Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I'm using native alpha preader for my ebooks. Allot of my books are available in both mobi and epub formats. Is one better than the other? Is it right mobi's work with kindle beta app? If so do people like reading this way? I was wondering if I could upload my mobi books to online kindle library and be able to log on with my multiple kindle devices to remotely download?
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    1. pReader. Personally, I find that epub works better for me. No idea why. Maybe MArtin (Jappus) has done more work on formatting .epubs?
    2. Mobi on Kindle. You can't upload them - you have to email them to a device. If you have multiple devices (real Kindles), each has its own email address. Other devices (Android, PC, TouchPad) need some sort of sideloading method.

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    1. pReader. Personally, I find that epub works better for me. No idea why. Maybe MArtin (Jappus) has done more work on formatting .epubs?
    2. Mobi on Kindle. You can't upload them - you have to email them to a device. If you have multiple devices (real Kindles), each has its own email address. Other devices (Android, PC, TouchPad) need some sort of sideloading method.

Alan
    you can upload mobi with the kindle import app just read the directions carefully. Works like a charm. Preader is great too.
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post

Alan
    You can sideload mobi books on a TouchPad with the Kindle Import app (and move the book wirelessly if you use TBTransfer or one of the other apps that let you move files wirelessly to your TouchPad). If you have a Kindle already, you can also easily move books between your computer and your Kindle if you choose to do so--you just have to use the USB cable. It's very easy to do.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    so if i install kindle import app on TP I will then be able to load mobi books into TP kindle beta app? Because I noticed TP its not letting import mobi books that I've already transfered to TP from PC using usb? What is TBT transfer? My PC doesn't have bluetooth. Since I have kalem player is that a player that can wirelessly load mobi books? I'm inclined to make kindle/mobi work instead of Preader/epub because this is for my parents and I suspect kindle interfface is more user friendly?
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Mobi is owned by Amazon and it's license states that it can be the only ebook format on the device that supports drm. Epub does not have that restriction which is why no one but Amazon has an ebook reader with mobi as it's native reader. Even Sony dropped their proprietary own format for epub. My Cybook reader actually has a firmware option to allow either mobi or epub, but not both because of this.

Gary
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Comparison of e-book formats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There is a handy table of features by file type and another table of file types supported by device on the wiki page linked above.

MOBI is altered by Amazon for their proprietary DRM (Digital Rights Management) and Kindle will accept no other DRM files except their .azw (altered MOBI) files - even if the device supports the file type without DRM...

I like MOBI for small screen... But MOBIPocket Reader unfortunately doesn't install on webOS. Still the files are readable with Preader. I've installed and used MOBIpocket reader on Win XP and 7, old Palm handhelds and Pocket PCs. It also installs on Mac, Linux, Symbian and Blackberry.

MOBI is actually defunct software last updated in 2007. It uses .prc files which came from Palm usage.

The software still works and I use MOBI Reader and Creator quite regularly as an eAuthor/ePublisher.
    Download the free Mobipocket eBook Reader software to read on your PDA and Smartphone.

Calibre is your friend and will transcode between virtually any formats.
    calibre - Download calibre
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    If I download a mobi book from a torrent off the internet, would I be able to read it with kindle beta on my TP?
    If I download a mobi book from a torrent off the internet, would I be able to read it with kindle beta on my TP?

You will need the Kindle import app. It will install mobi's into the Kindle beta.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    in pre-ware or hp catalog? Will I be able to put the same mobi book onto multiple touchpads this way?
    Quote Originally Posted by leif View Post
    so if i install kindle import app on TP I will then be able to load mobi books into TP kindle beta app? Because I noticed TP its not letting import mobi books that I've already transfered to TP from PC using usb? What is TBT transfer? My PC doesn't have bluetooth. Since I have kalem player is that a player that can wirelessly load mobi books? I'm inclined to make kindle/mobi work instead of Preader/epub because this is for my parents and I suspect kindle interfface is more user friendly?
    You need to have the files in the right format for the Kindle app to recognize them. If you load the files without the correct formatting, the Kindle app won't recognize them. Use the Kindle Import app to help you with that or at least read the thread so you understand the formatting needed. Here is the link to the forum thread:
    Kindle Import

Here is the link to the forum thread for TBTransfer, an app to move files between your computer and TP wirelessly:
    New TP app: TBtransfer

Here is the link to the forum thread for another app to move files between your computer and TP wirelessly, WiFi Touchpad File Browser/Uploader :
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-uploader.html

(There is at least one more app that you can use to move files wirelessly but those are the two I have used.)

Hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Alternatively, you can also use Calibre. I've been using this for a while (before TP and Pre) and this also converts (non DRM) books to other formats. And the best thing is it is FREE!

Check it out here - calibre-ebook.com. I have seen on here (another forum post) how to connect everything and once it is done it is very simple. I just can't remember!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I got kindle import working from link above. Link also included calibre instructions so I got that working as well. I think I prefer mobi/kindle app to preader/epub. Less options but easier to use. Unfortunately Kindle app has big blank margins around all 4 sides of screen but not a big deal I guess since TP screen is pretty big anyhow.