Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UbuntuIsGreat
  1.    #1  
    In the university dorms, we had a fire drill. I ran outside, thinking my roomate would lock the door, and he didn't. During the confusion, my Macbook Pro, Touchpad, and Beats headphones were stolen.

I need to get a new touchpad obviously, where is a good place to get one at a reasonable price? I want another 32gb one.

I sure hope insurance pays for all this stuff. Mad as hell.
    EBay is the cheapest I know of at the moment. The 32GB models can be had for about $275.00.

On a side note: Fire drill and you left your electronics...that would have been the things that went with me. We had a dude pull the alarm as a prnak I guess in the middle of the night...cold as hell...I was barefooted with "PJ" shorts, BUT by gosh I had my Toshiba M205 Tablet PC

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Quote Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
    In the university dorms, we had a fire drill. I ran outside, thinking my roomate would lock the door, and he didn't. During the confusion, my Macbook Pro, Touchpad, and Beats headphones were stolen.

I need to get a new touchpad obviously, where is a good place to get one at a reasonable price? I want another 32gb one.

Oh...that sucks and sounds like your neighbors can't be trusted, but then is that a big surprise and morals and right and wrong went out YEARS ago! May want to check your local Pawn Shops and Craigslist around your area for the units being sold by someone else.

Either way, Ebay or CL are both good options for TP and they've also arrived on Woot/Home Shopping Network ever once and a while if you can hold out for a while. Hope you find one soon and yes the insurance kicks in! I'd also look into finding a new roommate or at least start finding friends you can trust and move in together next semester. Sorli...
    Sorry for your loss. I haven't had anything stolen in a long time, but it drives me nuts when somebody thinks they deserve to have something that I worked for.
    Last edited by UbuntuIsGreat; 05/10/2012 at 08:14 AM.
    kataran likes this.
    Did you call the police? Might have trouble with the insurance if not.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  6.    #6  
    Definitely man, full police report filed. I've been searching the local craigslist and pawnshops methodically.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! At least they didn't nab my Pre3 or my CR48 Chromebook, the things I can't easily replace.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    that's a pretty good price, even for a refurb. even the times they've been on woot! recently they were more than $209.

newegg has the 32gb for $230, and the 16gb for $205.
    If you're in Canada, there's Kijiji (online adds), which is how I managed to get two of mine.

Prices have been 200$ for a 32GB one. Both times I got some extras such as cases and even a keyboard.

For Touchstones for the Touchpads, if you don't have one (or two :-p), I managed to find a seller on eBay that with shipping (and buying more than one), it brought the price to under 50$ each.

So with a bit of patience, you can probably get a fair deal.

I'd recommend to try to see if you can find a package deal... something around 300$ for the Touchpad, the Touchstone, a case (or 2), and a keyboard, can be seen once in a while and well worth it.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    http://www.antonline.com/p_TOUCHPAD%...IFI_958981.htm

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk 2
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    @ quiestbml PM me I may be able to score you one new in the box for the same price as a refurbished ones posted above. Sorry for your loss I hate thieves and would love to catch one ripping me off one day...
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I have a brand new inw still in the box. 32gb. was gonna gibe as a gift to family but didn't pan out.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Well while i cant tell you where to get a touchpad (i miss mine too its being repaired lol) what i can tell you is taht i work for the student tech support services up at Uconn (we call it Huskytech =] ) and if i were you log into your apple account and get any information on your macbook pro. We had a girl get hers stolen but she got her mac address and they found it the next day. Charged the kid and everything. You might be able to do the same for the touchpad but im not sure if you cna get its mac address. WHAT YOU MOST DEFINITELY SHOULD DO is log into your palm profile and WIPE THE DEVICE just to be safe.

Sorry bro,
    Manny

Update: if you call hp and give them your serial number you might be able to get the mac address...just a thought i had.
    Quote Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post

It's very unfortunate what happen to you(with the college campus thief), we all feel sorry and hope you could somehow recover your stolen items soon. However, one tiny suggestion for a (fellow)poster you don't have to necessarily buy a new TouchPad.....don't get wrong the TouchPad is a nice tablet, but looking into other tablets coming out(at retail stores) is also an viable option for you. Let's face it, the TouchPad looks nice, but seeing tablets with quad-core processors and sharper resolution displays the HP TouchPad might start to appear like it should belong in the pages of the history books. There are tons of other options out in the market when it comes to tablets like the Asus Prime tablets or Samsung galaxy tabs with fair reasonable prices. On amazon, you could find a 10 inch tablet like the prime 300 with quad-core processor and it will only cost a $100 more than buying a refurbished model of the TouchPad.

Amazon.com: ASUS Transformer TF300 T-B1-BL 10.1-Inch 32 GB Tablet (Blue): Computers & Accessories

Please, as an advice don't buy a tablet with an doubtful future like the TouchPad and specially with a STUPID company like HP who clearly don't even know what they will do with WebOS. The development of application(of WebOS) is completely dead, even developers who started their careers with creating applications with WebOS are abandoning the platform. Just saying, you could look for other options out there....with greater support of app developers.....
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by sindizzy View Post
    I have a brand new inw still in the box. 32gb. was gonna gibe as a gift to family but didn't pan out.
    Ditto.

I have been saving it as a spare in case my wife or I break one of our other two. I have thought of selling it given that new hardware is coming out all of the time...but we don't have that much invested. 85 beans a piece for the our two 16GB...and one of them turned out to be a 32GB that HP stuck in the wrong box by mistake. Man, my only regret is that I didn't buy more...so I could just give the dang things away to everyone I know.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post

<snip>

Please, as an advice don't buy a tablet with an doubtful future like the TouchPad and specially with a STUPID company like HP who clearly don't even know what they will do with WebOS. The development of application(of WebOS) is completely dead, even developers who started their careers with creating applications with WebOS are abandoning the platform. Just saying, you could look for other options out there....with greater support of app developers.....

Doubtful future? I am running CM9 on my TP...and my future doesn't seem "doubtful". Hey, if he likes WebOS (and many of us do) and he can get a good deal, then why not? Any TP owner can add Android dual boot in about 30 minutes.
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 05/12/2012 at 12:49 AM.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    PalmPixi,

You sure don't sound very proud of your devices anymore. There are plenty of new TouchPads out there in the wild still (I just saw a 100 of them in a store today). There's a new update to the OS imminent, and a major new version due in September. Maybe you should open up your App Catalog sometime, though, and look at all the new apps that come out, maybe once a week or so, at least. If you do it every day, it's really easy to keep track of them all.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are: