• 1 Post By broncot
  • 1 Post By johncc
  • 1 Post By arthurthornton
  • 1 Post By grappler
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  • 1 Post By Rockbeast
  1.    #1  
    origanlly Open WebOS was scheduled on the roadmap for August , but as of today if you check the roadmap at Open webOS | Overview (at the bottom) its pushed back to september from august.
    September has always been the target, afaikafaikafaik.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    September has always been the target, afaikafaikafaik.
    That was my understanding too.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Yep, September has always been the target for the release of Open webOS 1.0. You can see it in the original press release here: HP to Commit webOS to Open Source by Fall 2012
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    the beta was targeted for August AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Yes, and still is according to the schedule
    Oh how soon we forget!

Isnt the word uncertainty a Palm/HP synonym? Arent roadmap changes and 'coming months' statements par for the course? Then why the discussion? Why the surprise (OP)?

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $they$'$re$ $still$ $on$ $schedule$, $but$ $should$ $that$ $change$, $how$ $best$ $to$ $present$ $their$ $consistency$ $award$ $should$ $be$ $the$ $only$ $topic$ $of$ $discussion$.
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    Oh how soon we forget!

Isnt the word uncertainty a Palm/HP synonym? Arent roadmap changes and 'coming months' statements par for the course? Then why the discussion? Why the surprise (OP)?

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $they$'$re$ $still$ $on$ $schedule$, $but$ $should$ $that$ $change$, $how$ $best$ $to$ $present$ $their$ $consistency$ $award$ $should$ $be$ $the$ $only$ $topic$ $of$ $discussion$.
    Seems unnecessarily snarky considering that they've nailed every single milestone so far. Not fair to paint Meg with the Leo brush--yet.
    arthurthornton likes this.
    The discussion is because the OP THOUGHT it was slated for August, and THOUGHT it got pushed back to September, when in fact, it's been September all along, and the OP THOUGHT wrong. That's why this is being discussed. Nothing to do with previous road maps, "in the coming months", etc. We are almost at the halfway point now......it's all downhill from there.

Not that I don't see where you're coming from, I'm well aware of their previous track record, but it seems to me like they're right on schedule with a clear direction on when it will be completed.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    arthurthornton likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Seems unnecessarily snarky considering that they've nailed every single milestone so far. Not fair to paint Meg with the Leo brush--yet.
    Did the widgets (scheduled for February) ever get released?
    Quote Originally Posted by NewTouchPadUser View Post
    Did the widgets (scheduled for February) ever get released?
    Yes they did.

http://www.webosnation.com/enyo-20-u...-platform-look
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    So far HP's been on or ahead of schedule with all Open webOS releases. At this juncture I cannot forecast whether future releases will come according to the roadmap, but it's open source - they can be released incomplete (see: Ares 2).
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    The discussion is because the OP THOUGHT it was slated for August, and THOUGHT it got pushed back to September, when in fact, it's been September all along, and the OP THOUGHT wrong. That's why this is being discussed. Nothing to do with previous road maps, "in the coming months", etc. We are almost at the halfway point now......it's all downhill from there.

Not that I don't see where you're coming from, I'm well aware of their previous track record, but it seems to me like they're right on schedule with a clear direction on when it will be completed.
    I understood that even before I posted. I thought that admitting it in the last line would hint at my veiled, well-meaning sarcasm.
    I changed the batteries in my sarcasm meter.
    Veering a little off topic now that the OP's question has been answered..... but in a nutshell, and in noob/lamens terms, what does this Open WebOS mean? I'm guessing that it's going to release the open source code for people to start making apps for it?
    Yes, but also that the OS could be used for cheap (read, free!) on other's hardware. So a hardware manufacturer could install webOS open souce on their device without paying a fee to a closed source owner of the OS. I think that is the case...but I've been wrong twice before in my life.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I changed the batteries in my sarcasm meter.
    LOL was gonna ask if you had your coffee yet today
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    That was yesterday..... don't work Wednesdays, so I had probably just gotten up, and probably about as sharp as a marble at that time
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    That was yesterday..... don't work Wednesdays, so I had probably just gotten up, and probably about as sharp as a marble at that time
    But marbles aren't sharp, they are the oppo...

oh...

Never mind.

About that coffee....
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

sledge007 likes this.