edge with solid new hardware including a superior screen, software standards, proprietary yes but being followed. But things can change, have to wait and see.
  7. #87  
    What's odd to me is that if one is to buy a PC you get the current or future version of Windows. Apple gets OSX, although it will natively boot Windows.

    With Android tablets, there is no standard OS version. With the iPad there is.
    Last edited by rnld; 05/21/2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling errors
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    What's odd to me is that if one is to buy a PC you get the current or future version on Windows. Apple gets OSX, although it will natively boot Windows.

    With Android tablets, there is no standard OS version. With the iPad these is.
    Go read up on the Oracle lawsuits against Google use of Java for android, particularly the comments from James Gosling, the "father" of Java, such as:

    "One of the reasons that we charge license fees is because we've got organizations of people that do compatibility testing and actual negotiating amongst the different handset makers so that things like GPS APIs look the same. And what's going on in the Android world is there's kind of no adult in charge. And all these handset manufacturers are doing whatever they damn well please. Which means that it's just going to be randomness. It could be let a thousand flowers bloom, but it also could be a dog's breakfast. And I guess having been around the track a few times, it feels like it's going to be more of a dog's breakfast."
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    imfallen_angel, it is funny how folks will take time to slam something they've supposedly abandoned and left behind isn't it? Guess hell hath no fury like an consumer scorned, Again, I think it's a matter of expectations. I really thing there was absolutely no reason for firesale buyers to set high expectations for the touchpad but seemingly many did anyway. I didn't so it's all bonus for me and I'm happy, in most ways it's at least as good as I'd hoped and better in some. Everything has it's disappointments and the touchpad is no exception, like as of yet I haven't figured out how to open an .rtf file, .w tf? But that's not enough to turn me against it and can probably figure it out with some research.
    I think that, you are correct it was a matter of expectations(lots of people were trully expecting to have an great experience when it came to a tablet). I can attest to that myself, ever since I laid my hands on the WebOS HP TouchPad during the last year Firesale. I was extremely happy with my $150 tablet, then as time went on.....there was more frustration that happiness with not only the sluggishness out the TouchPad but with the built quality of the device. Then the HP company continued with my frustrating, even more with the stupid decisions and lack of support to the WebOS department.


    Built quality

    The quality of the device and thickness it could be the biggest mistake that HP did when designing the whole device. In my opinion, making the device thick and plasticky drove to the TouchPad to its own doom to the other tablets from the competitors. One reason that, I will always criticize the TouchPad could be that the cheap plastic materials that HP used that it makes it prone to cracks(crack speakers grills, ANYONE!). And let's not forget the thickness out of the device, that will always make me want to leave my TouchPad at the house. While other people carry their iPads everywhere, the TouchPad is different device the heaviness might not be a deal-breaker for some but for me it is.

    Apps

    There another thing that makes me angry and wants to toss away my TouchPad to the garbage(seriously). The lack of apps is a killer to any sort of platform, and WebOS isn't the exception. I knew that WebOS would be slow to catch up to the competitions when it came the HP Catalog, and WebOS had always been short of apps. But this is frustrating to see Apple, Android, and Blackberry see more support of developers than WebOS. Alright, we know that WebOS is dead when it comes to hardware and that also affects on the app department since there is no device.....developers don't see a reason to built an app for WebOS. However, that shouldn't be an excuse to developers not even support WebOS just little bit to bring apps to the HP Catalog.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I think that, you are correct it was a matter of expectations(lots of people were trully expecting to have an great experience when it came to a tablet). I can attest to that myself, ever since I laid my hands on the WebOS HP TouchPad during the last year Firesale. I was extremely happy with my $150 tablet, then as time went on.....there was more frustration that happiness with not only the sluggishness out the TouchPad but with the built quality of the device. Then the HP company continued with my frustrating, even more with the stupid decisions and lack of support to the WebOS department.


    Built quality

    The quality of the device and thickness it could be the biggest mistake that HP did when designing the whole device. In my opinion, making the device thick and plasticky drove to the TouchPad to its own doom to the other tablets from the competitors. One reason that, I will always criticize the TouchPad could be that the cheap plastic materials that HP used that it makes it prone to cracks(crack speakers grills, ANYONE!). And let's not forget the thickness out of the device, that will always make me want to leave my TouchPad at the house. While other people carry their iPads everywhere, the TouchPad is different device the heaviness might not be a deal-breaker for some but for me it is.

