Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    In ICS you can kill apps from the recent apps icon and swiping them to the right. It's similar to webos. If you don't have CyBoot already, you might find it useful. It lets you to change the boot default OS and time interval before automatic boot. You can get it from preware. I considered the 5 second limit before it boots to android to be cruel and unusual punishment.
    Thanx, Joe_B: I spend most of my time in CM9/ICS but hadn't picked up on that handy little tip. I've had it less than a month; still a lot to learn. Moboot's timing hasn't been a problem for me but I'll check out Cyboot. Is it a replacement for Moboot? How will it affect other things like Clockword Mod; TWRP; etc.

Sent from my HP Touchpad with Tapatalk 2
    "The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic."

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts

I've had one since they came out in July. Never looked back (the fact that I got price-cut, rebated, refunded, and app-credited all the way down to $50 helps!). I have an iPad2 as well, but I use the TP FAR more often. The iPad can be downright frustrating (try closing an app!) whereas slingshotting away a TP app when you have it rotated to where you get the Angry Bird's "Wheeeee!" is actually fun!
    So take your pick: frustrating or fun.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Cyboot is just a quickie reboot app. It doesn't interfere with anything else.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    LOL I still am not sure what mine actually cost me in the end since I bought mine in the bundle.... I did get rebate and $50 app cat credit, plus the free box.net.

Not counting the app cat credit and box.net, I am probably under $150 on a 32 gig.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaElderGeek View Post
    Thanx, Joe_B: I spend most of my time in CM9/ICS but hadn't picked up on that handy little tip. I've had it less than a month; still a lot to learn. Moboot's timing hasn't been a problem for me but I'll check out Cyboot. Is it a replacement for Moboot? How will it affect other things like Clockword Mod; TWRP; etc.

Sent from my HP Touchpad with Tapatalk 2
    I think all it does is edit the Moboot configuration. I was looking into doing that manually before I found out there was a preware app. It doesn't affect anything else. I tend to lose my patience waiting for it to boot and get distracted. Those 5 seconds really fly by fast if you're not paying attention. lol
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    LOL I still am not sure what mine actually cost me in the end since I bought mine in the bundle.... I did get rebate and $50 app cat credit, plus the free box.net.

Not counting the app cat credit and box.net, I am probably under $150 on a 32 gig.
    I forgot about the box.net 50 gigs. How much is that worth? Heck, I might be MAKING money on my TP!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I am an unhappy TP owner.

At the moment it is in the hands of the Mother In Law somewhere in the depths of debt-stricken Europe and will be for another 3 weeks.

I have to say I miss it quite a lot for casual browsing and playing around with CM9.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    sledge007 likes this.
    Wow, pretty negative post from Nychotxxx who once posted very positive remarks about the touchpad. Sure it's possible that touchpads will start to die once warranty are up, that seems to be the way with all too much in electronics. If you're invested in the touchpad, might be wise to have a spare for that reason so not sure it's fair to take a shot at folks with multiple touchpads. It's not a shock HP won't be offering batteries after fireselling off the touchpads, but batteries have been available on eBay for a while now ~ $40. HP sold off and abandoned the touchpad, any support we get from HP is gravy not something that can be expected or relied upon. A lot of the perception of the touchpad seems to be related to expectations. Mine were low so it's all good for me.

Unfortunately it's not s shock HP will be having layoffs. That seems to be what big American corporations do, not just HP and not just related to the touchpad, something I know all too well.

Not sure what's so bad about the technology of the touchpad, seems right in line to me for a product that was essentially closed out a year ago. The touchstone is pretty cool technology that I haven't seen offered by other vendors, although I'm not sure it's worth the weight penalty in the end. If we're comparing to the new ipad and other newer products that's not really fair. But I'm speculating here since there are no specifics in the criticizm. As for rationalization, those who live in glass houses....
    DaElderGeek likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post

There don't seem to be many people posting here so I would say the majority have since moved on.
    Nah, I think that most are too busy enjoying their Touchpad to bother with annoying criticism about how bad it is and how great some people think they are to take the time and energy to go on a forum about something that they don't care about , but yet will stick around and post about how lame the thing is, and how better others are, and how better it makes them.

Personally, I prefer to state my personal opinion and stick with proper points, and do my best and not judge others over what they prefer , but more on their attitude and such.

Seriously, you and a few others... why do you even come in this forum if you hated it so much (the Touchpad) that you got rid of it? What holds you to go to forums about something that you do have and like?
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    sledge007 and DaElderGeek like this.
    Terry201, curious what didn't work for you when trying to use it in class as you provide no details and since this is your first post there is no record to look at. You won't find me defending the Touchpad in every case, it can be a struggle sometimes which is why it's great to have these forums where we can figure those issues out together. I don't think it can be argued, Apple is the market leader but it's a pricey closed system. The touchpad isn't for everyone but still seem slike a good choice for me since I'm cheap, have limited needs in this space and like the open system. If the price and closed nature of the iPad doesn't bother you then that might be the right choice for you.
    DaElderGeek likes this.
    imfallen_angel, it is funny how folks will take time to slam something they've supposedly abandoned and left behind isn't it? Guess hell hath no fury like an consumer scorned, Again, I think it's a matter of expectations. I really thing there was absolutely no reason for firesale buyers to set high expectations for the touchpad but seemingly many did anyway. I didn't so it's all bonus for me and I'm happy, in most ways it's at least as good as I'd hoped and better in some. Everything has it's disappointments and the touchpad is no exception, like as of yet I haven't figured out how to open an .rtf file, .w tf? But that's not enough to turn me against it and can probably figure it out with some research.
    I will be specific. The pdf app is terrible with no way to insert page numbers and it does not support bookmarks. That makes it useless for pdf books..imagine scrolling through 1000 pages. The web browser is slow and unable to load many pages correctly. Also, I am unable to download files from secure web sites such as banks.

My main problem however is the lack of quality applications, first party apps and the overall sluggishness of the software. The app catalog is filled with overpriced apps that I find to be useless for my needs. Quickoffice is also not a good product and so is smartoffice. It was a hit or miss opening documents. Overall I found the user experience to not be satisfying.
    Many pdf issues were addressed here. And preware addresses most of the sluggishness, in my opinion, The touchpad seemed sluggish out of the box to me to. Sure there are less apps, HP killed it too soon. Whether there are enough apps depends on your needs. Although many web browser issues have also been addressed, I have to agree that this remains a weak point of the touchpad. I would not use it as my primary browser for this reason but it's fine for most casual browsing.
    I bought two touchpads during the firesale. One for me and the other for the spouse but webOS just didn't do it for me. I tried using it in classes and it just didn't work well. Too many things did not work and the software is downright awful. I don't understand how anyone can praise the software and say it is soo good. I found it to be painful to use.

I gave up and sold it on eBay for $180 for a 16GB while the other one just sits there since wife wouldn't allow me to sell it even though she never uses it.

I installed CM9 and it made things much better but the ICS experience does not translae well on a tablet. I honestly believe Apple is the only company that knows how to create a good user experience when it comes to tablets.

There don't seem to be many people posting here so I would say the majority have since moved on.
    I agree that the office and pdf apps on webOS are not great.That is why for a short term solution, I installed Linux so I know I have the option of using their pdf annotator and Libre Office as well as desktop firefox and chromium if I need.
    Also I am hoping we get a webOS cloudon app so we have full MSFT office on the web--vote here if you want that also:
    Please support webOS!!

But I bought an ipad3 and for the price I am greatly disappointed. Mainly because I don't know where my files are. I'd like to find the file and then choose the app in which I want to work and I can't do that except in rare instances. I'd like to save them to my pogoplug device and I can't do that as the ipad browser blocks pogoplug and the app doesn't allow it, I am guessing because of IOS restrictions (as Android app on kindle fire does allow it). Also, the speakers are not as good as Touchpad. So bottom line, I'm not sure if I would take the ipad on my week long vacation coming up where I might also be called up to do work. I might be better off with a TouchPad with Linux and grab the Kindle Fire for anything I can'd do otherwise.

As an aside, I love love love my 3 1/2 year old Mac, feel like I can do anything I need with it. Apple support also has been A++ for me, I would have no problem recommending a mac purchase.
    What's to be unhappy about. Since ICS, and latest nightly, I have been fully able to enjoy all android has to offer. With the exception of the camera and Mic, all works great. I was watching hbogo, and netflix on the patio, this morning, glitch free. I have not booted to webos in weeks. I will say for the $100 I spent, I am getting a ton of enjoyment. I overclk at at 1512, and benchmarks continually blow galaxy out of the water. I will say, webos was OK, but come on, no netflix, no apps, clunky web browser, clunky email, (I now use k-9). Prior to rooting android, which btw is the easiest thing in the world if you follow the sites on the net, or videos on YouTube, I hardly used my device, now it is in my hands all day long. So, what's not to like?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
    For a hundred bucks, there is nothing in this league.
    For $200 there is nothing in its league.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    For $200 there is nothing in its league.
    I wouldn't buy one for $200, but everyone has their own opinions.
    I've got an evo view 4g tablet for work and though I've gotten used to it, I still come back to my touchpad at the end of the day....the difference that puts it ahead of my girlfriend's iPad is flash compensates for a lot (not all) of apps not available on the touchpad...if there's not an app written for the iPad, its functionality is sometimes compromised....I'm mad that Apoteker cut the legs out from under it like he did
    Originally posted by Tery201 . . . .

I installed CM9 and it made things much better but the ICS experience does not translae well on a tablet. I honestly believe Apple is the only company that knows how to create a good user experience when it comes to tablets.
    That is an opinion that is not universally shared, and not just by the general membership of this forum. For example, check out this or this. Closed off gardens really annoy the geek in me. I personally wouldn't buy anything by Apple.
    "The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic."

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    The iPad (I do not own one) outsells Android tablets by staggering numbers. Is there any one Android tablet that has a market share larger than 6%?

There aren't many Android tablets that even use the same version of the OS. It's a cluster.

But people have their preferences.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast