Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First of all: I have Classic running on WebOS 3.0.5 with near to no problems. I want Classic because of a old Palm game I wanted to play again.

The problems I'm having are these:

1. While you can enlarge the actual Palm OS image, the small device skin doesn't. Is there a way or hack to make THAT full screen cause the Palm OS image seems to scale nicely.

2. Unfortunatly the game I wish to play is unsupported in anything above Palm OS 4 and Classic uses a Palm OS 5 image. Is there a way I can replace the ROM.bin file with my own ROM image (I have a Sony Cile Palm OS 4 handheld from which I can legally cull an image) and have Classic use the Palm OS 4? Would it be just that simple or am I over reaching?

I think I might contact the makers of Classic and quietly ask for the source as I'm a part time programmer (error scripting and pathing mostly) so fixing these problems in the code shouldn't be too difficult but not without the actual source. I can even see having a selection in the preferences to use Palm OS 4 or 5. And the full screen thing HAS to be fixed. Nothing might come from my asking, but it doesn't hurt, does it? Any other programmers out there want to help me with this project? I think if more people ask HP Palm and or MotionApps for the source and the people are willing to maintain it, they might just relent and give it to us. I mean, WebOS IS open source now, so why not?
    I would nearly kill for a working version of classic for my TP!!!

I have an old Palm T|X that has a nearly dead battery that I used a LOT, and has a bunch of programs I would love to port over to my Touchpad.

My hope is that HP will release the source for classic to the community to work on and improve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multifaceted.Abnormal View Post
    First of all: I have Classic running on WebOS 3.0.5 with near to no problems. I want Classic because of a old Palm game I wanted to play again.

The problems I'm having are these:

1. While you can enlarge the actual Palm OS image, the small device skin doesn't. Is there a way or hack to make THAT full screen cause the Palm OS image seems to scale nicely.

2. Unfortunatly the game I wish to play is unsupported in anything above Palm OS 4 and Classic uses a Palm OS 5 image. Is there a way I can replace the ROM.bin file with my own ROM image (I have a Sony Cile Palm OS 4 handheld from which I can legally cull an image) and have Classic use the Palm OS 4? Would it be just that simple or am I over reaching?

I think I might contact the makers of Classic and quietly ask for the source as I'm a part time programmer (error scripting and pathing mostly) so fixing these problems in the code shouldn't be too difficult but not without the actual source. I can even see having a selection in the preferences to use Palm OS 4 or 5. And the full screen thing HAS to be fixed. Nothing might come from my asking, but it doesn't hurt, does it? Any other programmers out there want to help me with this project? I think if more people ask HP Palm and or MotionApps for the source and the people are willing to maintain it, they might just relent and give it to us. I mean, WebOS IS open source now, so why not?
    Why not try getting the code for your beloved game, that seems much easier? If you could swing that, then you would just have to recompile it to work with 5.x. But, that sure would be nice to have a TP optimized version of Classic!
    Classic code would be far more beneficial as it can be maintained going forward and will add more utility to current (TP, Pre3) and future devices. Getting the game code will serve only the OP.

The source was donated to HP; it is not their work so I fail to see why they're just sitting on it. Palm did assist w/ the development so maybe there is a line or two of code that has to be removed (dont know, didnt read the EULA)? I agree that they should be contacted again re opening or donating source.
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    Classic code would be far more beneficial as it can be maintained going forward and will add more utility to current (TP, Pre3) and future devices. Getting the game code will serve only the OP.

The source was donated to HP; it is not their work so I fail to see why they're just sitting on it. Palm did assist w/ the development so maybe there is a line or two of code that has to be removed (dont know, didnt read the EULA)? I agree that they should be contacted again re opening or donating source.
    Well, a major hurdle is going to be the propitiatory palm OS code...HP doesn't own this, ACCESS does. I know Palm had some great licensing terms for their continued use of the OS, but I'm not sure if that agreement transferred to HP or if it would be possible for HP to open source classic under the terms of that agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmeister1 View Post
    Well, a major hurdle is going to be the propitiatory palm OS code...HP doesn't own this, ACCESS does. I know Palm had some great licensing terms for their continued use of the OS, but I'm not sure if that agreement transferred to HP or if it would be possible for HP to open source classic under the terms of that agreement.
    There are three parts to classic, first the Rom (com.motionapps.rom) which is part of webOS 1.4.5.x, Service (com.motionapps.service.classic) which is part of webOS 2.0.1, and the App (com.motionapps.app.classic) which is from the App Catalog (findapps).

I have reviewed all (decompiled) the rom is based on the Palm Centro. As an OEM of Access Palm had the full source code, but would not be able to license it open source. I have tried to modify the Rom to work on the Pre3, as it is running a screen of 320 by 320, but have not had any luck.

The app does have code to change the overlay and the html classic.css file to reposition the button images. But the Rom controls the display. The service is the interaction between the app and the Rom.

I would love to help... If you get the source...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 05/02/2012 at 02:01 PM.
  7.    #7  
    I emailed HP, Access, and MotionApps. I offered to create a group to maintain the Classic app and I said that it would simply USE the ROM image and that I wouldn't attempt to decompile it or offer Access propritary information. I doubt anything will come from it because companies like money and holding onto secrets but it's a worth a shot.

I've looked into my problems too. It turns out that it's WebOS that assigned the window to the program. When I have time, I'll work on removing that for Classic or expading the size. Like I said, the ROM image scales nicely.

I replaced ROM.bin with my own copy of the Cile ROM which uses the same resolution as the ROM.bin does. It actuaslly loaded ... for a second and then it crashed out Luna. With work I don't have a lot of time right now. I'm hoping to have some free time next week to work on it more. Right now, fullscreen isn't a priority.

I tried getting the source for the game. GASGORF the company *read group of friends* that made the game Ackeron: Dark Sun still has an active website but their mail service kicks back all incoming as undeliverable.

I'm going to attempt to track them down personally but that seems like a long shot.

As far as getting Classic to work I installed two files and Bob's your uncle; Baggies your aunt it worked! Those two files are attached hereto as a link to a file called Classic.zip. If this link is against the policy here it can be removed.

List of files in zip:

net.arthurthornton.classic-container_1.0_armv7.ipk
    com.motionapps.app.classic_2.1.2_all.ipk
    Note: Files should be installed in order listed. Also: after running the app and closing it, Luna sometimes crashes when attempting reload. it may crash twice in a row but after that Classic is usable again. I don't know what causes that to happen and I really don't care.
    Last edited by Multifaceted.Abnormal; 05/02/2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Bad Grammar
    Others have had success w/ the TP (page 17+ in this thread may be of help). Did you make any changes to the files you linked to, or are they the ones that had been available?

To minimize the crashes, you can try entering airplane mode or other solutions here, or use the trick here to automate it.

Quote Originally Posted by bradmeister1
    Well, a major hurdle is going to be the propitiatory palm OS code...HP doesn't own this, ACCESS does.
    Shouldnt be a problem as the actual Palm OS ROM is not getting distributed. The Classic app can be worked on w/ the responsibility for obtaining the ROM falling on each individual user.

These threads should probably be merged
    Installed on my Pre3; Classic comes up, but none of the built-in apps. Installing the container caused a reset.
    Edit: I dowloaded the free apps, but none come up when I start Classic. And reboots as previously described by MultifacetedAbnormal...
    Last edited by shneor; 05/04/2012 at 01:27 PM.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    Installed on my Pre3; Classic comes up, but none of the built-in apps. Installing the container caused a reset.
    Edit: I dowloaded the free apps, but none come up when I start Classic. And reboots as previously described by MultifacetedAbnormal...
    right, the container was tested only on the Touchpad and is unedited original. However, with that app, resetting has become normal. I have found fixes and they are posted within this thread also.

Also, I haven't recieved back ANY cdommunitcation about classic at all!
    I emailed HP, Access, and MotionApps. I offered to create a group to maintain the Classic app and I said that it would simply USE the ROM image and that I wouldn't attempt to decompile it or offer Access propritary information. I doubt anything will come from it because companies like money and holding onto secrets but it's a worth a shot.

I've looked into my problems too. It turns out that it's WebOS that assigned the window to the program. When I have time, I'll work on removing that for Classic or expading the size. Like I said, the ROM image scales nicely.

I replaced ROM.bin with my own copy of the Cile ROM which uses the same resolution as the ROM.bin does. It actuaslly loaded ... for a second and then it crashed out Luna. With work I don't have a lot of time right now. I'm hoping to have some free time next week to work on it more. Right now, fullscreen isn't a priority.

I tried getting the source for the game. GASGORF the company *read group of friends* that made the game Ackeron: Dark Sun still has an active website but their mail service kicks back all incoming as undeliverable.

I'm going to attempt to track them down personally but that seems like a long shot.

As far as getting Classic to work I installed two files and Bob's your uncle; Baggies your aunt it worked! Those two files are attached hereto as a link to a file called Classic.zip. If this link is against the policy here it can be removed.

List of files in zip:

Note: Files should be installed in order listed. Also: after running the app and closing it, Luna sometimes crashes when attempting reload. it may crash twice in a row but after that Classic is usable again. I don't know what causes that to happen and I really don't care.
    so do I still have to combine the roms from 1.4.5 & 2.1 to get this to work? Is the procedure for 3.0.5 & the touchpad any different from for 2.xx ? Can I get the rom outof my pre? Or do I have to open the files in the doctor?
    does that ipk contain the rom or not?
  13.    #13  
    So I have access to Classics source code. Linux users can use the archive manager to open up ipks and see the messy bits inside. You can open Classic and see the html that makes up the web app. So, my question is this: should we just simply edit it to our liking without HP or motionapps official go ahead?

Also, the Rom lives in the container ipk.
    So I have access to Classics source code. Linux users can use the archive manager to open up ipks and see the messy bits inside. You can open Classic and see the html that makes up the web app. So, my question is this: should we just simply edit it to our liking without HP or motionapps official go ahead?

Classic, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $is$ $a$ $combination$ $of$ $PDK$ $plugin$ $and$ $a$ $carrier$. $So$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $really$ $have$ $the$ $source$ $code$. $Of$ $course$, $you$ $can$ $feel$ $free$ $to$ $patch$ $any$ $apps$ $however$ $you$ $like$ $to$. $Though$ $if$ $you$ $read$ $the$ $App$ $Catalog$ $TOS$, $there$'$s$ $something$ $about$ $reverse$ $engineering$ $IIRC$. $Whatever$.
    You'll have a hard time using Classic with other ROMs. There are some libraries that are prefixed with libMA that are implementations of device features (for instance, a way to connect Classic to the network).

You probably don't want to modify the ROM file to get it to work on the Pre3. I have found that a particular error is omitted by the MAPartsAdapter.so indicating that a screen buffer is not 320 pixels. This kind of makes sense, because the Pre3 is the only device that does not have a 320px width (the TouchPad emulates older apps in "phone" mode at 320px, but.... my theory might be wrong if you guys are allowing Classic to work fullscreen on a TouchPad). Classic appears to dump debug info here: /var/log/MAPartsAdapter.log

If I was better at disassembling binaries, I would see where the error was being logged from, and find a way to ignore the condition that calls it.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.

Motionapps stopped replying to emails over a year ago to even update the serial number changed on my refurb Pre. I received no reply to several requests. I tried calling their number but an automated menu went nowhere. I either couldn't find even voicemail or left a message never returned; can't remember. So I was never able to use Classic again. I bet they went out of business and left the website up. I don't think you can buy it on the app store anymore. I am not the only one they did this to either. If you modify the code please have it bypass the serial check because not being able to use it just isn't right.

BTW, I emailed them and left a post on the HP Palm blog last year requesting the source code since no one would reactivate my phone. I received no response.
    The serial number is stored in a file (I created a save/restore script) to backup and restore.

So if you have a working serial and one modifies the file the above script backs up, it will work...

FYI I have 3 serials (I paid for) each work on each device without any issues...
    Classic was keeping me on the Pre. Once they wouldn't transfer my serial and I could no longer use it.... that was the last straw and I jumped to the Evo 3d.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I changed to another pre plus and I was trying to keep my classic working. I do have the serial number from my previous pre in which Classic was working. How do I find the backup and restore file and put in the serial number from my previous pre so Classic will work. Thank you so much for you help.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    The serial number is stored in a file (I created a save/restore script) to backup and restore.

So if you have a working serial and one modifies the file the above script backs up, it will work...

FYI I have 3 serials (I paid for) each work on each device without any issues...
    I changed to another pre plus and I was trying to keep my classic working. I do have the serial number from my previous pre in which Classic was working. How do I find the backup and restore file and put in the serial number from my previous pre so Classic will work. Thank you so much for you help.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast