Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    I'm really happy that the OP didn't get the response he was fishing for. Of course what do you expect from a webos forum. Some people seem to forget that is where we are after all.

That being said, I love my touchpad and choose to put up with my veer although I have an iphone4, I have not had my sim in it in 2 months because I would rather use webos than ios. Someday when I can afford a pre3 I'm planning on going that route. WebOS rules!
    I keep hoping to see a decent webos phone on t-mobile.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    got 2 TP's and very happy with both.

I'm sure you can sell yours very quickly and make someone happy so it's a win-win situation.
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    I've kept my phone and touchpad vanilla, with nothing outside of the app store on it... as while I read a lot about how safe it is, all the threads about problematic all seem (to me anyways) to always be related to patches, etc.
    Of course, that's your choice but I think you're missing out. I've run several different flavors of Android as well as WebOS. WebOS is the most elegant OS I've seen but there's not enough functionality. Android is not nearly as elegant but there's a great deal of functionality. Makes the TP really useful.
    "The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic."

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossville View Post
    No not disappointed. Getting good feed back.
    Key Pad is big with me.
    Mime does not work.
    Blue Tooth does not work.
    Now this To many cards issue.
    I like the TP much better than my wifes Ipad.
    We did dump our Palm Pre Plus phones for the iphone 4s. Which was a great upgrade to me.

Maybe if I figure out how to put Android on here I will be more happy. But at 68 my mind is slow to grasp things. LOL
    Don't let age stop you! I just turned 68 in April and bought myself one for my birthday. I immediately installed Preware and a bunch of patches for WebOS as well as Android CM9/Ice Cream Sandwich. Then again, I am a geek. I wrote my first program in 1963 and in retrospect realize I was a nerd long before it became fashionable. Still, it's not hard and the "Getting Started Guides" for both WebOS and Android are close to ***** proof.
    "The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic."

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    @sylo it's actually pretty stable.....stable enough, imo, for the 10% of the time I use it.
    Since purchasing my TP in April I've become an addict and heavy user. I love WebOS but not enough stuff works on the WebOS side as compared to the Android side. That may change when Open WebOS is released. I'm up to the 5/13 nightly build of CM9 and it's rock solid I've patched it to get certain things to work on the Android side like Hulu. It does everything I need it to do flawlessly.

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    Well, I am very happy about the software on my Touchpad. I use it much more than a Galaxy Tab that I have as well. But I am very unhappy about the build quality of the Touchpad. Too cheap plastic and the cracks at the speakers. I would be even unhappier if I would have paid the full price for it.

I'm in China and here the Veer and Pre3 are freely available online for little money. Saw the Veer for 500 RMB, Touchpad are going for 1500 RMB. If you have a friend going to China and you want a WebOS product, just ask that friend to bring it to you.

(Was even offered a Touchpad Go but passed. Was too expensive at 3500 RMB after just getting the Galaxy Tab 7.7)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaElderGeek View Post
    Of course, that's your choice but I think you're missing out. I've run several different flavors of Android as well as WebOS. WebOS is the most elegant OS I've seen but there's not enough functionality. Android is not nearly as elegant but there's a great deal of functionality. Makes the TP really useful.
    Maybe in time I will, depending what happens with WebOS in the future, at least I know that I have the option.

But what "functionality" do you consider "missing out"?

I have plenty of games, the calendar is shared throughout all my Touchpads (I have 3 of them) and my phone (Pre2), Advance Browser is great (so much better than the basic one), and while I miss a lot of things from my Palm (which is why I still use my Lifedrive), I've played a few times with ICS tablets and aside some eye candy, I didn't anything worth while, plus found the interface trying to mimic WebOS in many ways but still a major pain to use.

The fact that EVERYONE in the family, (wife and all the kids) all went and simply picked up the Touchpad and started using it with not a single instruction or anything, I mean ANYTHING... it was all natural for them to just go with it, speaks a lot about WebOS.

Compared to myself, 30 years in computers, trying to make sense of an Android tablet and finding it annoying as hell to simply be able to close a *&^#$%^ app, also speaks for itself. So much, that the fact that I'm no where close to an Apple fan (nor would ever buy any of their products), but I have to admit that iOS is a lot easier to use..
    The base functionality of WebOS is just awesome and I try to explore it at least once a day. What keeps me on the Android side are things like watching Hulu, ESPN3, and videos on other sites. I can sometimes get them to work on WebOS, but playback quality, compared to the Android side is terrible. I'm a heavy user of "Notes" in Outlook Express. When I started with Android (on my phone) I ported them all to Evernote. Of course, it is no longer supported and doesn't work on the WebOS side. I've ripped most of my DVD's to my media server; some in "ISO" format, some in ".mp4". The big .mp4 rips won't play at all on WebOS side but everything is sharp and smooth on the Android side. Just for kicks, I re-ripped one of my favorites to 1280 x 720 resolution and 5 mbits/sec bitrate just to see whaat would happen. WebOS chokes on it but Android MX Player makes you think you are the local cineplex. There's more but I think you get the point.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 2

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    dignitary likes this.
    The only thing I'm unhappy about is the fact they aren't making TP's anymore. What happens if mine dies? My touchpad is great for what I need. I hope the TP will continue to be supported. Will there be more apps? Hope so. I love my TP!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    unhappy when I have to leave it on the touchstone when I go to work
    LOL, mine gets to go to work with me... wifes has to stay on her TS. I don't use it much while at work, but it's nice to have and the case carries my BT headphones too.

So yeah a couple of happy TP owners in my house.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    . . . .

Compared to myself, 30 years in computers, trying to make sense of an Android tablet and finding it annoying as hell to simply be able to close a *&^#$%^ app, also speaks for itself. So much, that the fact that I'm no where close to an Apple fan (nor would ever buy any of their products), but I have to admit that iOS is a lot easier to use..
    I wrote my first program in 1963 on a 4K IBM 1401 so I've got you beat there Closing Android apps can be a be a bit problematic since there isn't a uniform approach app to app. It's especially a problem if an app hangs. There are a lot of "task killer" apps in the Google Play Store but I keep System Panel Lite handy . It can kill a task pretty painlessly but it's useful for a variety of reasons.

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Love my TP! (s) so much easier to use then setting up a laptop just to do simple web based activities or write menus or recipes for my career. Getting my laptop is such a pain in the **** nowadays.
    I'm a lil' bored with the TP though now. I mainly use it as a TV guide. Its a toy and that's about all it will ever be or has been. After using the TP for so long now, I see very well why HP killed it. Its a pretty crappy piece .

Sent from a Hpre², HPre³,HPTP 16/32 using Communities.
    I wrote my first program in 1963 on a 4K IBM 1401 so I've got you beat there Closing Android apps can be a be a bit problematic since there isn't a uniform approach app to app. It's especially a problem if an app hangs. There are a lot of "task killer" apps in the Google Play Store but I keep System Panel Lite handy . It can kill a task pretty painlessly but it's useful for a variety of reasons.

Well, it's to the point that you need an add-on to do something as flat-out vanilla easy as closing an app, there's something to be said about that.

Not saying that WebOS is perfect, there's a LOT they could have, should have done that I seriously don't understand why they didn't (proper networking/file sharing, file manager, better browser) right out of the box, but that's how both Palm and now HP burned themselves.
    . . . . but I have to admit that iOS is a lot easier to use..
    I'm definitely not an Apple fanatic and I definitely don't drink the Apple is "easier to use" or MAC'S are immune to malware Koolaid. Since jettisoning AOL I'm not interested in going back to living in a gilded bird cage. My wife has an iPhone and she has no geek chops at all. Accordingly, it falls to me to get her set up and figure out how things work in iOS. It's definitely not easier to use; it's just different. My HP can do everything iOS can and many things it can't. I had to figure out how to use iTunes to get music and some exercise videos on her iPhone. I think it is the worst piece of crapware I've ever come across. It's on her computer but I refuse to install it on anything else. I use J. River Media Center for media. It out classes iTune's in every dimension imaginable.

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    I'm definitely not an Apple fanatic and I definitely don't drink the Apple is "easier to use" or MAC'S are immune to malware Koolaid. Since jettisoning AOL I'm not interested in going back to living in a gilded bird cage. My wife has an iPhone and she has no geek chops at all. Accordingly, it falls to me to get her set up and figure out how things work in iOS. It's definitely not easier to use; it's just different. My HP can do everything iOS can and many things it can't. I had to figure out how to use iTunes to get music and some exercise videos on her iPhone. I think it is the worst piece of crapware I've ever come across. It's on her computer but I refuse to install it on anything else. I use J. River Media Center for media. It out classes iTune's in every dimension imaginable.

I might have not written it correctly... I was comparing it to Android NOT WebOS... WebOS is in a league of it's own.

And I pretty much have the same opinion about Apple that you have. My wife had to install iTunes due to something that she was looking into (podcasts), and it's resulted in a 30-40% slowdown of her system and even after uninstalling it, she had troubles, to the point that she reformatted.
    I might have not written it correctly... I was comparing it to Android NOT WebOS... WebOS is in a league of it's own.

And I pretty much have the same opinion about Apple that you have. My wife had to install iTunes due to something that she was looking into (podcasts), and it's resulted in a 30-40% slowdown of her system and even after uninstalling it, she had troubles, to the point that she reformatted.
    WebOS is the bee's knees. I was an early adopter for Palm, way back in the days of the Palm Pilot, Treo, et al. My last one was a Palm T|X. I bailed after that because the T|X touch screen quickly got out of calibration. This was waay before the days of the Pre and WebOS. I didn't know much about WebOS until I got my TP. I was blown away by its power, simplicity and elegance. It's like VHS vs. Betamax all over again; proof positive that the best technology, unaided, can't overcome a well oiled (Apple?) hype machine. Too bad.

Sent from my HP Touchpad with Tapatalk 2

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    I've had my Touchpad since February. Initially got it at OfficeDepot, new, for $50 (after coupons). I got this as a Valentine's Day present for my girlfriend since her HP Laptop recently crapped out. 3 months later I purchased an iPad for her off craigslist and have taken the Touchpad in for myself. To give a Touchpad to someone who can't handle constant errors, webpages loading, and an unstable OS (earlier ICS builds), it was frustrating for her.

With that being said, I use my TP frequently. For the price, I like it. I'm completely satisfied at $50. To be honest, if I paid anything more, I think I wouldn't be satisfied. Android is alright on it. I much rather PREFER to use WebOS. After tweaking it with Preware, I like how much snappier it is and smooth flowing. Obviously the biggest problem, like everyone said and knows, is the lack of apps. Granted, when I want to clear out any Zynga games, I reboot into Android and do so. But for the most part, I like to use WebOS for web browsing.

I do have Advanced Browser. It's ok, at best. Like someone mentioned, it's rendering is pretty poor on some sites that have heavy coding. I think the Acid3 test, it renders about a 94/100. Not terrible, but not great compared to the 100/100 of the Chrome Browser on Android. I really wish there were more browser options for WebOS. This is the one killer for me that it's rendering is so poor sometimes. Cards is great though. I like the swiping and often find myself doing this on Android, though it doesn't work for that.

Alll in all, I'm happy with my purchase. $50 for a tablet, not too shabby. I have an iPhone 4S, Macbook Pro, and have always been an avid Apple user. Though it's hella restricted, unless jailbroken, you really can't deny that iOS works seamlessly compared to Android on here. That's the big reason why I will probably flip over to an iPad in the long run, once the price goes down. I want something where I know webpages will load correctly, app availability is there, and all my devices can sync together. That's just me though. Commence Apple hate.
    Quote Originally Posted by JASK0 View Post
    Alll in all, I'm happy with my purchase. $50 for a tablet, not too shabby. I have an iPhone 4S, Macbook Pro, and have always been an avid Apple user. Though it's hella restricted, unless jailbroken, you really can't deny that iOS works seamlessly compared to Android on here. That's the big reason why I will probably flip over to an iPad in the long run, once the price goes down. I want something where I know webpages will load correctly, app availability is there, and all my devices can sync together. That's just me though. Commence Apple hate.
    I'm not an evangelist or a holy warrior so I decline to take the "hate Apple" bait. Among other reasons, I don't think any of them are worth the premium Apple charges and will never pay it, but that's just me. I like what I like and it's perfectly OK for you to like what you like. I am a problem solver though and was wondering what version and build of Android you're using? Although CM9 is an "Alpha" build, the recent releases are very solid and trouble free. The free ICS Browser + is just great. I admit having tweaked it myself for stability and performance, but that's what I like to do.

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

In ICS you can kill apps from the recent apps icon and swiping them to the right. It's similar to webos. If you don't have CyBoot already, you might find it useful. It lets you to change the boot default OS and time interval before automatic boot. You can get it from preware. I considered the 5 second limit before it boots to android to be cruel and unusual punishment.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast