1.    #1  
    Hi,
    Is there a player that can manage .mts files?
    I have a Panasonic sd600 camcorder, and it only records in .mts format.
    I'd rather not convert them and lose quality, but may have to anyway I guess - at the max quality setting, my camcorder records 1080p 50fps .mts files.
    Also while I'm here, can .vob files be played on Touchpad also?

Thanks
    According to Wikipedia, mts has the same specs as mp4. Try changing the video filename extension from .mts to .mp4
    HP -> Land Line ... Palm -> Pre2 ... HP -> TP64gb
    Renaming may work as .vob files are also mpeg in disguise. It may require codecs, so dont expect too much.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks ,

Renaming .mts to mp4 worked - but unfortunately the video is to high quality to play smoothly, either that, or codecs would be needed.

Renaming .vob to mpeg didnt work, but renaming to .mpg worked.

I'll look for the best converting software on my PC for my .mts files.
    I know I had pretty good software that would convert them for suitable playing on the Ipad.(x264 .mp4 I think) I'm guessing it would do the job for the Touchpad also.
    Video Converter, DVD Ripper - Any Video converter - The versatile video converter for iPod, iPhone, PSP, Zune, cell phones and more

try this,works very well

set it to proper resolution (1080x720), mp4 type, at about 1500bitrate (2000 for very high quality, but you might not see much difference if any, depends on the video and mouvement)
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 04/29/2012 at 11:46 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Video Converter, DVD Ripper - Any Video converter - The versatile video converter for iPod, iPhone, PSP, Zune, cell phones and more

try this,works very well

set it to proper resolution (1080x720), mp4 type, at about 1500bitrate (2000 for very high quality, but you might not see much difference if any, depends on the video and mouvement)
    Thanks.

I also found an excellent setting on Cyberlink Power Director for converting my 1080p 50fps .mts files:
    Mpeg4, High Quality (not top quality, the next one down), 50fps, quaility vs speed slider bar set to maximum quality (7), and the rest of the settings left as they allready are.

Gives very good results, better than the high quality ipad setting on the same software.
    Quote Originally Posted by theVenerable View Post
    Renaming .mts to mp4 worked - but unfortunately the video is to high quality to play smoothly, either that, or codecs would be needed.
    Keep in mind the encoding is DVD quality and thus has very high audio and video bit rates. As long as the audio and video play codecs arent needed; just convert to lower quality - 720p max w/ low to mid video rates and low audio (you dont need decent audio for movies on a tablet).
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    Keep in mind the encoding is DVD quality and thus has very high audio and video bit rates. As long as the audio and video play codecs arent needed; just convert to lower quality - 720p max w/ low to mid video rates and low audio (you dont need decent audio for movies on a tablet).
    Yes, I tried a few settings, this is the best I have come up with as I say:

Cyberlink Power Director for converting my 1080p 50fps .mts files:
    Mpeg4, High Quality (not top quality, the next one down), 50fps, quaility vs speed slider bar set to maximum quality (7), and the rest of the settings left as they allready are.

Impressed with the results, and the files are a pretty small size considering the quality.
    Also, surprising as it may sound, If I convert to 30fps instead of the original 50, I actually lose quality, and the video file is a slightly bigger size.
    Perhaps this is due to the Video being a native 50fps, so when its converted to 50fps, it needs less work/processing power to do so.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theVenerable View Post
    Yes, I tried a few settings, this is the best I have come up with as I say:

Cyberlink Power Director for converting my 1080p 50fps .mts files:

Impressed with the results, and the files are a pretty small size considering the quality.
    Also, surprising as it may sound, If I convert to 30fps instead of the original 50, I actually lose quality, and the video file is a slightly bigger size.
    Perhaps this is due to the Video being a native 50fps, so when its converted to 50fps, it needs less work/processing power to do so.

Thanks
    I'm a bit perplexed with the 50fps... not many cameras do this, and just about everything is 30fps, I'm surprised that the Touchpad would display at 50fps (at least without stuttering or slowing down). If you use 2-pass during conversion at 30fps, there should not be really any reason that there would be a difference aside that the codec used for your size causes some difficulties.

Just went and read info about your camcorder, and they do state that the 50fps setting is not a standard and can cause playback issues in other devices / editing software. But if it's working for you, that's great.... the quality must be outstanding.

I've used Cyberlink software before, gave me trouble and the quality was just average so I stopped bothering with it.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 05/02/2012 at 11:22 AM.