Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By andyhurley
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    What I want to ask is that I've a TP on which I use internet over wifi, my desktop doesn't have wifi, so I want to tether this internet connection from touchpad to my desktop via usb, ofcourse I know we can tether Internet connection(cellular data) of webos phones to other devices via USB, which I did with my veer but how to do it with touchpad which is connected to internet over wifi. Is it possible at all?.
    HP TOUCHPAD
    I want to say I'm interested if this is possible too. A lot of talk is about tethering to a phone, which I don't need. I've tried Android OS, but the wifi never worked fully enough to test. Has anyone done this?
    could just a cheap usb wifi dongle for pc, they don't cost much.
    Freetether (Preware) on the phones does this so I would imagine it would work on a touchpad. It links all your data streams and acts as a router so you can link WiFi, BT, GSM and USB in any combination. I used WiFi-BT quite a bit when I had a contract which gave me free access to WiFi hotspots.

USB was a bit fiddly to get working as you had to install the right drivers on the PC so I didn't bother with it but there are others who managed it.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Yes it works, I'm just using free tether, actually using this way from the day I started this topic. That's why I left this topic. And I'm using in Windows 8 too(started in Windows 8 Beta & now in Windows 8 RC). No problems, everything is perfect.

So what I'm doing: First of all my TP is connected to the internet through a wifi connection, & I'm using free tether to tether the wifi(Internet) connection to my PC through USB connection.
    HP TOUCHPAD
    how long does the battery last or are you keeping it on touchstone?
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    how long does the battery last or are you keeping it on touchstone?
    The lasting of the battery never a problem while tethering TP's wifi connection to PC via USB as the TP gets charged simultaneously while doing it. As we do not select USB drive mode option when it asked, instead we just close the pop-up, just as we do when we want to charge it by connecting it to PC.
    HP TOUCHPAD
    Quote Originally Posted by st_7 View Post
    The lasting of the battery never a problem while tethering TP's wifi connection to PC via USB as the TP gets charged simultaneously while doing it. As we do not select USB drive mode option when it asked, instead we just close the pop-up, just as we do when we want to charge it by connecting it to PC.
    ah nice, only asked as my pc never really seems to charge my touchpad much if any, thats while heavily using it tho, soudns different if left alone to do its tethering in the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    ah nice, only asked as my pc never really seems to charge my touchpad much if any, thats while heavily using it tho...
    Use a USB Y adapter or cable in order to draw power from two USB ports - 1A, even though the TP needs about 2 but still better than .5A). Its really easy to build if you have spare cables (one male/male and one female).