    Apps

    There another thing that makes me angry and wants to toss away my TouchPad to the garbage(seriously). The lack of apps is a killer to any sort of platform, and WebOS isn't the exception. I knew that WebOS would be slow to catch up to the competitions when it came the HP Catalog, and WebOS had always been short of apps. But this is frustrating to see Apple, Android, and Blackberry see more support of developers than WebOS. Alright, we know that WebOS is dead when it comes to hardware and that also affects on the app department since there is no device.....developers don't see a reason to built an app for WebOS. However, that shouldn't be an excuse to developers not even support WebOS just little bit to bring apps to the HP Catalog.
    So boot Android??


    Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    How is it that you feel the iPad is "controlled" more than any other tablet?
    You must use iTunes, you can only use iCloud, Apple doesn't like jailbreaking/customization.
    iOS dictates "multitasking", virtually no choice left to the user, choosing to quit anything as it pleases.
    Apple hardware has a lot of potential, but Apple locks it down to appeal to Bob, who doesn't know the difference between having bigger "geebee's" or having the wifis

    No USB mode, apps are sandboxed, etc.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  12. #92  
    iTunes allows syncing. You can sync to google contacts and calendar instead. You can add music from any MP3 source.

    As far as jailbreaking it doesn't seem like WebOS likes it as it seems everyone says to take that stuff out before sending it in for warranty work.

    You don't like iOS. That's cool.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I think that, you are correct it was a matter of expectations(lots of people were trully expecting to have an great experience when it came to a tablet). I can attest to that myself, ever since I laid my hands on the WebOS HP TouchPad during the last year Firesale. I was extremely happy with my $150 tablet, then as time went on.....there was more frustration that happiness with not only the sluggishness out the TouchPad but with the built quality of the device. Then the HP company continued with my frustrating, even more with the stupid decisions and lack of support to the WebOS department.
    It's fair to expect a good experience. Great? The touchpad had just been released and was essentially being clearanced, killed, closed out before the OS and Apps had a chance to develop. That's the flip side of getting them cheap. So expecting a great experience might be pushing it. I found my touchpad sluggish out of the box but with a bit of preware magic, it's OK now. I personally have had no build quality issues with mine but that would be frustrating if I had. As for stupid decisions and lack of support, again, HP killed it off, that was probably inevitable as much as I might like it to be different.

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Built quality

    The quality of the device and thickness it could be the biggest mistake that HP did when designing the whole device. In my opinion, making the device thick and plasticky drove to the TouchPad to its own doom to the other tablets from the competitors. One reason that, I will always criticize the TouchPad could be that the cheap plastic materials that HP used that it makes it prone to cracks(crack speakers grills, ANYONE!). And let's not forget the thickness out of the device, that will always make me want to leave my TouchPad at the house. While other people carry their iPads everywhere, the TouchPad is different device the heaviness might not be a deal-breaker for some but for me it is.
    I tend to agree about the thickness and weight being a negative. From what I've read this is primarily to support the touchstone which is cool but overall perhaps not worth it. As far as plasticy and cracking, guess I've been lucky having no cracks. I put mine in a case the day I got it and tend to use it propped up in some way, not holding it. A lot of what I've read seems to indicate the case can't handle the stress of being held in some positions. Or maybe it's just luck of the draw, not sure really.

    As far as weight, the Touchpad is certainly heavier than the iPad but depending on the iPad you have, it's not THAT much more. Below is what I looked up for weight, you can see that the iPad started out a bit lighter, got even lighter with the iPad 2 and creeped back up a bit with the newest iPad. Again if this is due to the touchstone I'd be sorely tempted to give that up for a lighter device but it is what it is I guess so I chose to enjoy the touchstone and live with the weight, like, since I have no choice, look on the bright side,

    Touchpad 740g
    iPad Wi-Fi model: 680g ~8% less
    iPad 2nd generation Wi-Fi: 607g ~18% less
    iPad 3rd generation Wi-Fi model: 652g ~12% less

