webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Cracked screen - What are my options?
Cracked screen - What are my options?

Old 05/06/2012, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

So today I was riding the bus, and pulled my headphones out of my TP. Unfortunately, the TP slid out of my lap, and fell face-down onto the floor. Picking it up revealed the damage; the left side of the screen is mostly cracked up, with a few lines along the right. Along the bottom of the bezel it's pretty cracked up, probably the point of impact.

So, what are my options now? I'm not exactly in a financial position to be throwing hundreds of dollars at this, but would like it repaired/replaced. It all works fine, but the cracked screen is a huge irritation. If I wanted to get the front panel replaced by HP, what would the cost on that be? How much would it be if I shipped it off to some third party repair source? I'm not really up to doing the job by myself, so that's pretty much out of the question. If I wanted to replace it, how much could I get from selling it? What do new/slightly used 32 GB models go for these days?

The photo doesn't really do the damage justice (I took it on my Veer), but you can get a general idea of the damage. I've always babied my electronics, it's really disappointing to see this happen. If I told HP that it could relate to my cracked plastic by the speaker, which is a well known problem, do you think that it could possibly get me some sort of discount?. Also, does anybody have any models that they'd be willing to sell?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
-Evan
EvanKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2012, 07:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

your best chance is to call HP support, and check ebay for parts (as plan b).

also, I had an ipod screen replaced recently and they can probably get the part:
iPhone Repair – Cell Phone Repair | uBreakiFix.com
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2012, 06:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Do you know of any other places that may specialize in TP repair? HP quoted around $250, which is a bit much considering that I could get a new one for the same price or less, and I only paid $200 for mine with a case after tax.

I really don't trust myself with the repairs, I've messed things like this up in the past.
Old 05/08/2012, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

There was a guy on the forums that did touchád repairs, you will be spending around 80 USD on parts alone (ebay), if you count shipping and labor it will probably set you around 200 USD, I would encourage you to attempt the repair yourself or send it to hp for repairs.
zubiaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2012, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

You can find replacement glass parts with a quick search: like this for under $40, and there are videos out there showing how to take the device apart (I believe the iFixit site has a couple). Heck, if you get good at it and buy a small insurance policy you could turn it into a quick business.

I did find that the iRepairWorks site is advertising that they can replace the HP Touchpad glass for $129.99.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2012, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

If I am not mistaken the LCD is damaged too, there is a blue line that starts around where the dock finishes. Unless its part of of theme...
zubiaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2012, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
You can find replacement glass parts with a quick search: like this for under $40, and there are videos out there showing how to take the device apart (I believe the iFixit site has a couple). Heck, if you get good at it and buy a small insurance policy you could turn it into a quick business.

I did find that the iRepairWorks site is advertising that they can replace the HP Touchpad glass for $129.99.
Thanks, I'll consider both of those options. The cracked glass couldn't have somehow affected the LCD underneath, could it have? The blue line is part of the theme (webICS), and the performance doesn't seem to have changed, but I'm worried that taking off the glass could reveal some problem with the LCD.
Old 05/08/2012, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think if the accident damaged the LCD beneath the glass, you'd know about it. If the TouchPad still displays photos well, you should be okay.

I've never replaced the glass on a TouchPad (just an LCD), but I did replace the glass on an iPad. I used a $30 replacement screen that looks much like the $40 one referenced above (and I'm not sure if that $40 is Gorilla Glass). My repair on the iPad turned out perfectly -- even I was amazed at how well it turned out. The stressful and tedious part was removing every last shard of broken glass from the original screen. At least on the iPad, the screen was thoroughly double-stick taped to the front bezel, and I suspect the TouchPad is the same.

There are two things that you would need for the repair that I didn't see in that eBay listing:

1.) the 3M double-stick adhesive strips to mount the new screen

2.) the 10-12 little clips that hold the TouchPad halves together. You're certain to break all but 2 or 3, since they're single-use by design. The clips for the iPad are sold on eBay for a buck or two per dozen. I don't know if the iPad clips will work with the TouchPad, and I don't know of any source which sells the TouchPad clips.

The tools you absolutely have to have to start this are a couple of good Spudgers (I use both metal and plastic), a good set of jeweler's screwdrivers and a good razor knife (in case you have to scrap adhesive remnants off the bezel).

If you have the patience to do this kind of work, it's not that bad.

Good luck.
Do Not Touch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2012, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

If you buy the replacement glass and pay for shipping i can install it for you for 20$ I fix all kinds of phones and electronics here at my dorm hall everyone loves it lol. Pm me if your intrested
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2012, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Unless you get the part yourself and fix it, for the price to get someone to fix it, it almost half of what you paid for it. Jeez, that's tough call. If you are sure the LCD screen is ok, I may go this route. It will def pain me but....

I guess its better than buying another used or new which will cost $210 to $230 shipped
nycdude450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2012, 12:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Cracked the screen on my 64GB Touchpad, is it just the glass or the LCD also?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0088.jpg (746.6 KB, 21 views) Email Attachment
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2012, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Is that taken with the LCD on? If so, you would likely need to replace both glass and LCD.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2012, 01:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Is that taken with the LCD on? If so, you would likely need to replace both glass and LCD.
Aw man.... those cost like $75!

That's what I get for falling asleep with my beloved touchpad!!!
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2012, 08:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

No sense in paying HP to fix the screen. Do it yourself or move onto the iPad. Having HP do it would be a pretty penny.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0