Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. leif#WN's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
       #1  
    I got some touchpads for my parents. I got dropbox setup through the quickoffice app on touch pads but I was dissaapointed to see this only works for office files like pdf. It won't even work for epub or mobi ebooks, nor will it work for music or movies. Is there another dropbox app for TP? TP wouldn't even accept email with epub attachment book to read with prprpr $reader$. $It$ $would$ $accept$ $an$ $mp4$ $movie$ $but$ $my$ $email$ $mail$ $client$ $has$ $25$ $mbit$ $file$ $limit$. $The$ $size$ $movies$ $I$ $want$ $to$ $send$ $are$ $about$ $1$.$3$ $gig$. $At$ $least$ $with$ $the$ $quick$ $office$/$dropbox$ $on$ $TP$, $my$ $parents$ $can$ $get$ $a$ $pdf$ $book$ $that$ $I$ $convert$ $from$ $my$ $PC$ $at$ $home$ $from$ $an$ $epub$ $but$ $I$'$d$ $rather$ $not$ $have$ $to$ $this$ $oviously$. $Anyone$ $help$/$advise$?
  2. #2  
    Try the Box app and service included on the TP.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  3. noseph's Avatar
    Posts
    727 Posts
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by leif View Post
    I got some touchpads for my parents. I got dropbox setup through the quickoffice app on touch pads but I was dissaapointed to see this only works for office files like pdf. It won't even work for epub or mobi ebooks, nor will it work for music or movies. Is there another dropbox app for TP? TP wouldn't even accept email with epub attachment book to read with prprpr $reader$. $It$ $would$ $accept$ $an$ $mp4$ $movie$ $but$ $my$ $email$ $mail$ $client$ $has$ $25$ $mbit$ $file$ $limit$. $The$ $size$ $movies$ $I$ $want$ $to$ $send$ $are$ $about$ $1$.$3$ $gig$. $At$ $least$ $with$ $the$ $quick$ $office$/$dropbox$ $on$ $TP$, $my$ $parents$ $can$ $get$ $a$ $pdf$ $book$ $that$ $I$ $convert$ $from$ $my$ $PC$ $at$ $home$ $from$ $an$ $epub$ $but$ $I$'$d$ $rather$ $not$ $have$ $to$ $this$ $oviously$. $Anyone$ $help$/$advise$?
    I'm confused by your post title! Your parents have WiFi and no computer?
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

    Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

    Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

    Twitter: @noseph47
  4. leif#WN's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
       #4  
    everyone actually has pc's and tpd's actually. I'm wondering if I can send media directly to their tpd's remotely without having to transfer first to their pc.
  5. #5  
    Try WiFi TP file browser or WiFi File Sharing in preware.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  6. #6  
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $still$ $need$ $a$ $PC$. $I$'$d$ $like$ $to$ $be$ $proven$ $wrong$ $though$
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by leif View Post
    everyone actually has pc's and tpd's actually. I'm wondering if I can send media directly to their tpd's remotely without having to transfer first to their pc.
    install FTPit! on the touchpads and get them to transfer the files they want via FTP from your PC (provided you can run an FTP client on your PC).

    I do this from my NAS box all the time - haven't transferred media files for months via USB
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  8. leif#WN's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
       #8  
    So ftp will allow me to transfer media files from my PC directly to my parents TP even though were at different locations? Will boxnet do this as was sugguested? Will it do 1.3 gig mp4's? and how about ebooks & music?
  9. #9  
    No it will not. You STILL need a PC for that solution. They did not read, or misinterpreted your question.

    When box.net first came out, you could upload files up to 1GB, they have since reduced the file size upload limit to 100MB, which in your case, is useless unfortunately.
    Last edited by sledge007; 05/01/2012 at 06:55 AM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  10. #10  
    Sorry, I didn't know box had reduced the file sizes.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  11. bable's Avatar
    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    #11  
    Couldn't you set up orb on your desktop, leave it on all the time, and just let them access it all remotely? If they're a little computer literate you could throw linux on their TP and then there should be many more options, even just torrenting their own movies. But they'd have to be able to navigate and use the linux environment which isn't too hard, but...
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
  12. #12  
    Doesn't sound a whole lot different than say KalemSoft, with its streamer. That option might actually be easier for the non-guru to get working. Mind you I haven't looked into Orb at all, so maybe that's just as easy?

    Just throwing ideas in the air.

    @Daughain somewhere between August and October (I think) is when they throttled the upload limits. Stupid me had my TouchPad since July, and didn't get around to setting it up in time.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by leif View Post
    So ftp will allow me to transfer media files from my PC directly to my parents TP even though were at different locations? Will boxnet do this as was sugguested? Will it do 1.3 gig mp4's? and how about ebooks & music?
    yes, if you have media on your pc and have an FTP client enabled, then with ftpit! on your parents touchpad, they can download media from you over the internet. file size doesn't necessarily matter, but trasnfer speed will depend on the broadband at both ends.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    file size doesn't necessarily matter, but trasnfer speed will depend on the broadband at both ends.
    True. Those are large files so you'll need a decent upload speed (5Mbps?). Their download speed will depend on how fast you can upload it to them. Why not convert the movies to lower quality files? You can still get decent viewing at smaller sizes.
  15. #15  
    @Sledge007; I mostly use it to transfer and store files I am tinkering and editing in webos, so rarely use anything bigger than a couple hundred k.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    True. Those are large files so you'll need a decent upload speed (5Mbps?). Their download speed will depend on how fast you can upload it to them. Why not convert the movies to lower quality files? You can still get decent viewing at smaller sizes.
    its a good point, for use on a small screen the files could definitely be reduced. I was simply giving an option to share any type of file wirelessly with the FTP suggestion, although its not always so user friendly
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3

Posting Permissions