Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By PalmPixi_User23
  • 2 Post By p41m3r
  • 1 Post By protomaxxx
  • 1 Post By kalel33
  • 3 Post By eblade
  1.    #1  
    It always begs the question on the reasons that developers go to iOS for developing apps. There is no question in mind, that a product like Apple devices which has sold millions have a better chance of bigger market share(which means big money for developers for selling apps) and that is why some developers choose to develop for that platform. I wish that some developers would realize that some other mobile platform exist out there in the world, instead of iOS and android. Today, I read on the tech news that Apple was rejecting applications which had Dropbox integration within the apps, not even a reason was given just simply Apple closed the app store doors on their faces without saying a word.

After seeing so many rejections come and go with some developers being denied for their apps to share a spot on their precious totalitarian iOS app store. Why does developers continue to develop apps for iOS, even after stories of developers being rejected from their app store because Apple doesn't like the way your app works. There was even a story that the developers of the application for WebOS "Glimpse" was even rejected and inglorious apps Inc. had to completely modify the app to make it to the app store. That to me in my opinion, If I was a developer I could completely consider moving into other platform instead wasting my time and efforts to make an app for Apple devices.

So, like the title of my post: Are developers brain dead or just too stubborn to notice that developing apps for iOS is stupid and useless(unless you don't adjust to Apple way of thinking) ? Why force yourself to limit your apps so that Apple could be pleased and happy, is that a serious platform to develop for ? Not so...........Why not moved to WebOS, when users could create and develop apps without any restrictions ? It still bugs me that WebOS still has no apps like Apple's iOS app store, but developers choose to go to that stupid Apple platform to get apps rejected.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I found an article titled:
    iOS userbase hits 37.9 million in US as Apple's reach outperforms Android by 59%
    (Taking into account iPad and iPod touch)

In total, iOS's userbase in the US now sits at 37.9 million to Android's 23.8 million when sales of Galaxy Tab and other Android tablets such as Motorola Xoom are accounted for
    That's pretty good motivation to conform to their standards, if you want to make any money....just like any job, you do what's expected or you don't work there anymore. Maybe they're just blinded by money and don't want to develop just for fun?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    It's pretty straight forward, the WebOS userbase is small and declining and that isn't going to attract any influx of developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Are developers brain dead or just too stubborn to notice that developing apps for iOS is stupid and useless(unless you don't adjust to Apple way of thinking) ? Why force yourself to limit your apps so that Apple could be pleased and happy, is that a serious platform to develop for ?
    Good question but I'd take a different route because what you observed is not limited to devs or Apple.

As consumers and members of society, the vast majority of us are guilty of the same thing. In most of our human activities we either blindly support figures, groups, entities and ideas based on superficial things, or we go about w/ great apathy just following the money. This is usually to our own detriment.

The list of examples are endless and Im sure you're familiar w/ all of them. Whether its voting for, supporting, or hiring someone based on race, nationality, religion, associations, etc., or remaining silent to injustices done in our name, we've all been there and done it. We can't say that we too are not brain-dead or stubborn when we choose to finance our own demise (austerity? banker bailouts?) or give up our liberties for some temporary or imagined safety. We certainly can't plead 'not guilty' as we partake in the poisoning of our environment and look on as our children/future are destroyed. And brain-dead clearly explains, for e.g., the way we have come to accept genetically modified organisms and poisonous chemicals as food.

Voraciously grabbing up the latest gadgets every few months w/o as much as a peek into the practices, goals, history and culture of the pertinent corporations is an example closer to home. It is absolutely baffling that so few - especially the youth - seem to have interest (or the common sense that they should take interest) in the consequences of their choices. Brain-dead to me is wholeheartedly buying Google's drivel that there is no such thing as privacy - even as its chairman made it a point to keep his own private life off the social networks.

I wont go on because its clear. Devs are a microcosm of something much larger. The same question can be asked of the Apple, Google, Palm, Sony or {insert name here} customers... ppl in general. Part of the answer is that Apple, like other entities in this situation, wield immense power and can therefore call the shots and shape reality. A majority of the top 50 economies in the world are not governments but are, in fact, corporations. And their power is not limited to the economic; it is also political. Since these multinational corporations today are served by governments - and not the other way around - they are free to dictate the terms of engagement at every level. You're simply bearing witness to these facts and its not a matter of being stubborn or brain-dead.
    RumoredNow and Sanjay like this.
    Why call developers stupid for such an obvious answer?
    If you're a developer, there are more good reasons not to develop for webOS. A die-hard Meego fan can say the same thing.
    Would you rather have 40 million customers or 1 million?

The vast majority of Apple's rules involve "fitness for use" ie QC stuff. No QC means you have a Google Play or PlayBook App World situation, where the vast majority of apps are either junk or completely useless barely functioning if at all junk.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    why cant some pixi users see the obvious:

money money money money money money money money money money moneymoney money money money money money money money money money moneymoney money money money money money money money money money moneymoney money money money money money money money money money moneymoney money money money money money money money money money moneymoney money money money money money money money money money moneymoney money money money money money money money money money moneymoney money money money money money money money money money moneymoney money money money money money money money money money moneymoney money money money money money money money money money moneymoney money money money money money money money money money moneymoney money money money money money money money money money moneymoney money money money money money money money money money money
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    No QC means you have a Google Play or PlayBook App World situation, where the vast majority of apps are either junk or completely useless barely functioning if at all junk.
    I haven't downloaded a single app for Android that was junk, barely functioning,or completely useless. I've tried probably 200 different apps and not a single one was junk or non-functioning, but then again, I don't download the apps that show hot asian girls as the app.

What I have found is for every app that I've tried on WebOS there is a corresponding app on Android that is better. Like I've always stated, WebOS is a better tablet OS but the apps are poor quality or way overpriced when compared to other platform's options.
    dignitary likes this.
    this question is like asking why don't gas stations in the U.S. all sell natural gas. "Are they brain dead?" lol. Because most cars don't have run on it. As sledge mentioned you're talking maybe one million users verses 100 million users in the U.S. alone and way more world wide and growing. And though i'm not fond of the new Nokia phones or metro it seems as though wp7 is set to have a small bump in users. To call developers "brain dead" i think is amazingly naive or at worst willful blindness to reality.

Sidenote: I read some of the articles on Apple rejecting apps and this statement is totally misleading, "not even a reason was given just simply Apple closed the app store doors on their faces without saying a word."

You may have decided not to inquire any further or read more then one article but explanations are given and i've found a couple dated before your post. I even found a forum post on the dropbox website with a developer flat out quoting the explanation that was given to him by apple when his app was rejected. His post reads:

Last night I received a rejection of my 1.2 update because of this very issue.
    '11.13

We found that your app provides access to external mechanisms for purchases or subscriptions to be used in the app, which is not in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines.

Specifically, your app enables to user to create accounts with Dropbox and Google.' post by "Tac. L"
    Apple rejecting applications which use Dropbox. The horror. Dropbox Forums

Also several articles state that dropbox is clearly working with Apple on a solution. You're statement is mostly hyperbole.

And it is not as if Palm never rejected an app before.:
    Palm rejects NaNplayer advanced music player for the App Catalog ?
    http://www.webosnation.com/nanplayer...atalog-updated
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 05/03/2012 at 08:37 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    WP7 will not have a drastic bump in users since I, along with everyone I've asked (random strangers on the street) believe that WP7 looks terrible. iOS has lots more ways of making money, even if your app is free and not one of those bait apps that require in app purchases (I'm looking at you Hexage). And that thing is ADS! Also, you're being a little conservative on the facts there, OP; It was mentioned that apps using the Dropbox SDK were rejected, BUT, a reason was given to its rejection. Apps using Dropbox had a link to the desktop version of it and others had a button that allowed one to create a Dropbox account, which is against Apple's ToS.
    Devices:
    HP TouchPad WiFi 32 GB - webOS 3.0.5 + CyanogenMod 10.2 Kernel 3.0
    HP TouchPad 4G 32 GB - webOS 3.0.5 + CyanogenMod 10.1 MBM Beta
    HTC One (T-Mobile)
    Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" 2012
    Apple iPhone 4 (Verizon)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer765 View Post
    WP7 will not have a drastic bump in users since I, along with everyone I've asked (random strangers on the street) believe that WP7 looks terrible.
    I don't go around asking people questions about cellphones so i don't have my finger on the pulse of people but yeah i don't get it either. But it seem like its well hyped and received. i just don't like the metro style. But honestly if there's 1 or 2 million webos users i have to think that wp7 can get 2 million users, world wide with all it's phones combined. And if they are tied and still releasing several products how appealing are OS's that are on hold and w/o phones on the way? Not very. but hey it's WP7 so we are talking about the small player in the market now anyways. They aren't the ones dominating. it's IOS and android.

iOS has lots more ways of making money, even if your app is free and not one of those bait apps that require in app purchases (I'm looking at you Hexage). And that thing is ADS!
    Another thing is even if it's a free app like a starbucks app. For Starbucks it satisfies a hell of a lot more of your customers being on the big two platforms then a webos app would. For them the benefit is just bigger simply in customer satisfaction.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    Windows phone will make a bump for sure. Just not necessarily in America.

Then why? Because many corporates are married to Windows and Microsoft, and so far Microsoft mobile offers the best compatibility with Office, desktop windows, Share point and more. My IT guy is drooling at the thoughtof high quality Nokia devices running windows.compatible security and apps out of the box. And don't forget the potential for metro as it flows through phones, tablets and laptops.

The future looks interesting.
    I can tell you that so far, in 3 months, I haven't made enough back on the Android version of GVoice to even justify having spent the hour or so that it took to install CM7 and CM9 on my devices and get the app running there.

I think I might see a bigger boost in iOS, however, iOS costs significantly more to get into -- Google charges what, $25 or $35 to get in, iOS charges $99/year. And you need access to a Mac to package stuff (or develop a very crafty build method in Windows, which no one has bothered to do yet with PhoneGap, considering how much native code you have to add to PhoneGap just to get a lot of basic functionality).

The webOS catalog is plenty good for hobbyists right now -- over 2,000 users of my apps on webOS now. Approximately 1/10th that on other platforms, and I've been releasing multiplatform for 3 months now.

As a professional game developer, most of my clients have done analysis on Android, and decided that there's no good reason whatsoever to bring your mobile games to Android, as they will pretty much make absolutely nothing there, unless you happen to become an absolutely huge hit at a 99c price tag.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    They must like making money, or something.
    The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
    I think it's pretty clear why Apple takes the draconian position they do (besides having a culture shaped from Steve Jobs). They don't want apps that work across platforms. They want to kill competition any way they can. So an app that can easily be ported will be rejected. Not a lot of difference than Microsoft has done in the past.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    I think it's pretty clear why Apple takes the draconian position they do (besides having a culture shaped from Steve Jobs). They don't want apps that work across platforms. They want to kill competition any way they can. So an app that can easily be ported will be rejected. Not a lot of difference than Microsoft has done in the past.
    I suppose one could infer that from their position, but it's really more about the UI -- how many iOS apps deviate significantly in their UI, that aren't games? Very, very few.

If you don't want to do things the way Apple wants them done, then they don't want you on their platform. It really makes perfect sense. At one point, HP had UI guidelines that they were following, as well, but from what I've heard, the number of app rejections were just insane -- which is really sad, considering that they pretty much supplied all the UI elements for the devs to begin with, right in the app frameworks.

Having specific UI guidelines, quality control, and fitness for purpose requirements is not a bad thing.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    I am aware of most of those shortcomings, but thank you for emphasizing them to me. (seriously, no sarcasm)

However, the main function of Google Voice is not to provide voice calls - it doesn't provide voice service -at all-. It's primary function is to manage telephone calls involving actual telephone devices, and it's most used function is for text messaging. Otherwise, I completely agree with everything you said there.

I realize the app could use a name change in a big way, and that's going to come along with the major upgrade to the webOS version that I've been working on, so that will eliminate the problem where I feel the need to make sure that people know that my app isn't another app with a similar sounding name, and that i'm not trying to confuse users.

Ignoring my own app's issues, there are a lot of other issues affecting the Android platform as a whole especially in tablet world:

Google Play is a giant mess for discovering things. If it doesn't hit highly in the top 500 app lists, you'd better have a way of marketing outside of their store.

Android 2.x tablets pretty much all suck (there may be some exceptions, but they aren't in the lower price ranges, i'd guess), and are the vast majority of what's being hawked out there right now -- tons and tons of clearance priced $60-$150 tablets are flooding the market right now, and people are being very turned off by how craptastic they and the majority of Android tablet apps are.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    As an owner of TouchPad and now Kindle Fire and Ipad 3, there is a big opening for an openWebOS done right as long as they don't drop the security features when they emphasize the "open". I would not be surprised to see it picked up by some android manufacturer looking to differentiate himself from the others.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    To call developers "brain dead" i think is amazingly naive or at worst willful blindness to reality.

Sidenote: I read some of the articles on Apple rejecting apps and this statement is totally misleading, "not even a reason was given just simply Apple closed the app store doors on their faces without saying a word."

You may have decided not to inquire any further or read more then one article but explanations are given and i've found a couple dated before your post. I even found a forum post on the dropbox website with a developer flat out quoting the explanation that was given to him by apple when his app was rejected. His post reads:

Last night I received a rejection of my 1.2 update because of this very issue.
    '11.13

We found that your app provides access to external mechanisms for purchases or subscriptions to be used in the app, which is not in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines.

Specifically, your app enables to user to create accounts with Dropbox and Google.' post by "Tac. L"
    Apple rejecting applications which use Dropbox. The horror. Dropbox Forums

Also several articles state that dropbox is clearly working with Apple on a solution. You're statement is mostly hyperbole.

And it is not as if Palm never rejected an app before.:
    Palm rejects NaNplayer advanced music player for the App Catalog ?
    http://www.webosnation.com/nanplayer...atalog-updated
    Greetings SnotBoggie.....

Though, I agree with your reasoning(on the webOS development) yet on my comments(about Apple's store rejections) there was nothing misleading about what I said of Apple rejecting apps. Apple failed to provide any reasons to the developers of their app rejection, that was the main reason Devs went to the DropBox forums to ask for any sort of explanation. Only when the workers from the DropBox service questioned Apple, is when they got a response of Apple company of their way of rejection their apps. By the way, I do read more than article when I want to get

Whatever the reason might be, it was silly of Apple to do so. These of one of the things that surprises me would be, when developers keeps on sticking with Apple when it comes to developing apps for their silly platform that only thing that they do best is control/manipulate the user experience. I wonder if developers would do some sort of thing like Dropbox apps put a link directly with iCLOUD, I bet Apple wouldn't reject that app because it gives a direct link to Apple's own service. That's one thing that I hate about Apple, since DropBox or another company tries to compete some way in offering something better than them.......They ultimately decide to reject their apps or play their dirty games of lawsuits. Apple needs to understand that they are not the only company in the world that innovates, other company do that too as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    To be seriously honest, on the palm rejection of that exact app whether it was fair or not.....you could clearly see from the article itself that it was purely out of incompetence out of Palm that actual try to dominate the WebOS platform unlike Apple trying controls everything. Clearly like dignitary mentioned, it was purely an API that Palm wasn't in their capability to implement into their SDK program. Sorry to say, I will side with Palm rejection on this app that I will ever do when Apple decides to reject an application into their stupid Apple's app store.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.