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Apps

    There another thing that makes me angry and wants to toss away my TouchPad to the garbage(seriously). The lack of apps is a killer to any sort of platform, and WebOS isn't the exception. I knew that WebOS would be slow to catch up to the competitions when it came the HP Catalog, and WebOS had always been short of apps. But this is frustrating to see Apple, Android, and Blackberry see more support of developers than WebOS. Alright, we know that WebOS is dead when it comes to hardware and that also affects on the app department since there is no device.....developers don't see a reason to built an app for WebOS. However, that shouldn't be an excuse to developers not even support WebOS just little bit to bring apps to the HP Catalog.
    While I hate to sound like a broken record, HP killed the touchpad before apps had a chance to develop, only a few months after release. This is not the case with iPad, android or blackberry so trying to compare them is unrealistic. I wish there were more apps as well but given the situation I am thankful for what I get. Heck, if I was a developer I'd want to follow the user base and the $ as well, we all need to get paid to live after all. "A little bit" of support is about what we get unfortunately. My needs are modest, so I can make it work. If I was going to try and use a tablet for my primary device, well I wouldn't as I don't think any of them can do what a decent laptop can do. But the touchpad would perhaps be the least likely simply due to the lack of apps. That's not to say I don't like and enjoy mine just that it's a supplemental device for me that has better speakers than any iPad and is good for casual browsing and a variety of other tasks.

    And as I'm sure someone will point out, loading android or linux is always a possibility to get access to more apps although I have yet to do either.
    Last edited by texasflood; 05/21/2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Fix math, duh...
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    iTunes allows syncing. You can sync to google contacts and calendar instead. You can add music from any MP3 source.

    As far as jailbreaking it doesn't seem like WebOS likes it as it seems everyone says to take that stuff out before sending it in for warranty work.

    You don't like iOS. That's cool.
    I have heard of folks sending in touchpads with preware loaded, if that's what you mean, for warranty work with no problems. Folks in general don't want to give companies a way to deny a warranty claim so probably the better part of wisdom to remove it anyway if possible. I think it's fair to say that Apple takes a dimer view of jailbreaking than HP does of Preware. HP hasn't removed the backdoors to get into developer mode to allow bootstrapping into preware so at least tolerates it and allows it. Apple, not. iOS is more mature and has many more apps but there's no denying it's a more closed OS.
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    . . . . But it's possible things could improve and Android could close the gap. Right now the iPad as the edge with solid new hardware including a superior screen, software standards, proprietary yes but being followed. But things can change, have to wait and see.
    Disregarding all the hype, anecdotal evidence, conclusory logic, and ritualistic incantations of the faithful and annointed, going to the data makes it clear that it is happening already.
    Last edited by DaElderGeek; 05/21/2012 at 06:03 PM.
    "The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic."

    Sir Arthur C. Clarke
  16. carldc's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    #96  
    Tex, can I hire you as my spokesperson (or mindreader!)?
    I agree with virtually everything you've said. I own both an iPad2 and a TP. No doubt the TP is thicker and heavier than the iPad2...but it's not THAT much thicker or heavier. Yes it's plastic, but it does not seem 'cheap' to me. I'll grant that this is a subjective thing, but lots of other phones and tablets are plastic and not automatically derided as 'cheap'. Maybe I'm another lucky one without any cracks or other issues.
    As for software, yes it lacks apps, but that's due to HP's meltdown, not due to any fault of the OS. The OS is where I'm all in. The hardware is less than optimal, but I've said elsewhere on here and I will continue to say that webOS is FAR better than iOS...period. I've used both, and to me there's little argument to this. Now, I'm realistic. The history of OSs is littered with superior products that are long-dead. HP's lunacy dealt a grave blow to webOS, and if open-webOS doesn't garner significant attention, it will add to that litter. But this topic is about "unhappy TP owners"... Not me.
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    HP hasn't removed the backdoors to get into developer mode to allow bootstrapping into preware so at least tolerates it and allows it. Apple, not. iOS is more mature and has many more apps but there's no denying it's a more closed OS.
    HP is not in the Touchpad business anymore and they are turning the OS into open source. Of course WebOS is more open. It stiffed.
  18. carldc's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    HP is not in the Touchpad business anymore and they are turning the OS into open source. Of course WebOS is more open. It stiffed.
    It was more open from the very start.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaElderGeek View Post
    Disregarding all the hype, anecdotal evidence, conclusory logic, and ritualistic incantations of the faithful and annointed, going to the data makes it clear that it is happening already.
    An Android website.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    HP is not in the Touchpad business anymore and they are turning the OS into open source. Of course WebOS is more open. It stiffed.
    As I understand it, HP has, in fact, become a bit less open with regard to preware than in the past. But even so it's still more open than Apple with the iPad. And this was all before the OS went open source.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions